Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 01/11/2007, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

20K for Seagrass?

Friends--

Well, my shipment of plants (shoal and manatee grasses) has arrived and I am about to plant. Per my earlier email, I am planting a 75 gallon tank that currently has 130 watts of PC light on one half and Normal Output lights on the other half. I decided to upgrade my lighting since folks advised it is marginal for the grasses. I will keep the PC light on one half, but I will replace the NO light side with a 400W Metal Halide. The fixture that I ordered comes "complete" with a 20,000K spectrum light. From what I read 6,500 is more ideal for seagrass. So, should I rush out and buy a 6500K bulb, or will 20,000K be "plenty good" for a few months and just go to 6500K when it is time to change the bulb? For what it is worth, the PC side will continue to have 7500K and blue actinic, both in 65Watts.

Thanks for your opinions! I will let you know how the planting goes.

--Ending with Apologies to All in Advance
Old 01/11/2007, 07:50 PM
Here's lookin at you

400 watts is a ton of light for a 75g. The spectrum is going to be off from what the seagrasses would prefer, but I think 400 watts of any light would probably be sufficient. 10k would probably be my choice to maintain nice visual aesthetics and provide the plants with close to the correct spectrum.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 01/11/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Thanks David. I figured that with 400W I could afford to miss the ideal spectrum fo a while.

--Ending with Apologies to All in Advance