Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 01/04/2008, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

Just Got Certified in diving

Hello everyone

i just got certified in scuba diving. I took a small vacation in Phillipines, PG Island and did my first dive there. What an amazing area. I saw A LOT of different types of animals.

Now that i am back home, S.california, where are some of the dive spots that you guys can recommend??

thanks
Old 01/05/2008, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

The Channel Islands offer an array of flora and fauna with visibility ranging from 30-100ft.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

where in so cal? Channel Islands, Catalina, Redondo Beach, actually a butt load of beaches! Old Marine Land, San Diego, damn near anywhere! Where in LA are you?
If you want to hang out and talk/listen (ok type/read) with several local hard core divers check out http://www.divematrix.com/ It is not a huge board, but there is not as much crap going on there. If you just want mass amounts of info check out scubaboard. But like here on RC you get the BS Bare Bottom VS DSB, only there its jacket bcs and snorkle VS DIR

So Cal can be some challenging dives, There are some hard core guys that go diving almost every week (actually I know some people that go a couple times a week) I try to go every week or two on Friday mornings with a few buddies. Most of these people are in dry suits, double large steel tanks and ridiculously expensive flashlights (in SCUBA they're called HID, in reef keeping they're called MH with a big battery pack that is strapped to your belt and the light is mounted on the back of your hand) If you are not worried about being seen with a bunch of geeks/ techies I'd be happy to show you around. Do you have any gear? I would guess that where you certified you could even rent the mask and fins. Not so here, you need your own personal gear(mask, fins, booties, gloves), you can rent the wetsuit, bc, tank, reg, and hood. Yes you want/need the gloves and hood! I may even have some gear you can try out like a large steel tank, back plate and wing, regs(with the long hose) depending on your foot size I even have a few different fins you might be able to try and compare.

Last edited by David P; 01/06/2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

congrats.