Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2005, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Emergency Chilling Procedures - Back to the Drawing Board

Don't try this at home ..........

Ok so last week the house A/C goes on the fritz and the tank starts getting hot. My chiller wasn't hooked up and I was in a hurry.

I figured I could put a small volume of ice in a bag in the top of the tank. Not so much as to rapidly chill the thing just enough to fight the heat rise. Go to the freezer, no ice. What the heck here's a bag of frozen peas. And whats more its already sealed in plastic. So I plopped it in the tank and went about my business. When done I returned it to the freezer.

Fast forward to last night supper. Wife starts complaining that her peas taste funny. She tries my daughters hers are bad too. I rarely eat normal peas much less funny ones so I didn't even try them. Wife throws them out and eventually figures out they are quite salty but thats not all the flavor she's got with them.

Suddenly it dawns on her that I put peas in the aquarium and the bag must not have been sealed tightly. I start laughing and pointing out to her that she has now officially eaten things from my salt tank.

Old 06/13/2005, 09:44 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

damn! now thats bad! HAHA!
Old 06/13/2005, 10:37 AM
Reef Geek

hahaha thats priceless!!! :P

FYI most of those frozen veggies have vent holes in them

MACNA XVIII - Houston, TX Sept 22nd-24th 2006
Old 06/13/2005, 10:38 AM
Reef Geek

Oh and the best emergency chilling is taking those small water bottles fill them with water and freeze them

MACNA XVIII - Houston, TX Sept 22nd-24th 2006
Old 06/13/2005, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

HAHAHAHA! That made my day.

Lets add that to the "things not to do" list, because the tank would come down if I did that. If you're in a pinch though, you could put the peas in a ziplock bag, though under pressure sometimes those leak too.
Old 06/13/2005, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

thats to damm funny your best bet is to put a fan in front of your sump you will be surprised how much it will cool your tank

chris