Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2006, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

New Wrasse

Hi guys,

I got one of these today. Do you know what kind of wrasse it is? Juvenile Cirrhilabrus balteatus, maybe?

Thanks

Last edited by palmer59; 02/21/2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02/21/2006, 10:19 PM
Who wants to trade frags?

Bronco7777, where did you get your black hat slender wrasse?? I am currently looking to get one of those for my reef tank!!
Thanks,
Seth
Old 02/21/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

palmer59,

Yes that is a cirhilabrus balteatus aka "girdled fairy wrasse. I just posted some additional info on that very fish just a couple of posts back. See page 6 of this thread.

sethd12,

I got my black hat from Marineaquatics.net. They are getting easier to find. Check around, I'm sure you'll uncover some.
Old 02/22/2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Here's a reminder for all you wrasse lovers..

Last night I discovered my beautiful Scotts wrasse had decided to go carpet surfing. I'm sure he wasn't on the floor more than an hour... The back of my canopy is "wrasse proofed" with gutter guard netting. However recently my canopy wasn't closing all the way, leaving a ~1" gap. Sure enough, the wrasse managed to jump through this gap. I will miss this wrasse. He truly had some character.

I now only have 2 wrasses in this community tank. A Cirrhilabrus solarensis, and a Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis.
Old 02/22/2006, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

can you guys help me with a ID?

Old 02/22/2006, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Seem like a Juv cirhilabrus balteatus... Maybe you can double comfirm by looking at the pelvic fins see if it is long...

My 2cts...
Still learning...
Old 02/22/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bronco7777
palmer59,

Yes that is a cirhilabrus balteatus aka "girdled fairy wrasse. I just posted some additional info on that very fish just a couple of posts back. See page 6 of this thread.

sethd12,

I got my black hat from Marineaquatics.net. They are getting easier to find. Check around, I'm sure you'll uncover some.
Hi Bronco,

Thanks for the answer. I got a kick out of this situation. I ordered a Rosy Fin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus) from Live Aquaria and they sent this one. I sent them a message last night letting them know that they sent the wrong fish and attached two pictures. I get a message today saying.
“Dear Mike,
Thank you for your email. It is possible that due to the stress of shipping the specimen may have lost coloration and will need to acclimate further in order to regain the coloration as you see on our site. Your shipment does have a 14 day warranty and we ask that you let us know if the coloration does not return within this time. At this time we have documented your customer file to reflect the condition of the specimen and ask that you continue to test the water parameters in order to ensure ideal water quality for the health of the fish."

I think we can wait until you know what freezes over and this fish is not going to be/become a “Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus�. I guess I’ll wait until next week before contacting them again in the hope that this fish will change by then, if it does I guess I could write a paper on it.

Mike
Old 02/22/2006, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

lol thats hilarious. That is defintily not a rosy fin fairy wrasse, you must have gotten an e-mail from someone who doesn't know much about fairy wrasses

However not a bad deal that the rosy is $159.99 if you got the male and the balteatus is $269.99 Might as well sell the baleatus to someone and then buy another rosy and make $110 lol.
Old 02/22/2006, 08:06 PM

Bronco7777, can you post a species bio on your Black Hat Pencil Wrasse?
Old 02/22/2006, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

shane1111,

That fish looks like a juvenile cyanopleura. The black spot on the tail is a dead giveaway that it is a juvenile. the color pattern leans towards a cyanopleura.

palmer59,

It doesn't surprise me that you got that answer from Liveaquaria. Sometimes companies can be too be for their own good. The response you got obviously came from a customer service puppet who was probably quoting from a general "customer complaint response" manual. Obviously the fish you got is not a Rosy fin and it never will be. If I remember correctly, there was another person here recently that got a fish from Liveaquaria that didn't match the picture on the web site. It was the right fish order but the colors were just faded....I believe it was a Scott's. In any case that person said that Liveaquaria sent him a second fish as a way to correct he situation. If that is true and they do the same with you then you might have a huge steal on your hands. A pricey and rare balteatus for a very good price and a free rosy fin. Lets hope it works out this way for you. I think Liveaquaria is smart enough to realize that asking the customer to ship back an incorrect fish is worse than just sending a new fish. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

sethd12,

Black hat slender wrasse
Pseudojuloides severnsi
Fish come from: West Pacific, southern Japan to Indonesia also Sri Lanka
Usually found in 50 m of depth
They can grow to 11cm
Females: Completely different in coloration - a solid pink-orange body color
These wrasses are reef safe with the exception that they may go after some very small ornamental shrimp. However my guy has never touched my full grown cleaner and fire shrimp. These wrasses will fade without females. My specimen has lost most of its brilliant color it had at the time of purchase. They are sand sleepers so make sure you have a thick sand bed for them to dig into at night.
Old 02/22/2006, 09:25 PM

