Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2005, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

detritus on the bottom of sand bed

I have a 50 gallon tank that I use as a refugium and it has 5-6 inches of sand functioning as a dsb. My tank is 120 gallons and I have a DLS roll that functions as mechanical filtration prior to reaching the dsb/sump - the water flows comes down and flows into the sump via a pvc pipe with holes drilled on the top at the surface level of the water. How can I get rid of the detritus that seems to collect on the sand in the sump - it has accumulated to about 1/8" inch in some places? Should I just stir up the sand with the skimmer working and the return pump shut off for a hour or so? Should I use snails, sand star, hermits, slug? Everything seems pretty happy now so should I do nothing? It has gotten a little bit better with the addition of a few snails and the small snails that seem to be procreating in the sump.

Attached is a drawing of my sump
Attached Files
File Type: xls sump picture.xls (17.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 06/12/2005, 10:40 PM
Worm person

You can just syphon the detritus out. Worms are a good control of left over foods, sand sifting stars eat inbed fauna, hermits prefer meat over detritus, slugs are usually specific sponge/tunicate/other sessile animals predators.
Old 06/12/2005, 11:10 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

Fighting conchs are great on sandbed detritus.

BTW, how do you open an .xls file?
Old 06/13/2005, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys! open an xls. file with Excel. I have been thinking about buying a "cleaner crew" package so I will have to include the conchs and some snails (crabless package from etropicals :-)