Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

new sebae anemone

I just purchased a sebae anemone from my LFS. It is not you normal white with purple spots on tips, or the green one with spots on tips. This one is kind of hard to describe. It is all white, but in clumps, looks like sections of white lace with white spots on it. I put it in my tank on Thursday evening. I have 2 clowns, who haven't messed with it yet. I set it on the crushed coral/sand when I got it home. Friday morning it had started moving somewhat. I guess it didn't like that spot. I tried to feed it, but it wasn't interested. Today, I decided to try to put it on another rock, instead of lying in the subtrate. It was pretty stuck, but I got loose and put on top of rock. It seems to have wrapped a little bit around the rock. I tried to feed some frozen squid this evening, but it wasn't much interested. I broke it into a small piece, and I think it got some of it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a rbta in my other tank and it is doing fine, and eats the squid, and shrimp right away. I think in a day or so I will try the shrimp.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

let him find his own spot--if he was pretty well attached to where he was, that meant he liked it! (or at least didnt want to move!)

dont sweat it if he doesnt eat right off...it will take some time for him to acclimate. what kind of lights are you running?

what are you water parameters?

how long has the tank been set up, and what else is in there?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

new sebae

Right now, I have 2 10k daylights, 2 65W actinics, and 2 6700K. I am in the process of changing to T5 lighting. Waiting for it to come in the mail. Water paramters are: KH 10, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Calcium 375, phosphate .1. I have had this tank established since February of 2007. My fish are: 2 oscelaris clowns, red hawk fish, starry blenny, red scooter blenny six line wrasse, green chromis, yellow tang, sunburst anthias, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, brittle star, red linkia star, and a baby BTA.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Saebae acclimate really slowly to tank conditions, they're just a little more sensitive. The fact that it found a spot on the rock was a good thing, next time, just leave it be. Your lighting seems good, and the fact that ur upgrading to t-5 is even better. I wouldn't sweat it.

The key with these guys is leaving them alone, moving them to substrate cause resources say they like it isn't necessairly the case. Wait about 2 weeks before you feed it, it will be fine with out food for a while, the key is getting and keeping it comfortable, if it does eat early on, chances are, it may just end up regurgitating it later on, as it moves to find a permanant spot...

Good luck, tell us how it goes. Keep up on ur WC's thats quite a Fish List!
40lbs LR
Hydor Koriala 2
Maxi Jet 900 Pump Replacement

Click the Red House to see my tank
Old 01/07/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I hope you have a very good skimmer and do regular water changes (and use activated carbon) to stay in front of that bioload.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I have Remora C protein skimmer, do water changes once a week, and have activated carbon. Thanks.