Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/29/2007, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

I bought the 48" Nova Extreme Pro 3 weeks ago. There was no need to wait a month for it, they have them in stock @ Marine Depot. Ordered it on Tuesday and had it on Friday.

I like the fixture a lot. You can read my review of it at the bottom of this thread @ Michigan Reefers by >>CLICKING HERE

The fans aren't horribly loud. If you walk up to the tank and are listening for them, of course you can here them. But they don't stand out over the rest of the operational noise of the tank.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chopstix
I bought the 48" Nova Extreme Pro 3 weeks ago. There was no need to wait a month for it, they have them in stock @ Marine Depot. Ordered it on Tuesday and had it on Friday.

I like the fixture a lot. You can read my review of it at the bottom of this thread @ Michigan Reefers by >>CLICKING HERE

The fans aren't horribly loud. If you walk up to the tank and are listening for them, of course you can here them. But they don't stand out over the rest of the operational noise of the tank.
i have the 36" Pro and i also felt that the fans were far from a noise issue.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

my 72 inch will be here on thursday
Old 12/29/2007, 09:43 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The fans themselves don't make hardly any noise but the sound of the air pulling through is pretty evident. My tank is hardly quite and the noise pretty much drowned out everything else but it isn't bad. It sounds like the noise you hear coming from an outdoor dryer vent or your blower in your car on a higher setting. It's not annoying at all like the whine some fans make.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:48 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

good to know

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 12/30/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rwinfrey
my 72 inch will be here on thursday
we're starting to get a nice little family of Pro owners goin here
Old 12/30/2007, 01:19 AM

I sense a "Nova Pro Club" coming
Old 12/30/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

im in...
Old 12/30/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

and so it begins...
Old 12/30/2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

So hanging this light would be a bad idea? I'm buying a Rimless tank and was thinking of hanging a MH light or a T5 Fixture. It wouldn't look too good on my tank hanging it lower than 12". Does that mean that I need to keep most of my SPS Corals/Clams no lower than 8-10" from the top of the tank with the 6Bulbs configuration? Also how does the factory bulb configuration for the Extreme Pro looks? Is it Blue enough or is it more Yellow? Please let me know. I'm thinking about purchasing one and wonder if I need to add additional Blue bulbs.

thanks,
Old 12/30/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

They do sell an optional hanging kit for the fixture.

With the 3 10,000k bulbs, there's not a lot of yellow IMO with the 3 blues. You are getting into an area that's very subjective though. What I think is a good look in a tank you might think is a washed out look and someone else might think is too yellow or blue, etc. It has a lot to do with personal preference. There are a good selection of bulbs on the market though to be able to keep all of us happy!

You could get bluer blue lights for it to be sure. One thing I would caution however is to measure the length of the bulbs before ordering replacements. I haven't done this yet with mine but I do know there are about 3 different length bulbs on the market for a 48" fixture. There obviously isn't an agreed upon industry standard out there yet for the length of T5 bulbs.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Good morning,

Excellent thread!

Has anyone heard of information regarding Nova offering a reflector upgrade to owners of these lights?
Mine is about a year old and obviously does not utilize the individual/still single reflector. Does Nova claim that this light out performs it's earlier models? Obviously your testing and reporting will be the most believeable and honest information available on the subject matter.
Thanks to everyone out there keeping it real. Manufacturer hype alone can not justify dropping another $450.00 to only gain a small percentage of light output.

Barry

Barry
Old 12/30/2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
They do sell an optional hanging kit for the fixture.

With the 3 10,000k bulbs, there's not a lot of yellow IMO with the 3 blues. You are getting into an area that's very subjective though. What I think is a good look in a tank you might think is a washed out look and someone else might think is too yellow or blue, etc. It has a lot to do with personal preference. There are a good selection of bulbs on the market though to be able to keep all of us happy!

You could get bluer blue lights for it to be sure. One thing I would caution however is to measure the length of the bulbs before ordering replacements. I haven't done this yet with mine but I do know there are about 3 different length bulbs on the market for a 48" fixture. There obviously isn't an agreed upon industry standard out there yet for the length of T5 bulbs.
You just got to check when ordering Helios brand lamps. They make a "european" standard lamp which is the same as Gisemann, Current, ATI, GE, UVL etc. and an inch standard version that is a little longer and must be used in their fixtures. I am aware of no other brand selling odd length lamps in the 24,36,48 or 80 watt lamps
Old 12/30/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ITGUY
Good morning,

Excellent thread!

Has anyone heard of information regarding Nova offering a reflector upgrade to owners of these lights?
Mine is about a year old and obviously does not utilize the individual/still single reflector. Does Nova claim that this light out performs it's earlier models? Obviously your testing and reporting will be the most believeable and honest information available on the subject matter.
Thanks to everyone out there keeping it real. Manufacturer hype alone can not justify dropping another $450.00 to only gain a small percentage of light output.

Barry

I emailed Current about a month ago with your same questions. They told me then that an upgrade retro fit would probably be available in a couple of months through retailers. I never could get any numbers out them as far as how much of an increase it would provide over the 8x54 watt Nova, but was only told that it would provide a slight increase in PAR. Never got any word on approx. cost.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Just got mine!!

Foster's and Smith has the extreme pro for an awesome price. Way cheaper than anywhere else. Check it out.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Re: Just got mine!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bluepete
Foster's and Smith has the extreme pro for an awesome price. Way cheaper than anywhere else. Check it out.
which model did you get? and what are your tank specs?
Old 12/30/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Just got mine!!

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
which model did you get? and what are your tank specs?
I got the 48" Nova Extreme Pro. Its hidden within "Nova Extreme Saltwater". The price is so low even with shipping that I think it is an oversight on their part.

My is tank is a custom SP Aquatics acrylic 48 x 13 deep x 24 tall and I have a custom 50 gal SP Aquatics acrylic sump.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Nah .... with them crossing off what they were selling it for and putting up that price, I doubt it's a mistake. What was the total price shipped? The price marked is 30 less than I gave @ Marine Depot. F&S had them on backorder when I got mine from MD
Old 12/30/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Nice light. It should do well on that tank. I has a SunPod and I liked it on my 29 gallon. They could have done better on the reflector though. Can you upgrade the reflectors in that T5 fixture?
Old 12/30/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Nah .... with them crossing off what they were selling it for and putting up that price, I doubt it's a mistake. What was the total price shipped? The price marked is 30 less than I gave @ Marine Depot. F&S had them on backorder when I got mine from MD
Shipping was only $17. Plus, I got 6% back from ebates. Plus, I found a $10 off coupon online. I've been waiting for three weeks now but its worth saving $100.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluepete
Shipping was only $17. Plus, I got 6% back from ebates. Plus, I found a $10 off coupon online. I've been waiting for three weeks now but its worth saving $100.
LOL... Me on the other hand {patience isn't exactly one of my strong suits}, I paid an extra 27 bux for 2nd day air shipment! But heck, the way I look at it, that ain't no money.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

I'm glad that I found this thread. and very greatful for you grim, and mo, for the testing and info. I think it's safe to say this light would be a good upgrade from my outer orbit pc's!
Old 01/01/2008, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Grim, or anyone else, what's the difference in cost between the Nova pro 36" and the ATI PM? I could never find an etailer with pricing on the ATI PMs?

Brent
Old 01/01/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

A bunch. Reefgeek.com has the ATI. Comparing lamp count alone the ATI is about double the Nova. But given how good the ATI appears to be you might not need the same # of lamps in the ATI.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Foster & Smith have the 36" Extreme for $296. Reefgeek has the ATI PM for the 4 bulb $509, the six bulb $739. That is with bulbs.