Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2006, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Is a electric scallop an invert

And what do they do in the tank? I mean do they clean, filter, move around, what is their daily function? Are the okay for a reef tank?
Old 11/13/2006, 05:22 PM
--sister of geek--

Yes, it is an invert. Vertebrates are things with spines, thus any animal that is spineless (insert joke here) is an invertebrate.

It is a filter feeder, though I think they don't survive for long periods in home aquaria (or at least as long as they could in the wild. They won't hurt anyone in a mixed reef tank. They generally stay in one spot once they find someplace comfortable, though they can move by shooting water.

Billsreef should chime in here--he'll know, as well as others.

Welcome aboard!
Old 11/13/2006, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

mollusc?
Old 11/13/2006, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

So since they do not live long in captivity this is something that should be avoided right?
Old 11/13/2006, 07:10 PM
--sister of geek--

Mollusk, yes. You will get different opinions on flame scallops I am sure, but no, it's not something I'd buy, as attractive as they are. There's just no way to replicate their natural food sources in captivity. I've heard it suggested yous hould target feed DT's Phytoplankton or Cyclopeeze daily for any chance of success--but even then it's not so good. Best to go with another beautiful creature
Old 11/13/2006, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

What is your avatar? Is it in your tank?
Old 11/13/2006, 11:29 PM
--sister of geek--

I wish It is a leafy sea dragon (Phycodurus eques), photo taken by a much better aquarist and photographer than I:

Old 11/14/2006, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Do they live in aquariums? THAT IS AWESOME!
Old 11/14/2006, 09:37 AM
--sister of geek--

I don't know a huge amount about them, but yes, they are indeed incredible looking. They have been kepts in public aquaria for quite some time (I'm pretty sure this particular critter was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I'll ask the photographer) but until recently there hasn't been great success keeping them in home aquaria. They get big (20"), require cooler temperatures and chillers, and are notorious for only eating live foods. Even public aquaria have to put forth a considerable amount of effort creating special tanks and environments for these guys.
Old 11/14/2006, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the information.
Old 11/14/2006, 11:26 AM
--sister of geek--

No problem--glad to help.
Old 11/15/2006, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

New England Aquarium (Boston) has them too. You are very accurate with your summary of them also. Boston had tried them before only to do away with them as they didnt have much success. I just went on a behind the scenes tour of NEA about 3 weeks ago. They did bring back the Sea dragons, and have done extensive research and put alot of effort into making the new suitable tank for them. They are a cooler water species, and I'm pretty sure that tank is the only tank in NEA with a chiller on it. They said they tend to stay away from chillers due to the fact you need a place to vent the hot air they create, and that would be unacceptable to be venting into the small cramped and already hot/humid work spaces they have to work with. Besides they use the natural chiller available to them....the Boston Harbor water! Here is the best pic I could get of the sea dragons at Boston, not the greatest but............
[IMG][/IMG]

This pic does no justice, if you want to see the true beauty and elegance of them in the water you must visit the display at NEA in person.

I suffer from REEFER MADNESS!!
Old 11/15/2006, 09:39 AM
--sister of geek--

Sweet--thanks for the pic! They are truly amazing.
Old 11/16/2006, 04:05 AM
Premium Member

If you want to see them in full glory on display, go to the Aquarium of the pacific- in Long Beach. They breed them there.
Old 11/16/2006, 04:24 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

These guys are fascinating, but unfortunately very rare as well. In the early 1990's In the Australian government declared the leafy sea dragon a totally protected species. They can't be taken or sold. There was a guy somewhere, the only one I've ever read about, and this was a while ago, who did have a breeding pair, but apparently he can only sell them to aquariums (educational purposes) or such and I think the price for each was about $35,000. They are very fragile, are only found in Australia I believe and are from cooler waters.
Old 11/19/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I picked this baby up at a LFS...

J/k this is a photo from the GA aquarium
Old 11/20/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

I'm an Aussie and have swum with leafy sea dragons before.
They are one of the many creatures where pictures dont do it justice. To see them floating and swimming around completely camoflaged is amazing. The male looks after the young and 'gives birth' to them out of a special stomach sac. Which is quite an amazing site.

The Sydney Darling Harbour Aquarium has a few specimens and are generally seen as the world experts on keeping them in captivity.
They are a protected species and only certified zoos, aquariums and zoological institutes are allowed to keep them.

Local fish stores sometimes appear to have collections. But from what i have read and seen they are merely a species of sea horse which has similiar but less impressive body camoflage.
Caynus
Old 02/24/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

SeaDragon Pic

Here's a pic I took of one of them in the New England Aquarium last year. I love this pic.
Old 02/27/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

we got em in chicago at the shedd...freakin awesome.