Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Anthias

I have 3 Lyretail Anthias in a 75g tank. I would like to add some more. How many antias could live peacefully together in there? Can I mix types? Some Purple Queens perhaps?

Thanks, Joe
Old 03/05/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Anyone????
Old 03/05/2007, 03:36 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Depending on your current fish load, you could probably add another female. I would not mix species in that size tank.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 03/05/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Peter.
Old 03/05/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

What ever you do stay away from Purple Queens. Their survival rate in captivity is dismal.

carl
Old 03/05/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

For what its worth, I have 20 Anthias in a 300 gallon right now. I have (not sure of the spelling sorry) 4 Squampinis, 4 Carburi, 3 Square Spot, 4 Bartlett, 3 Evanasi, and 2 I am not sure of, so thats 6 Different species in the tank and have had no issues with them so far. The squampinis, Carburi, and Evanasi have been there for months, the others added about a month ago. They all eat well and pretty much anything I put in the tank and rarely chase each other, its more so schooling.

There is a smallll chance I will add purple queens in the future only becuase they may watch the others eat prepared/frozen/flake food and catch on...only time will tell.

Very fun to watch
Old 03/05/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

double post sorry
Old 03/05/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Old 03/05/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

i have a red checked, sqaumpenus (spell?) and now a dispar in a 58 they are fine, i have had the first 2 for a over year now and they eat whatever, i have had more than that for a while i had a carbui i think it was and i jumped?(he was about a year) why dont know it was eating fine.. anywho hope that helps
Old 03/05/2007, 11:33 PM

I'll clarify here. I'm not suggesting that mixing species will cause death or disaster. However, IME, the presence of another anthias species can influence the look and behavior of others. There's a very good chance that with lyretails, any less aggressive species will not act natural or color up to their full potential, while a more aggressive species may cause serious aggression problems. Why have an anthias that only looks half as good as it could?

Old 03/06/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

i dont know if that was aimed towards me, but mine are colored amazingly, as matter of fact my red checked is colored like no other i have seen pics of, they really dont fight or anything just once in a while they may chase each other, but they usally hang out. i dont know what to tell the thread starter other than i do it and its fine for me, i guess take my experince with a grain of salt? ha no pun intended
Old 03/06/2007, 01:04 AM

My comment wasn't aimed at anyone (that's what the quote button is for ). I just thought that my original post gave little info, and didn't want to suggest that mixed anthias will kill each other or anything like that. I am still sticking to my suggestion though, especially if mixing males.

Old 03/06/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

lyretails are deffinitely not a passive species of anthias like bartletts, dispars, ignitus, purple queens are especially a species that need a very passive tank in order to survive somewhat in the tank, in which they wont survive in a tank for an extended time, i believe the record is what? like 2 years

if you wanted to add more species of anthias you should of put in the purple queens first, let them get established, and then put in the lyretails

also in a 75 i would only add another female like stated before, its a schooling fish that creates quite a bioload in the tank and they need room to move, if you dont have any other fish, or dont plan on adding any other fish then i would say you could add 2-3 more lyretails but in a tank that small i dont recommend mixing species
Old 03/06/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replys. Is there a good book or website out there that deals mainly with anthias?

Joe
Old 03/06/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Joe the first volume of Scott Micheals series gets into Anthia's. As for a good indepth book or website there is nothing that I have found.

With Purple Queens I would even go so far as to say a species specific tank is needed. The huge volumes of very small food items will quickly create a mess in my opinion. I thought I remember reading here on RF that the longevity record was like 9 month's. Could be wrong though.

Carl
Old 03/06/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Carl. Is it actually called Scott Micheal or does the series have a title. I'd love to get my hands on it soon to do some reading.

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 03/06/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

It is called the Reef Fishes Series. The one with Anthia's is volume 1.
http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?...cat=509&page=1

I think I saw it cheaper on Amazon. I can't remember if Big Al's in Ottawa had it the last time I was in.

Carl
Old 03/06/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I think I know where I can pic that book up.

Joe
Old 03/07/2007, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

In a 75 I would not mix species (as mentioned above)...and would not even purchase queens at all...not a good track record. IMO once you get above 5-6 individuals you run the chance of having more than one male or at least having some of the fish party switch colors.