Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 12:54 AM

Dosing Pumps???

Looking for a good Peri Pump and one know of any?
Old 01/03/2008, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

twopartsolution.com has some nice inexpensive ones, drews pumps or something like that. They pump a flat rate per minute and can be set on timers or a controller.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:08 AM

Thanks But I am wanting to try on on a Calcium Reactor so I would like to be able to set a drip rate? Maybe on that is programable
Old 01/03/2008, 01:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janderson8
Thanks But I am wanting to try on on a Calcium Reactor so I would like to be able to set a drip rate? Maybe on that is programable
LiterMeter III's are excellent, though a bit pricey. There are also these..

http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/products/sentry.html
Old 01/03/2008, 02:03 AM

ya I like the litermeter but they are high. There has to be cheaper way. Like used hospital equipment.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:14 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

[moved]

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 01/03/2008, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

I would go with the Litermeter III also
Old 01/03/2008, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

ebay has a bunch of 'dosing pump' listings that are reasonably priced.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

I use the Nautilus II from Innovative Aquatics to dose my DIY 2-part.

I've used it for about 2 years now with no problems at all. I'm very happy with it.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Vario Dose LP180
Old 01/03/2008, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Aqua-lift pump with the little valve adjusters for flex tubing that you find at Lowe's. Add a timer with short segments. $30 total.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

i use the Nautilus from Innovative Aquatics as well. Running for over a year with no problems, great support and they stand behind their products.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

The litermeter does not allow for a constant drip rate. The pump pumps at a constant rate; the motor is not variable speed. Instead, it turns on a number of times during the day. You adjust the total amount pumped throughout the day by adjusting the amount of time the pump turns on each day. This is an important thing to understand about its opperation before you invest your money into it. It is great for many applications (such as two-part dosing and "continuous" water changing). But when you need fluid delivered at a constant, continuous rate, it will not provide that. Also, it is rather expensive for something like this when you could use an aqualifter to do the same. If you are going to go with a litermeter, you might as well buy an additional remote pump module for it, sell your calcium reactor setup, and go with a two-part dosing system. This would be a much better use of the litermeter.

Also, I don't know how good a medical dosing pump would be for this kind of thing. They are very good at delivering fluid at very slow flow rate (typically as low as 1mL/hour). But, they cannot really pump against any pressure. They rely on controlled gravity feeding essentially. So, if there is any back pressure through the reactor, it is likely that they pump will stop (they shut off and alarm when not pumping at the set flow rate).

There are peristaltic pumps that you can buy that have variable speeds and would work well for this. They tend to be rather bulky and are rather expensive if you buy them new from a supplier. You can find some great deals for used ones on eBay, but it may take awhile to find what you're looking for and you will need to research what you are buying to know if it will work for you.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
Also, I don't know how good a medical dosing pump would be for this kind of thing. They are very good at delivering fluid at very slow flow rate (typically as low as 1mL/hour). But, they cannot really pump against any pressure. They rely on controlled gravity feeding essentially. So, if there is any back pressure through the reactor, it is likely that they pump will stop (they shut off and alarm when not pumping at the set flow rate).
Since I have the pump from Innovative Aquatics, I will respond only to keep the info straight for the person who started the thread:

The one I have does pump against pressure. I had mine in the garage for awhile pumping kalk 56 feet to my tank.

These pumps have been modified to disable that slow rate alarm circuitry.

Those are good points though, because I know not all medical pumps will perform this way.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveJ
twopartsolution.com has some nice inexpensive ones, drews pumps or something like that. They pump a flat rate per minute and can be set on timers or a controller.
You have to be careful with these pumps. The low voltage version is short lived and only good for so many hours and the ac version will last a little longer but not much. Not really good for this application.
You have to find a pump with a 100% duty cycle most are not until you spend quite abit more money.
That said, if you can find one the right timer will make it work just as well as the overpriced liter meter. For that matter if a aqualifter will for your carx the right timer will make it just as accurate as the litermeter.

Don
Old 01/03/2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Vario Dose LP180 - has variable flow rate, can be operated continuously at a maximum of 9 ml/min or 5.4 l/hr @ 1 bar, 110 VAC/60 Hz and made in Germany.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef / aholic
Vario Dose LP180 - has variable flow rate, can be operated continuously at a maximum of 9 ml/min or 5.4 l/hr @ 1 bar, 110 VAC/60 Hz and made in Germany.
If your talking about the IKS Vario lp180 its only 50% duty cycle. I have 5 of them.

Don
Old 01/03/2008, 09:45 PM

THanks every one for the inputs. Keep them comming
Old 01/03/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef / aholic
Reefaholic, where'd you buy yours from? I'm currently using an aqualifter - OK so far, but doesn't look as if it will last long term.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:10 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
My suggestion is for a Tom Aquatic Aqualifter. I just put mine on today. Before it was running consistently, but I wasn't happy with the setup. It used to be a MaxiJet 900 with a 1/2" or w/e it is outlet, then stepped down to airline tubing diameter. It worked, but it clogged before, before I had a pH controller, so I melted like half of my calcium reactor media since I'm away for long periods of time at once (usually gone for 3-4 weeks or more without seeing the tank). The Aqualifter has an intake filter, as well as that it can pump no problem, even if air gets into the system.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al
Reefaholic, where'd you buy yours from? I'm currently using an aqualifter - OK so far, but doesn't look as if it will last long term.
Check with deltec usa or even ebay. They are pricey and are 50% duty cycle. They have a built in 10/10 timer to prevent motor overheating.

Don
Old 01/04/2008, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick s
Since I have the pump from Innovative Aquatics, I will respond only to keep the info straight for the person who started the thread:

The one I have does pump against pressure. I had mine in the garage for awhile pumping kalk 56 feet to my tank.

These pumps have been modified to disable that slow rate alarm circuitry.

Those are good points though, because I know not all medical pumps will perform this way.
Yeah, I just looked at those pumps. They are modified so, apparently, they will pump against pressure. Regular medical dosing/feeding pumps are not really capable of this.