Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Wow fish for 75G SPS tank

I used to always have one fish that was colorful and beautiful or, at least, very interesting. Now that I am moving my mixed reef to a SPS dominated tank I am beginning to consider adding something different. Any suggestions as to a "Wow!" fish that would be reef safe, fine for a 75G, fairly hardy, and yet stunning or unique in some way? Don't suggest mandarins although they sort of fit my criteria. A long time ago I had one. My pod population became decimated and then slowly, over the course of a year and a half, it got weaker and weaker. I will never do that again.

Suggestions please....

John
Old 07/22/2006, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

I am planning the exact same thing for my 75 gallon. ARe you doing 2 x 250w MHs? I have two false percs and a yellow tang in there right now. They are as stunning as stunning gets.
Old 07/22/2006, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I have a 4' by 2' X 18" 75G so the two 175MH and actinic suplements seem to be fine because it is pretty shallow. Were I to do it again, I would get 250's.

I have two common clowns that have been in the tank with the same LTA for nine years. They will always be in any tank I have. My Yellow tang is over five years old. I have a friend who wants the tang for a bigger tank and that is probably where it belongs. That would leave me the option of getting something new. I do like how the tang earned her keep by eating some types of algae over the years.

Good luck with your 75, it is great fun to plan it out and watch things grow.
John
Old 07/22/2006, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Look up the Lineatus Wrasse and the Watanabe Angel. Both of these are relatively uncommon and draw huge "wow" appeal.
Old 07/22/2006, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I was going to suggest one of the fairy wrasses. The Solar/Clown Fairy wrasse is absolutely striking in person, as are the Labouti, Linneatus, Cyanneus (sp?) Flasher Wrasse, Scott's Fairy Wrasse. You might also check out the Two Spot Hogfish (Candy stripe hog). Keep us posted what you choose.
Old 07/22/2006, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I'll take a look at the reef safe wrasse group. Might be something there that would be what I am looking for. Thanks! I'll post what I finally decide. I am in no hurry and research everything to death. So it will probably be a while...

John
Old 07/23/2006, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

If you go with reef safe wrasses you had better cover your tank. They are jumpers my tank is covered and I have had 3 jumps during feeding.
Old 07/23/2006, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

mystery wrasse, flame angel, purple tang, blue tang, flame hawk

all wow, fish
Old 07/23/2006, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

The wrasses still sound good. How do you cover your tanks without light loss? I really don't want to put glass or a screen under my MH lamps. I want as many photons as possible to reach my corals.

I am intrigued by purple tangs. They are beautiful but, wouldn't a 75G with 48" of length be a bit too small?

Thanks again,
John
Old 07/24/2006, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Try this

You can also create a pvc frame and wrap it with fishing line in a tight grid pattern.
Old 07/24/2006, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

African leopard wrasse
Old 07/24/2006, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

mystery wrasse....gem tang ......C. rhomoidalis wrasse......harem of anthias...shoal of chromis...copperband butterfly.....group of fairy or flasher wrasses.....ummmm a mandarin(just kidding)....

keep em out-----canopy with the lights.....and use eggcrate and screen on back and gaps where lights dont cover...this way you dont cut down on light(you can make a very high(and very unsightly eggcrate steel cage(wrestling type) where they still jump but cant get over top...

this way is kind of difficult..hence, watch out for your halide bulbs when they jump for breaking and burning of the fish.....

only other way is solidy egg crate or screen under the lights and as i just switch to SPS dominant tank but wanted a group of flashers i just chocked up the wrasses as a no go as the corals are my main interest..

once again
Old 07/24/2006, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

wow after i reread that my diction seemed very horrible and syntax very choppy..i hope you understood