Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Got some nice clams on sale this week..

Last edited by Goodwin9; 08/22/2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:54 PM

you crack me up Chuck...

That wrasse is sweet. What does it eat? And BTW, I have seen two fish suck up opposite ends of the nori strips and meet in the middle several times. They don't seem to mind!
Old 08/22/2007, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
you crack me up Chuck...

That wrasse is sweet. What does it eat? And BTW, I have seen two fish suck up opposite ends of the nori strips and meet in the middle several times. They don't seem to mind!
I've never seen one like it before...I hope he like hi-test KIZAMI nori... He took off under the rocks right after I got those pictures and didn't see him out tonight during feeding.

Tomorrow will be the big test for KIZAMI. Sheet of Nori on one side of the tank..KIZAMI on the other. Results tomorrow night....
Old 08/22/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

thats a neat wrasse goodwin9. I've not seen that before. The clams should help with the nitrates too. Some clam farmers actually feed their clams high nitrate solutions.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

i havent been checking up on this tank in a couple of months and i gotta tell you that it looks amazing!! ill stop by more often..i promise
Old 08/22/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

dang chuck those are some sweet clams. i wish I knew you were ordering some or I would have asked to get in on the deal.

i have never seen that type of wrasse before but it very beautiful.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Goodwin9
I've never seen one like it before...I hope he like hi-test KIZAMI nori... He took off under the rocks right after I got those pictures and didn't see him out tonight during feeding.

Tomorrow will be the big test for KIZAMI. Sheet of Nori on one side of the tank..KIZAMI on the other. Results tomorrow night....
That's a bit sadistic don't you think? Why confuse the poor fish like that?
Old 08/22/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Great work on the tank. That is a very ambitious undertaking! Have any recent full tank shots to share?
Old 08/22/2007, 10:24 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

gotta love clams. If you ever need to get rid of them I'm sure they would love my 58gal tank w/ my 4 clams

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 08/22/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I just spent the last 2 hours reading this thread and all i can say is HOLY **** THIS SET UP IS AWESOME!
Old 08/22/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

ufff very pretty wrasse, how much is the cost of it ? (more or less)
180 gal. Reef with Euro-Reef RC 500, MidwestAquatic Sulfur Denitrifier, AC3, Dart return pump, Hammerhead w/2 WavySeas, 3 400 watts MH bulbs w/ VHO Actinics, 1/2 Compact DI TW Chiller, Osmolator, etc.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Wow! I read this whole thread in one day... My eyes are so sore... That is a wonderful tank! Really something for me to look at during those tank-lulls when I consider selling it all and buying a ton of worthless crap. I must say that your tank gives me the ambition to keep chugging through and one day I'll have a beautiful tank just like yours!

What plans do you have in the long term for corals? Just see it, want it, buy it? Or do you have things in particular you are looking for? The possibilities with a tank like that are endless!

Too bad those nay-sayers had to make an appearance. Oh well, it happens. Just like those people who come into the gym, choose the treadmill next to you, are downhill, and naturally have to be flatulant.
Old 08/23/2007, 03:01 AM
g0t fIsH

Chuck i will advise you not too add any more fish if you dont intend on feeding them at least 6 times daily . pencil have some really cool colors to him. also how big are those new clams added? when will you be ready for a bigger display ?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/23/2007, 07:28 AM

That's just not right Bart...I mean, he practically has a full-time job just taking care of the tanks he already has...I can't imagine what it's like keeping them all clean!
Old 08/23/2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
Chuck i will advise you not too add any more fish if you dont intend on feeding them at least 6 times daily . pencil have some really cool colors to him. also how big are those new clams added? when will you be ready for a bigger display ?
The Squamosa is a little over 6" and the two Croceas are 5". The wrasse does have intersting coloration..just hope that he is reef safe as I haven't been able to find any info on them.
Old 08/23/2007, 01:18 PM

One of those little lessons I have learned, is that nothing is really reef safe. Animals live on the reef for protection AND prey.
Old 08/23/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

i'm pretty new to this salt stuff (almost a year now), and i dream of a tank such as this 600g behemoth' oh one day, perhaps. good for you goodwin, would just like to ask though... wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to build an acrylic house in the ocean?
Old 08/23/2007, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Prodd
i'm pretty new to this salt stuff (almost a year now), and i dream of a tank such as this 600g behemoth' oh one day, perhaps. good for you goodwin, would just like to ask though... wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to build an acrylic house in the ocean?
I understand that is on the "Next" project list for Jonathan. I am waiting to see if his house leaks before I make the big jump. The ocean is a long ways away from South Dakota and the Big Sioux River just wouldn't be the same....
Old 08/23/2007, 05:26 PM

Prodd:

[welcome]
Old 08/24/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

isn't it ironic that atomikk almost ruined this thread by lecturing you about keeping tangs in such small, crowded confines, yet he has a freaking sohal tang who's territory is normally several football fields in a tiny 180?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1192123
Old 08/24/2007, 05:20 PM
g0t fIsH

hes just making sure that no one else make the same mistake he did
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/24/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

LOL no doubt, and he doesn't seem to like a taste of his own medicine
Old 08/25/2007, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
Chuck - Where did you find that nori? I'd love to try it w/ my Yellow tang!

Lunchbucket
Next time you are in SF, you can stop buy and pick up a jar if you want. My tangs are taking a liking to it. Much easier for them to eat.
Old 08/25/2007, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kaledrina
Wow! I read this whole thread in one day... My eyes are so sore... That is a wonderful tank! Really something for me to look at during those tank-lulls when I consider selling it all and buying a ton of worthless crap. I must say that your tank gives me the ambition to keep chugging through and one day I'll have a beautiful tank just like yours!

What plans do you have in the long term for corals? Just see it, want it, buy it? Or do you have things in particular you are looking for? The possibilities with a tank like that are endless!

Too bad those nay-sayers had to make an appearance. Oh well, it happens. Just like those people who come into the gym, choose the treadmill next to you, are downhill, and naturally have to be flatulant.
Thank you! My original plans for the tank and corals was to have it predominately an SPS tank.

But plans have changed some what. My lack of experience and success with those particular corals has changed my thinking.

First, I don't really have the patience to wait for a 1" frag to grow into a nice 6" coral. I like the variety of fish that I have in my tank which probably contributes to the less than perfect water parameters I have at the present time. These parameters are tough for SPS to live and grow. I turned to adding some of the easier corals which have been doing very well in the tank.

I think that this tank will be a constant work in progress. In my case, I happen to have several tanks that I can move things around in so if I don't like something, I can move it to one of the other tanks to get the look I am looking for.

My first two reefs, I haven't been able to keep clams for some reason. ( I assume I have something going after them), but in this tank, they are doing very well and now have 14. It's still going to be trials and errors with this tank and hope that I year from now I have a tank full of happy fish and corals........
Old 08/25/2007, 05:57 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1192529