Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 11/12/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Nice cheap frag shelter

I was looking for small HOT type "things" to mod into overflows for one of my current projects when I found some betta holders. After realizing they where to thin to drill the drains on.....I thought they may be perfect for holding fresh cut frags to mount on coral rubble or whatever you may use. They were $1.99 @ a LFS and have a pretty cool desing for the price, named the "BettaVision". Just thought idl share it here for those looking for something to house frags.

Old 11/12/2006, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Wink Of course I have to test it now....

Old 11/12/2006, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I would consider drilling more holes to impprove water flow thru the container. Good idea for DIY.
jandlms
Old 11/12/2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

The flow doesnt seem like much but cleared the frag slime, Im thinking along the same lines though.....but I will let them chill for a bit (the frags) and see how they fair. Ive been searching for a good source of something like these in bulk for a while. Hopefully the top through bottom cuts it as it would be great to leave it stock, it would be a pain to drill a-few hundred.
Old 11/23/2006, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

That is neat actually before reading this thread I was thinking them mesh breeding nets that hang on the side of a tank would work good for this same reason.
Old 11/30/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Location: Holiday Inn Express or my AVIS Rental Car (Algonquin on the weekends)
Just go to walmart and get some clear shower shampoo bins. They have holes in them and are attached with suction cups. Mine is 4 by 10 inch oval.

This is close to what I have. Mines a little bigger. And only 3 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Inter-Design-B...UTF8&s=bedbath
Old 12/01/2006, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

Ive already tried the shampoos....no go for my goal, mass resale. I dremeled slots along the sides and back. Came out with nice mountings withing the week, went into the dremel shop. After 5 hours of rotary glee, a few dozen phone calls, and a bit of time.....all units are sold. Any who, the work great for functional displays. There is NOThING with a slimmer profile thet is functional and not from scratch. I do favor breeder nets but for the price and legal purposes these seem to riegn right now. ......
Old 12/01/2006, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

Just went to the site and it s the same caddy....too bulky for most applications.....but they also have the version of the net ive reffered to freind over @ exoterrawith no credit scough scough .......the similarities between bath acessories and trendy critter acc are amazingly similar since 04"....... I wonder who made the conversion from glitter to critter