Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2006, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Here we go with the first pictures:

Johnsoni male - Just unpacked - Asleep. That is why his colors are marbled and pale. Looks kinda like a debelius here.

[/IMG]
Old 02/02/2006, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Female Johnsoni

[/IMG]
Old 02/02/2006, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Male starting to get his color as he awakes

[/IMG]
Old 02/02/2006, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Already eating

[/IMG]
Old 02/02/2006, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

It's getting late....I'll have some more pics in the morning. Wait, it's already tomorrow. Okay, I'll have some more pictures in a few hours.
Old 02/02/2006, 02:20 AM
Premium Member

SWEET! did you get them off his website? They were like 250$ weren't they?

Very nice indeed. Good luck with them and the initial intro
Old 02/02/2006, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Awesome wrasses, I'm sure they'll do great because after all, you are the fairy-wrasse pro lol.

Also, What are you feeding them in that picture?
Old 02/02/2006, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

They are feeding on frozen Mysis shrimp.

They look like they are ready to release from the specimen cup but I want to give the rest of my fish some more time to get used to them. I'm not concerned about the other fairies but rather the large mystery wrasse I have that is as large as the male and larger than the female johnsoni
Old 02/02/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

bronco7777-

do you mind posting a updated list of all the fairy wrasses that you have in your tank?

thanks

Nick
Old 02/02/2006, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Yellowflanked
Labout's
Finespotted
Yellowfin
Flame
Scott's
Orangeback
Exquisite
Pyle's
Solar
Lineatus
Rhomboid
Debelius
Eightline Flasher
Filamented Flasher
Johnson's (NEW - Male & Female)

Non- Fairies:
Black Hat pencil wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Cleaner wrasse

All these fish are scattered amongst 3 tanks. Looking at possibly upgrading my 135 Oceanic to a 400. If I can talk my wife into it.
Old 02/02/2006, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Hey everyone, great thread.

I tried to pick through the tread to see if this was mentioned and didn't find it.

I have a C. punctatus (I think) and was wondering if anyone else had this wrasse? Any information on it?

I have him with a Sailfin, Potters angel, pair of ocellarus clowns and a Lyretail anthias. I was worried about the anthias, but the fairy is a big male and he has left him mostly alone.

Thanks!

Jamie
Old 02/02/2006, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Bronco, sent a PM also....

Nick
Old 02/02/2006, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Bronco, good looking fish. Just curious didn't you have a pair of Rosy fins, did not see them on your list
Old 02/02/2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Yes Marcel, I do. I forgot to list them. Too many of them to keep track of these days.
Old 02/03/2006, 12:39 AM
AEFW Assasinator

Bronco7777 and all - suggestions please.

My 120g will be dedicated to sps and guess........yup, fairy wrasses.

Do any on you who have fairy wrasses have open top canopies on your tanks? I pondering and leaning towards pendants (housed within the canopy) or a hanging fixture (ala Lumenarc lighting).

Is there such a thing as being able to have your cake and eat it too with what I want to do?
Old 02/03/2006, 02:01 AM
Premium Member

i have open top on my 55 reef with a pair of flames. So far so good. It has only been 1.5 months, but im thinkingof putting eggcrate over it, because i dont want to lose them. But they dont usually go to the top unless feeding. they chill out under a cave and wait for food
Old 02/03/2006, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

Bronco,
I must say you have some of the nicest fish I have ever seen. I grew up raising killifish, discus, koi and apistogramma's which are in my opinion about as beautiful as they get in the freshwater world. Then I see the stuff you have and my jaw drops. In one of your pictures I thought I noticed a little centropyge multicolor and I was wondering if so how do they get along with your wrasses. I got into saltwater specifically for my love of the potter's angel and have been wanting to get a few fairy/flashers to keep with him and just wasn't sure about it. Another question I have is I have been having a somewhat hard time finding people that also sell the females and when I do they are signifcantly cheaper than the males so does it pay to buy a couple of females or are the males usually happy with just one. I am looking at getting either pyle's, flames or mccosker's (although the only ones I can really seem to find are the flames) and was wondering what kind of a price all these should command. I know I have found the flames for somewhere between $100 and $200 and the McCosker's for around $26 a piece although no option for males or females. And haven't really found the Pyle's. I don't plan on buying anything for about a month or so so I haven't really started calling around yet, but I like what I see from justrarefish so that is probably who I will call first. Thanks for any help.
And too bad it isn't a Bears vs. Broncos game this weekend
Old 02/03/2006, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

raddogz I would advise against an open top. I had my solar wrasse for over 6 months and there was just one small area where the eggcrate didn't cover, and finding him on the floor was definitly not a good experience. And during those 6 months he was always calm and never appeared like he was going to jump.
Old 02/03/2006, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

