Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

hitchhiker

on of the rocks is a small, maybe 3/4" when extended feather duster lookin thing, just a single skirt of "feathers", narrow, and the sucker is fast!! I was worried it might be aptasia, so I tried to scrape it off, and now when I come around, bam, its sucks up under one of the ricordia. "feathers" are single, and look slightly striped across? Is this a bad hitcher?
Old 10/12/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

picture would be helpful. if it is a feather duster then you are fine. they are filter feeders and good to have.
Old 10/12/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

do not scrap aptasia....one way they reproduce is by fragmentation...if any pieces are left you might make several sptasia from just one.
Old 10/13/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Thats the truth.
Old 10/31/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

The tentacles or the "feather duster lookin thing"..it appears like a feather or is it comprised of smooth stalks? When it recedes, does it recede into a tube? I've only been doing this since January, but I am starting to figure all of this out.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Some recede into a tube, the other one looks different, and is actually under a shroom, so I can't see what it goes into, but the little boogers are fast!!
Old 10/31/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

If it is a calcareous tube, I wouldn't worry...just a "feather duster". If you don't mind me asking, what else is in the tank? I got a couple of peppermint shrimp in one of my tanks becausesome rock we bought recently came with aiptasia. I Joes Juiced what I did see, but I don't like where I cannot see. I haven't seen anything in the main tank to cause any alarm since.
Old 10/31/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Old 10/31/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

I went diving yesterday to retrieve some wayward ricordia, and found a something- looked like a tiny (1 1/2") cucumber, attached to underside of rock, rough surface, definitely alive........I'm still in phase 1- tank is 2 months old, live rock, live sand, garf grunge, scooter blenny, convict blenny and one yellow tailed damsel fish, rest is corals, shroom, rics- just kind of waiting to see what grows!!
Old 10/31/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

I’d be careful with peppermint shrimp, they are another one of those critter that can eat things like zoa’s once they have done their job and ate all the aiptasia. Just another critter that will not go in my tank zoa’s only tank. this is another one of those big dissusions in the zoa's section of RC, some people say that dont have a problem but many more have had problems with them. most of the top zoa growers would agree that is not a welcome critter.
Old 10/31/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

AS U CAN SEE FROM MY TANK I HAVE A LOT OF ZOAS, and i also have a peppy shrimp. I have no problems with him and he just chills in the back. Like John said some people have problems with them and some dont ( ME )
laters.
Old 10/31/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

when you type in caps, "it means you are YELLING" i don’t think you met it as that.
Old 10/31/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I was not yelling at you. When i am at work the caps always stays on for medical reasons. sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.
dennis
Old 10/31/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

na SOULEMAN you fine wasnt sure what was up with the caps. sorry to hear you caps lock has a medical condition. hehehehe