Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/03/2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Sohal Tang

I have been thinking about adding my last fish as a sohal tang but I have heard condesending talk about how aggressive they can be, especially with other tangs. Anyone with any experience with these fish? any input would be appreciated ie. what fish do not go well with them...
Thanks all!
Old 07/03/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

I have a Sohal he is about 8" long bought him at 4", he grew really fast for the first 6months then he has slowed down in the last year. I have him in a tank with a Sailfin and a Pacific Blue tang with no problem in a 240gal 8' long tank. I had him in a 120gal for awhile before I knew better, mine is mellow for a Sohal he isn't aggressive he just lets the Blue tang know whose boss every now and then by chasing him into the rocks but the Blue just comes out someplace else and acts like nothing happened. Its a good thing you will add him last since he killed a Naso I put in after him and the Naso was bigger, word of warning about the Tang Polizei here, you hopefully have a big tank 180gal+ Sohals are active swimmers and they are like the oceans crop-dusters they poop in mass quantities so a big skimmer might come in handy. If you have other Tangs in the tank Sohals hate other Acanthurus species Powder Blue, Achilles, and especially Clown tangs you might get away with Zebrasomas and Ctenocheatus tangs since mine leaves the Sailfin Tang alone. Hope this helps.
Old 07/03/2006, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

180+ hey...... damn my tank is only 100 gallons so I'm assuming this isn't larg enough? I have been told before it would be plenty?
Old 07/03/2006, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, you'll definitely want a bigger tank. These guys are big and active, and really appreciate lots of swimming space. Maybe go with a smaller species instead, by default it would be something less aggressive as well.
Old 07/03/2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by .223NATO
180+ hey...... damn my tank is only 100 gallons so I'm assuming this isn't larg enough? I have been told before it would be plenty?
Not enough who ever told you that i wouldn't take advice from them again.
Old 07/04/2006, 08:25 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

When I worked at the LFS, every Sohal we sold, came back. Usually I would see the same one, 3 or 4 times.

This is a sohal,
Old 07/04/2006, 10:02 AM
Moved On

my sohal was awsome I got him at 2 1/2" (saved from PETCO) I had to sell him after 3 years he out grew my tank 8-9" when I sold him. he didn't bother any fish in my tank but he did eat all my zoa's, I dont think I would put one in a softy tank but did fine with my stinging corals and lps here is some pics
ps he was in a 75g
Old 07/04/2006, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

I can tell you this, it is true that sohol is more aggressive. I did add him last, so my small blue tang is not getting harrasse. I did notice that my blue tang hide a little more, but does got out in the open when ever the emperror is around. The emperor angel is the true boss in the tank and keep the sohol from being the king boss.
Old 07/04/2006, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

By far my favorite fish. Wish they could fit in my 112G
Old 07/04/2006, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

My sohal is a mean sob, beats up my blue tang quite a bit. Doesnt mess with my big angels though
Old 07/05/2006, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

I had one in a 350 gallon tank. He was one tough fish and I eventually had to get rid of him. Gorgeous but pretty mean. I think a long 180 might be ok but not much below that; my 350 was NOT long and that was a problem.

~Steve~