Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/24/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

My small little reef

This is a custom made (by me) acrylic tank, 180 gal, 1/2" thickness, half eurobraced. This thread should serve as a picture database for my tank. You are all welcome to look

Old 08/24/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/24/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

soho

Do you have any problems with your SoHo tang beating up on other fish? I know several people that have had that problem just curious.

Batavia, Ohio
Old 08/24/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

wow you are actually lecturing other people about keeping tangs in small confines when you are keeping a sohal in that "tiny" aquarium?
Old 08/24/2007, 05:26 PM
g0t fIsH

could you post current fish list?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/24/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: soho

Quote:
Originally posted by Baggerhog
Do you have any problems with your SoHo tang beating up on other fish? I know several people that have had that problem just curious.
None. No agression at all, but the tang is still an adolescent fish, so you can't ever know until they are adults.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clekchau
wow you are actually lecturing other people about keeping tangs in small confines when you are keeping a sohal in that "tiny" aquarium?
Huh? .. I just read your post again, and still don't understand it. You quote 'tiny', as if to insult the size of my tank. How is that insulting? I have a small tank compared to most people in this thread. And a big one, compared to most people.

And I have two tangs in an 180 gal tank. How is that small confines for two tangs?? Again, I am still confused by your post.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
could you post current fish list?
4x Green Chromis (Chromis Atripectoralis)
Clarki Clown (Amphiprion Clarkii)
Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus Cinctus)
Splendid Dottyback (Pseudochromis Splendens)
Full Moon Reef Goby (Priolepis Nocturna)
White Ring Tang (Acanthurus blochii)
Magnificent Rabbitfish (Siganus Magnifica)
Sohal Tang (Acanthurus Sohal)
Old 08/24/2007, 07:48 PM

I love those magnificents. I wish I knew about them before I got my foxface. But my foxface is very social and fun to interact with. The "white ring tang" is one of the bristletooth family?
Old 08/24/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atomikk
Huh? .. I just read your post again, and still don't understand it. You quote 'tiny', as if to insult the size of my tank. How is that insulting? I have a small tank compared to most people in this thread. And a big one, compared to most people.

And I have two tangs in an 180 gal tank. How is that small confines for two tangs?? Again, I am still confused by your post.
tiny is not meant to insult your tank size but to compare it to what the sohal tang usually considers as its territory in its natural state which is several miles at the very least.

a tang that will get almost 2 feet will be cramped in your "tiny" tank especially when its natural home is so much more. thats not even counting the blochii which will get 18 inches or so in the wild and is on webwetmedia's list of band acanthurus to keep. can you comprehend that? i mean its the same rational you were using to lecture goodwin on his aquarium, can you not see the hypocrisy or is your confusion more of a delusion?
Old 08/24/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I love those magnificents. I wish I knew about them before I got my foxface. But my foxface is very social and fun to interact with. The "white ring tang" is one of the bristletooth family?
The magnificent rabbit is awesome.. so personable. But so is my Sohal. It taught the other fish to eat out of my hand.

The white ring is a part of the Acanthurus family. I don't think its a part of the bristletooth family. Atlantic Blue, Kole, and Tomini are the only ones that I can think of right now that are bristletooth.

I might add an angel, but that would be going over my limits for fish. Plus, I don't want my clams nipped.
Old 08/24/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clekchau
tiny is not meant to insult your tank size but to compare it to what the sohal tang usually considers as its territory in its natural state which is several miles at the very least.

a tang that will get almost 2 feet will be cramped in your "tiny" tank especially when its natural home is so much more. thats not even counting the blochii which will get 18 inches or so in the wild and is on webwetmedia's list of band acanthurus to keep. can you comprehend that? i mean its the same rational you were using to lecture goodwin on his aquarium, can you not see the hypocrisy or is your confusion more of a delusion?
You know, once you start to criticize Chucks tank, then I will listen to your hypocritical 'advice'. Because right now, your opinion is insignificant. You direct your anger towards someone who keeps 10 fish (2 of whom will eventually get big) in a 180 gallon tank.. with a footprint of 6'x3'. You are like a person who is criticizing people who smoke but then you applaud those who do drugs.

Unless you change your tune, please don't crap on my thread. I don't want to get moderation involved.
Old 08/24/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Ok now for us equipment junkies, I would love to see pictures of what you are using.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08/24/2007, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atomikk
You know, once you start to criticize Chucks tank, then I will listen to your hypocritical 'advice'. Because right now, your opinion is insignificant. You direct your anger towards someone who keeps 10 fish (2 of whom will eventually get big) in a 180 gallon tank.. with a footprint of 6'x3'. You are like a person who is criticizing people who smoke but then you applaud those who do drugs.

Unless you change your tune, please don't crap on my thread. I don't want to get moderation involved.
if someone is going to keep 2 tangs that will grow to almost 2 feet in length in a 180 gallon 6 foot long tank, they have no room to criticize or give advice to anyone about keeping tangs, period.

get moderation involved all you want, i will point them to where you "crapped" in chuck's thread for almost 2 pages. in fact, a mod even deleted some of your posts.

don't worry this is my last post in your thread, it doens't feel good when someone craps in your thread, does it? you can sure dish it out but aren't too good and taking it huh, those in glass houses...
Old 08/24/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

If you have a problem with me, PM me about it. You obviously don't have forum etiquette.

And BTW, you sure know how to give advice, especially advice to a person who holds a tank that is 3 times my size and houses 6 times more fish. Do you realize how inexperienced you really sound?

Anyway, sorry that this got a bit off topic. I don't have any control over people's posts. Some people just don't have reason and logic, and again I apologize for their banter.

Pictures of my equipment will soon come. I am in the process of building my own sump. Its going to be 1/2" acrylic with eurobracing and simple design. I don't know if I am going the baffle route as right now I am microbubble free.
Old 08/25/2007, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

No, no you two go on... This has been enjoyable in some strange way...

Peace
Old 08/25/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
No, no you two go on... This has been enjoyable in some strange way...

Peace
LOL i know what you mean.. it goes on all the time on AP.ca..(toronto reef site..)

i come to RC to get a way from this kind of thing but the people on ap had to bring it over here.!! LOl

btw the tank looks good for the short time its been running, nice corals/coloneys
Old 08/25/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

It is in regards to this thread. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1022748

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/26/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I have that same bristletooth (Blochii) Atomikk. Watch out, he'll get pretty aggressive as he grows. He's no too much trouble in my tank, b/c he's one of the smaller tangs.
Old 08/26/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip on the Blochii. I do have enough swimming space for all the fish to get their aggression out (not to mention creative rockwork for quick escapes from terror. Plus, no more tangs for me. Two is enough.