I can also say that Brian's fish are packed excellent, come in very calm and eat like crazy within hours after being shipped directly from Hawaii.
Old 02/03/2006, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Yep it WILL eventually happen; may even take a year but they WILL jump. I have had mine bounce off the TOP of my 12" canopy, then ricochet off the side before plopping back into the tank.

If you are thinking of pendants YES you can have your cake and eat it too. I have my Aqua Medic 150 mounted within my hood, and the back is covered with Nylon Needle Point craft mesh. But I only have that one 150 and a pair of 96w PC bulbs over a 58 Oceanic.
You might also want to cover any overflows, as it gets old having to fish, fish out of it on occasion.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 02/03/2006, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Ok I found a picture of my wrasse on wetwebmedia -

Here it is (hope they don't mind):

Any ideas on an ID?

Thanks.
Old 02/03/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

findawg,

Yes, I do have a Multicolor Dwarf Angel in my tank. That was the trade off I had to make with my wife. If I was gonna dedicate myself to just wrasses then I'd at least have to conceed one of her favorite fish...the multicolor. Actually its a very nice fish. She pratically rules the tank. No fairy wrasse messes with her. She only chases the fairy wrasses when they get in her general territory. Never bites. She does have a bit of a disliking towards the mystery wrasse...but never any damage done.
She never ever bites my corals and I attribute this to two things. First I got here extremely young (size of a nickle) and secondly she has always been well fed.

Fairy wrasses: Females are always hard to find because typically the females are always very uninteresting and bland in coloration as opposed to teh male which is always so brightly colored. Since many suppliers and LFS's get left with unsold females, they avoid bringing them in because its lost money most of the time. There are afew exceptions to look at as it relates to specific species.

Flame fairies - look very similar to male and have very bright colors all through life. Not hard to find
Solar fairies - The females are somtimes sold under the name ruby head fairy. They are fairly easy to get because they are pretty
Pyle's- sometimes available because they are a nice shade a pink and they look great up against the yellow male

Other than that, you'd probably have to special order females with other breeds and hope the LFS or supplier want to go through that route.

Pricing - Flames always hover around the $100 range. McCoskers is a wild card. Not always available and many times suppliers call run of the mill Carpenter Flashers McCoskers because they are very similar. Price is hard to say. A true McCosker is not always that easy to find.
Pyle's have been available on occasion to the trade but it's still not as common as say a solar fairy. Pricing varies quite a bit $100 to $200. I got mine from Justrarefish.com aka Marineaquatics.net. You may also want to check with Marinecenter.com or Liveaquaria.com

As for the Bears vs Broncos. I would have loved that. I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the TV every time a blitz was ordered by the Broncos against the Steelers young QB. Everytime they blitz they put their young rookie CB (Foxworth) on an island and he got burned everytime on 3rd down. That's the REAL reason the Broncos lost. Many will blame Plummer. But the real reason we (broncos) lost is because the "D" didn't adjust their gameplan and the offense was left to dig out of a big hole. Oh well....GO SEAHAWKS!
Old 02/03/2006, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Kimo,

That is a Solar fairy wrasse = Cirrhilabrus Solarensis
Old 02/03/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Cool -

Thanks Bronco. I got him for $46 mislabeled as a dotted fairy, the Solar fairy is $75.

Yay mislabeled fish

Also - How refined are the firy wrasses biological clocks? I have my lighting from 12 noon to midnight while the pet store has the lights from 9:30 am to 7 pm. I could see my wrasse out and about at 5:30 but not at 9.

Could he just be getting used to my tank and lighting?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 02/03/2006, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

They will adapt to your schedule. They are not very fussy fish.