Would you recommed me getting one since they loose alot of their color?? How much did he cost you if you don't mind me asking. Are they easy to take care of?
Old 02/22/2006, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

what are these white patches? they are on a few spots on him. they look like scales

the red arow is pointing to it
Old 02/22/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

seth,

I think they are great fish. I find them very easy to take care of, just like a fairy wrasse. I would try and get them females if at all possible. The females are actually colorful and they make the males look even brighter. I can't remember what I paid for mine. Its been a long time. I just know they really aren't very expensive

shane

I can't say for sure what that is but I'd certainly QT the fish regardless.
Old 02/22/2006, 11:01 PM

Thank you very much bronco7777, you have been lots of help. I will post on here once I get hopefully a pair!!
Old 02/22/2006, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

i think they are flat worms.
Old 02/22/2006, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

good morning guys,

i just woke up to find my one carpenters lying on the aragonite breathing fast and not moving at all. it looks as if his back is broken. He didnt even come up for brineshrimp. the other 3 seems to be doing fine.

would a large pajama cardinal attack other fish?
Old 02/22/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

here's a photo...

Old 02/22/2006, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

i gave the wrass a fresh water bath all the flat worms i could see died.
i dont see any more on him
Old 02/23/2006, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

My Pajama has never even harmed the shrimp in the tank.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 02/24/2006, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

Do any one have a photo of a female exquiste wrasse and male exquiste wrasse...
Would like to see the different, cant really visualise with the description...
Thanks...
Old 02/24/2006, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

Oops... Double post...

Last edited by Terryz_; 02/24/2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02/24/2006, 03:53 AM
Who dat?

Quote:
Originally posted by bronco7777

I know that the C.Balteatus comes from the Marshall Islands and that it is rare to find in the trade. Not sure why because it doesn't come from very deep water like a rhomboid. When they are found in the trade they are pricey.
This fish has very long pelvic fins.....similar to a pyle's in that regard. Experts believe this fish is tied to the temminckii complex and could also be a relative of the Katherine Fairy wrasse.

According to my buddy the C. Balteatus is just not as common as the Rhomboids.

While the Rhomboids is captured at deeper depths they find more of 'em.

Now it may be they just have not found the right places to collect the Girdled.

It's like with the Flame angels in the Marshalls ,they catch a bunch and the divers are use to collecting them but the Coral Beauty was few and far between but now that the divers have started to key in on those as well they are coming in left and right.
The divers get use to catching a certain fish and they may catch the odd ones as a by catch until they are directed to look out more for them.
Old 02/25/2006, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

bronco,

you might have overlooked my post, but do you have a list of fairy wrasses that come from Australia (barrier reef and mainly the east coast)

Thanks
Old 02/25/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

zemuron,

I don't have any set list. I'll list what I can remember off top of mind

Rosy-fin - holmes reef & coral sea (just east of GBR)
Condei - Papua New Guinea (just northeast of GBR)
Labout's - New Caledonia
Lineatus - New Caledonia
morrisoni - Timor (just northwest of GBR)
Finespotted - GBR
Pyle's - Papua New Guinea (just northeast of GBR)
Rowley Shoals fairy - Rowley Shoals (western Austrailian coastline)
Roseafacia - New Caledonia
Scotts - GBR, Holmes reef, Cook Islands, Society Islands, Tahiti
walindi - Papua New Guinea
Conniella apterygia -aka-Connie's Fairy (Close relative of the fairy - only one type known currently in its species) Rowley Shoals Western Austrailian coastline
FLASHERS:
P.Filamentosus - Papua New Guinea
P.flavinanalis - Scott's Reef Western Austrailia

That's it....what I can remember all around Austrailia
Old 02/25/2006, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Bronco7777,

I took the advice of one of your earlier post and purchased a common cleaner wrasse for my all wrasse tank. Great addition to my tank. They all go over to the station and get clean regularly and the flashing is spectacular. They love this guy. I have him eating brine, mysis and various flakes so I am hoping he will survive. Thanks for all your great post and sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

Doug