Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2007, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

I would turn the tank on edge but the corner to corner length is more than 8' and I only have 8' ceilings in the basement. On a side note I will beat this thing............ It's just going to take time. As long as my fish are happy in their rubermaid home I'm o.k too. Just feel bad for them in that small space compared to the 180g they have know since I got them.

Looks like I will have to try the ways that have been mentioned to thicken the epoxy. When this runs out I will order more and some of the filler or what is recommended by the guy @ the store.

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 07/12/2007, 10:35 AM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by Cougarman
I'm not sure if the question is for me, but yes I have water in it. Its a full fledged reef now, and been running for about 1.5 years. No leaks. Clck on my gallery icon.
KW-Reefer you should be able to fix the it with no problem, how long the fish been in rubbermaid?

very nice Cougarman, i like how 2x4 was used to support side walls thats exactly how i helped my friend build his 800gal.. hinges on the rear to access sump and pumps area is nice addition also.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/12/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

sorry to beat a dead horse, but you should be able to epoxy the vertical walls with a paint roller, the same way you paint your house walls eith paint.
Old 07/12/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys.

As I said I will try a combination of all the suggestions until I find one that works out best in my situation. As for the fish. They have been in the Rubbermaid's for about 3 weeks. I do water changes weekly and they are all still eating and frisky as normal. I just feel guilty as they do not have the room that they need or are accustomed to. I have lost all of my corals though the move really stressed them as did the drive to the new house on a really hot day. Then a bristle worm got creamed in one of the power heads in the night and I did not know, You can guess what put them over the edge I'm sure. I am so upset that I lost my bubble that had been in my care forever. Thus is life I suppose and I am grateful for the time we shared over the years and it allowing me the opportunity to share in it's life and learn from it, I will miss it.

Enough of my ramblings now I need to get back to work.

Thanks to you all for the continued support, Now I do have to beat it into submission. Not only for my fish and I but for all of you as well.

James

PS. You did a great job Cougarman. I hope that you are enjoying your hard work.

--WaltSmith--
Old 08/20/2007, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

IT"S ALIVE AT LAST!!!!!!!!!

It's Alive!!!!!!!!

Took me sanding down the whole one corner and applying 3 layers of 6oz fiberglass tape and 3 coats of cabosil thickened epoxy but I did it............. For good measure (Cbui2 will be proud of me here) I re-did all of the corners the exact same way minus the sanding down mess and then applied one coat of the same mixture to the sides,front,back and bottom. I have water circulating in the main tank as I write this and am waiting for the remaining Sch 40 pipe to come in on Wednesday. I will be picking up the glass for the baffles in the sump tomorrow and installing those asap. The refuge is plumbed in and as stated the closed loop is done. Just waiting on the last 20' of pipe and some minor fittings. I hope to have the sump leak tested as I did drill a hole near the bottom edge of my old 180 gallon. Man was that fun, It ended o.k though just a little nerve wracking. Next time I'm good to go. I will have pics up as soon as I can, There is still so much I have to do.....................

Thanks for the support and man oh man am I glad that I did not give up......

Keep it real.

KW-Reefer

--WaltSmith--
Old 08/20/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Sweet man congrats..nice work..Cant wait for the new pics

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/20/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

good job. Good to hear its coming together.
Old 08/21/2007, 02:34 PM
g0t fIsH

very sweet KW-Reefer, i am so glad everything work out great for you. its always better IMO to over build then under.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/27/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

cant wait for this one!
Old 08/27/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Way to go KW-Reefer!!! I don't like to get licked by any projects but I must admit, if I had been in your shoes...I may have given up.

I always have TONS of respect for those of you with the guts to build your own large tanks, no matter what the material. Wood by far seems like the most daunting; probably because it fights against me when I'm working with it and water is concerned.

Keep up the awesome work!