Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

frag tank cycling?

I am setting up a frag tank in the garage, and was wondering how long I will need to let it cycle? I'll have a small skimmer on it, and it will be exclusively frags, with a barebottom. I know some people who have used a few gallons of mature tank water and had a frag tank running in a few days. what are your opinions? thanks.
Old 12/01/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Its not really the water that is "cycled," its the rock and substrate. If you have rock thats established it will cut down on the cycle time.
Old 12/01/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I was planning on putting no rock/substrate
Old 12/01/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Or, you could use a large sump and put your rock and sand in there. I am setting up a 167 gallon frag system as we speak. It has a 75 gallon sump. I am going to use sand in the frag tank, and a bunch of LR in the sump. I may also stack LR in the rear of the frag tank as well to block the view of the wall behind it.
Old 12/02/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

you could put some rock in there to help cycle it faster, then remove after
Always test your cycle, don't just say "the ppl on the board said 2 weeks, lets murder some fish and corals!"
Depends on how much cycled water you add, how often you do a water change, if you add LR, If you add ANY bioload, and how much
ect ect
Old 12/02/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

If there is any beneficial bacteria in the water column, it would be a minimal amount compared to that within cured LR and LS. You need to provide the bacteria a place to colonize; this means you will need something in your sump or frag tank to provide that place. Hope that helps!
Old 12/03/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

if you were to, say , start a little prop tank say 10 gal, could you just fill it all with mature water and not have to worry about a cycle?
Old 12/04/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

You will still need some established rock or sand. The water is not "cycled."
Old 12/04/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Cycled is a term used to describe the amount of NO2 and ammonia proccessing bacteria vs the bio load that is in the tank. No this so called mature water will do nothing for the "cycle" of the tank. you need as kaserpick said a place for the bacterial to colinize. if you arnt having a sump i would suggest useing a Hang on back filter or a canister filter to harbor bacteria. but you need to clean the mechanical filtration parts in these filter every coulpe of day depending on bio load because they wil be a nitrate trap and over whel the benifical bacteria in the filter. If you can i woud put LR rubble in the back corners of the tank as well.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

I agree, liverock rubble is a good idea. I have that and a tiny bit of sand in mine. But then again, my frag tank is attached to my main tank, so it really didn't need to cycle anyway. I like the sump idea too, I would do both sump and LR rubble with sand.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

Frag tank

Is there a benefit to having sand/LR in the tank vs. the sump? Is it best to have some of both in each?
Old 12/11/2007, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

that depends on how much is in the sump and how much flow you have through the sump. it can be done successfully tho.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

i have just setted up my frag tank the the lr has finished its cycle perfect water perameters... my question is how long do i now leave it before i add frags
Old 12/27/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

I generally like to wait a week or so once I get "perfect" readings just to make sure everything stays stable.

Also, you could put small rubble or CC on the bottom of the frag display so that any fallen corals have something to attach to. Personal preference, really. Works nicely if you grow a lot of shrooms.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

thanks DAEMONFLY. i like the rubble tip also