Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

How to clean/sterilize wet/dry cannister filter

I have Ehiem wet/dry filter that hasn't been used in months. It got left in the closet full of stagnant water for a month or two and I wanted to clean the crap out of it(pun intended).

Should I do a bleach solution? Vinager? At this point I think it needs to be sterilized with the tank it's going on. If I used a bleach solution I could then use dechlorinator after rinsing.

How would you clean your wet/dry cannister so that you knew it was trustworthy once again?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11/11/2007, 04:38 PM
Team RC Member

Either one would work. Yuck! I rather think vinegar would be sufficient, but you know what the device smells like---if you think bleach, then use a dechlorinator until it smells fresh again. My only reservation is the seals: vinegar is kinder to rubber/plastics, in my experience.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/11/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I would use only water and vinegear mix. I wouldnt use bleach.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:23 PM
TRC Leader

You can use bleach safely, just be sure to rinse well and allow to completely dry. Rinse once more and your done. Bleach to kill algae and bacteria, and vinegar to soften and remove any calcium, coraline algae.

Don't use either at full strength. Dilute 1 cup with a gallon of water with either.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 11/11/2007, 09:16 PM
Team RC Member

Distilled white vinegar full strength followed by a diluted bleach soultion and air drying will work well. Vinegar is $1.50 per gallon and safe to work with so don't bother diluting it.
Old 11/11/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

ok I've got it running on the tank with just water atm. If I do full strength vinegar I'll just fill it up and let it sit. How long do you think I should let it sit. Overnight?
Old 11/11/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Either would work with vinager a better choice. With either just clean real well then let dry , then rinse real well then dry and even let run awile before useing in any main tank . Also replace any and all media but im sure thats a given.
This can be a good add on unless its not properly cleaned so you dont get high nitrate readings. Its isnt even needed if you have good flow and enough LR and substrate. GL
Old 11/11/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry but I would never have this on my main display. This is for using on a quarrantine/hospital tank only.

I would like to keep the media that is in it. It doesn't smell bad now that it's been dry for a few months but I just wanted to clean/sterilize it before trying to use again. The ceramic media should be able to bake in the oven to make sure it's dry after using bleach.

Vinegar doesn't sterilize bacteria in my understanding.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:44 PM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
Distilled white vinegar full strength followed by a diluted bleach soultion and air drying will work well. Vinegar is $1.50 per gallon and safe to work with so don't bother diluting it.
+1
no need for dechlorinator as long as it is dried out ..
Old 11/12/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Ok well I have it running in a five gallon bucket with almost pure distilled vinegar. Had to add about 1.5 gallons of water to get it up to top. So five gallons vinegar, 1.5 water.

I'll run it all night like that and then rinse and start the bleach at 1 cup per gallon.

How long do you suggest I run it with the bleach. I need to kill any bacteria but not ruin any gaskets or other hardware.

After this I'll follow with a thorough rinsing and ceramic media bake in the oven while the filter itself dries. I may add de-chlorinator and run it for awhile on the QT just to be safe. I'm scared like that.

How long should I run it with bleach? Should this clean the ceramic media well enough to use or should I ditch the media like Demonsp said? I'd like to keep it if possible.

Last edited by Snausy; 11/12/2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11/12/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Just wash it out no need to let stand. Clean out real good with your mix then let dry then rerinse again with plain water let dry and your good to go.
Use of any media from this unit not a good idea and infact kinda scary.
Old 11/12/2007, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

There goes about 60 bucks in ceramic media...*sigh*
Old 11/12/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Well i would double check that ceramic media. It maybe fine. Run a thread on that alone. I was more concered more about any carbon or foam filters. The ceramic part really didnt click but this is a hardy material and would think if cleaned right maybe fine.Just cant say the right way to clean.
Old 11/12/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

All there is inside an eheim wet/dry cannister is three levels of ceramic media. No mechanical or chemical filtration whatsoever. It is for biological filtration only. I suppose it takes the place of live rock in my QT/HT.

I would've thrown away any mechanical/chemical media long ago. I agree with you there for sure.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Nothing can replace LR. In the right amount it converts nitrate in to a food source for critter and into harmless nitrogen. If you dont have enough LR atleast 1 lb per gallon i would get more for better results.