Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2001, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

M. capricornis placement...

I did a search and came up short on M. capricornis placement. So, I was wanting to get some opinions. I read through the thread on this board on placement and how people have seen it affect growth patterns of Acropora and M. digi ( http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbull...threadid=24638 ). So, I recently recieved a M. capri frag and would like to know the best route on placement.

So if flow and lighting are met which is the optimal position for growth in M. capricornis, Perpendicular or Vertical to the surface? Will this effect the growth patterns of this coral as it does in branching SPS? Does one direction induce more encrusting as it does in a M. digitata? Or does it even really matter in a coral with this type growth pattern?

Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Modo; 09/27/2001 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09/27/2001, 05:24 PM
Guakamolian Nemesis

What type of lighting and placement did the coral come from?

What type of lighting do you have?

I ususally start all corals at the bottom and then move them up in time.

Carlos

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
Old 09/27/2001, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Carlos- I guess I wasn't too clear, actually flow and lighting is not what I am concerned about. I am interested more about growth patterns in correlation to horizontal or vertical placement as was discussed in the thread I linked above.

For example, it was noted in the thread that some have seen that branching SPS (Digitata and some acro) actually put out more "branches" when mounted horizontally than those mounted vertically. I was wondering if the "whirled" type sps frags are affected like this also (well of course not branching). Has anyone that has experience with this seen a difference in structure?

Thanks again...
Old 09/28/2001, 02:29 AM
Montiporaholic

i prefer to mount just about everything horizontally, or obliquely, especially plating Montipora.

you'll get a much nicer encrustation out of the coral in the long run, with a more stable base, and once it starts plating the coral will grow evenly (and darn cool lookin ). mounting plating coral frags on their edge results in a coral that you can tell was grown from a frag of x shape, glued in x manner usually. IMO corals mounted horizontally look like theyve grown to fit the system perfectly.

HTH

Tim
Old 09/28/2001, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Therman,
That is exactly what I was wanting to know.

By-the-way, the frags you sent me are doing great!
Old 09/28/2001, 12:13 PM
Montiporaholic

awesome glad to hear it!
Old 09/28/2001, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

In my experience, it doesn't seem to matter much how the initial frag is oriented. M. capricornus seems to inevitably find a growth pattern unrelated to the original orientation. I almost think that the best approach is to start with the tiniest possible frag, which makes the orientation less of a factor.
Old 09/28/2001, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

I agree with doug, They do have a pattern all there own.

Mine is taking over; ofcourse, I do have a 20g hex
Old 09/28/2001, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

I agree about mounting plating monti's horizontally. Every one that I have has been done in that manner and they seem to have very nice shapes. I got some of therman's plating montipora'a and have mounted them accordingly. Start with great frags and you are sure to have something very nice.

my 120 sps tank:
http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html
www.marshreef.org/members