Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

no skimmer grunge?

well i've been up and running over 6 weeks now, and I have no skimmer grunge? lots of bubbles, I see foam at the top of the column, now I'm starting to see foam in the sump- post skimmer. Is something not working right, and what should I do? water in the skimmer is right about the plastic seam about an 1 1/2 below the part you take off...
Old 10/27/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

sound like you need to adjust the skimmate control and raise the height of the bubble column a bit. a picture of that area would help. there is a gate value? or a slide tube you can move up and down or a red knob you can turn. which skimmer?

it will raise the water level of the bubbles. The close the more water the skimmate will some out, the lower the water level of the bubbles will skimmer a dry skimmate will come out or none at all if it is all the way closed
Old 10/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

where to set more or less skimmate with few fish you may not get as much some time i hear people get none or very little. as you add more fish you may have to adjust this again. i have mine set for about 1 cup every two or three days, dark brown/ blackish coffe looking and smelly. i have more fish and probly a smaller collection cup.

ya learn to adjust the your skimmer, not hard just a little practice and monitoring it.
Old 10/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Thanks! The skimmer comes with the pro aquatics filter, and i've been told its a euro-reef knockoff. Hubby showed me how to adjus
Old 10/28/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

DAMM CAT.. cont. adjust the level, the output pipe extends, and that controls how high the water rises, guess thats the "slide tube". New corals: all the ones I had to glue directly have not survived, just rocks with humps of superglue left. the ones I glued the rock they were on survived: note to self-ask sam to put anemone on a piece of rock for me.....
Old 10/28/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

note to consuelo, the anemone will go where it wants to go. you don't glue or fix them in any way.

What kind of corals did you super glue? there are many that you can't glue. Are you sure they are dead or did they just float away with the flow?

All of the corals can let go and move either by the means of a foot or just by going with the flow. So take a good look around in and under all of your rocks for the missing ones.
Old 10/28/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

I have visions of the day of the triffids....am I the only one old enough to remember that movie? It was my first scary movie!! OK, so the anemone will be mobile? The others are green ricoridia about 3/4" across. Its on the bottom, where I would have to tear the rock down to get to it. three tiny pulsing xenia's, and a couple of stray shrooms.......the rest of the rics and palys were already on little tiny rocks that I glued to a bigger rock to hold them in place. I really only put the little rocks a couple of inches away from each other. Hopefully if they spread it will just be one big colorful colony...
Old 10/28/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

ya like stray said glue will not work on shrooms directly unless they are on some type of frag rock or rubble. then you can glue the rock to rock. you can take some Wedding Vail cloth and cover the shroom and rubber band the Wedding Vail to the rock to lightly hold the shroom in place till it attaches, Wedding Vail, some of the bagging stuff for orange

http://www.weddingconnectionfl.com/images/vail.jpg
Old 10/28/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Yes i can personally say anenomes are mobile. I have a white sebae anenome that my black saddle back clown loves. I tried to put it where i thought it would look nice, but by the next day it was moved completely to the other side of the rock by itself. I agree with strayvoltage dont try to attach anenomes in any way. As far as skimming goes im not too familiar with that yet, but i would agree with killingseed he knows alot more than i would. Good luck!

underWoasisjake