Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 10/10/2004, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Oh, I forgot to mention. The tank with the clowns also is connected to a tank by a bridge that has 2 6-line wrasses, a bi-color goby, lawnmower blenny, and a fire fish. All these fish look normal and are acting normal.

Rian
Old 10/21/2004, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

This treatment comes form The Handbook of Fish Disease by Dieter Untergasser THF publications. Page # 125 method C7.
Short bath with 2.6 ml formalin to 10 liters of seawater in a seperat tank for 30 minuts. Rember formalin is highly toxic and carcinogenic. I have found using remidys that alow the fish to remain in salt water prevents the fish the stress (mainly on the kidneys) of osmotic shock, rember what you Dr. told you when you were sick, drink plenty of fluids. Dehydration this rapid can greatly stress fish.
Genesis 2:28
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 10/21/2004, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for your response, unfortuantly it was too late. The night I posted we did a formalin dip and the male responded a little bit but then a couple days later he looked worse then he did before the dip. We knew he was probably not going to make it but we had to do everything we could to try to save him so we did another formalin dip about 4 days after the 1st dip. The next morning he was dead. Our female has started to show a little bit of the signs, not as much as the male when we started treating him, so hopefully we will be able to cure her and she will survive. We did a formalin dip on her two days ago and she has been swimming great in her little tank and seems to go after food, though we're not sure if she is eating or not. We are also doing daily water changes to her tank since there is no filtration in the tank, just a heater and a bubbler as well as some pvc pipe for hiding and swimming around.

We are also putting about a drop of formalin in the tank with her every three days to try to kill any of the parasite that is in the water column and are doing this every few days because of the water changes we are doing.

Rian
Old 11/02/2004, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

What is Brook? Is there an article or tell-tale signs? Thanks

ReefRian - sorry to hear about your fish - I hope the female will make it.
Old 11/02/2004, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Brooklynilla is a predominant fish disease though other fish can be affected by it. Normally the fish starts breathing very heavily and stops eating, it also will start to get a slime coat that is milky in color and in advance cases the clown or affected fish may swim close to the top in an effort to get more oxygen. The disease parasite attacks the gills and starts to suffocate the fish from what I understand.

Our female is doing great right now. Instead of treating her with formalin (since it didn't help the male) I decided to treat her with copper and low salinity. We removed her from the tank and set her up in a large critter tank with some pvc, a heater and air tube. When I first started her in it, she shed her slime coat which was really milky and she looked horrible. But over time it all came off and she slowly started to swim some more and finally started eating again. Now she eats 3 times a day (small amounts) and comes to the surface to feed. She has also adopted the bottom corner of the tank to be her host and seems to lay down and not move much until you come near the tank, then she is swimming around hoping you will feed her. She has been in the separate tank for about 3 weeks and is doing great. No signs of any problem. As for the rest of the tanks, no other fish has shown signs of any disease and are eating healthly. I guess the clowns became succeptible becasue they both had small wounds on their sides from hosting in the frogspawn. They dart into it so fast they must bump into the branches and scratch themselves. We'll probably wait a little longer before adding her back into the tank and are thinking about getting a mate for her. She really misses having someone to swim with.

Rian
Old 11/03/2004, 09:37 PM
SPS Slave

I just came across this article on using formalin - it's well written and has some good tips.
Old 11/12/2004, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Well here I go again. I had a zebra angel die a several months ago from an undiagnosed parasitic infection. None of the other fish showed or have shown signs of infection. I think I waited too long to begin treatment and it appeared to suffocate to death from an infestation in its gills. I tried a formalin dip to no avail so I think it was probably ich or amlyoodinium occelatum. I was unable to treat the entire tank it was in, because my cowfish could not tolerate copper and I had no quarantine or hospital tank at the time. Having had several months pass with no signs of a problem in the main tank I felt confident enough to replace the angel. I bought another Zebra angel about a month ago, a female this time, and put it into my newly acquired isolation tank. About a week and a half ago it started to show signs of a parasitic infection (spots and heavy respiration). I started hypo, which seemed to have no effect and the condition worsened. After researching the symptoms, I have come to the conclusion that it is either Brook or amlyoodinium. Both require different treatments, neither of which will kill both parasites. This time I’m covering all bases by doing a Formalin bath and running copper in the tank. This angel is much stronger than the other, most likely because of the advanced stage of the disease in the first one. I'll report back with my progress as it unfolds
Old 11/20/2004, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Well I was unsucessful at a cure. Either the treatment or the disease took him. I think I'm going to stay away from Zebra angels and possibly the LFS he came from. This has been 2 bad experiences in a row.
Old 11/25/2004, 05:46 PM
Moved On

brooke is over running all my tanks and i have no clue why since they are all seperate i lost everything in my reef so far and now im starting to lose everything in my FOWLR what should i do and how long do i have to wait until i add new fish into the system

reef tank
65 AGA
filter consists of carbon and filter pad
no skimmer
all parameters are perfect

FOWLR
29 AGA
filter 2 AQ 300 1- cheato and 1- carbon and filter pad
no skimmer
all parameters are perfect

please help i can't take watching my fish die

p.s. i tried a fomalin 3 dip but it doesn't seem to help
Old 12/06/2004, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

My Clown is showing symptoms similar to that of Reefrian's... heavy breathing, not eating, not really swimming around, but staying in the center of the tank in the same spot. I thought I saw some pin-tip-sized white spots, but can't tell for sure. My question is how do you cure the water in the DT of Brook once the fish is cured in a QT? Won't the fish just catch it again once it is released back into the DT where ther parasite lives?
Old 12/06/2004, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I believe the parasite will die if there are no fish for it to host in in the DT. I'm not sure it brook is what my fish had, and I'll probably never know for sure. After treating the female with hyposalinity and copper for about a month and a half, she was all better so we added her back into the tank (we did not have any other clowns in the tank, only a bi-color blenny, lawnmower blenny, 2 six line wrasses and a firefish). It has been a couple months and she has shown no sign of the parasite again. Either it is all gone or she is very healthy now and is fighting it on her own.

Rian
Old 12/06/2004, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

That's good to know. Unfortunately I don't have a QT yet, but I'm in the process of purchasing the new 24g Nano Cube as an upgrade to my 12g Cube. I will keep the 12g as my QT tank, but I don't think my clown will make it that long. He hasn't eaten for about three days now. I was thinking of giving him the Formalin bath, but I don't think that will help if he just gets put back into the DT after his bath since the water will still be infected with the parasite.
Old 12/06/2004, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

We didn't have a qt either so we just used a large critter cage with a air stone and heater. We just did water changes every two days. Kept the salinity at 1.018 since clowns can live in low salinity up to 1.010. If you keep them in low salinity then the parasites can't survive but the clownfish will be fine. I kept mine at 1.018 for the duration of her stay in the tank (about 1.5 months) and she was fine. You can always use a 5 gal bucket or a large bowl will work also.

Rian
Old 06/18/2006, 08:03 AM
10 & Over Club

Here's a few pictures to help people with diagnosis. Courtesy of Steven Pro.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)