Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2007, 09:52 PM
Friend to Vallonia

Pipe organ coral ... what do you feed?

I just got a pipe organ coral (Tubipora musica).

From what I've read, they like higher light and good flow, so I've positioned it accordingly. Anyone have experience of it prefering other conditions? After only a few hours, most of its polyps are extended, so it seems to be doing OK where it is.

Also, any feeding tips? I plan to feed it some H2O Life Coral Food (or whatever that frozen stuff is called), as I read it likes foods like that (small, similar size to cyclopseze).

The only thing that came up on a search is that it's often hacked off larger colonies, and has poor survival. This one is from the display tank at my LFS, so I know this particular piece wasn't wild collected.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

organ pipe coral

Mine is doing great & I just leave it alone. I am actually wondering why it is doing great. Had it about a year now, and has grown from a small frag of maybe 10 polyps, to a respectable coral head of 8 inch diameter. I run four T5 lights from 9 am to 6 pm daily

The tank is 90 gallons, and seems to be great for soft corals - my leather, my frogspawn and a variety of I don't know what the are corals are all thriving. I have a few stoney corals that the LFS suggested with only T5's - they all seem to be doing just fine. The tank will be 2 years of age this November.

On that topic - I have to do something about the xenia. I clean, I clean, and I clean & I can not keep it under control. I hate to disterb the tank - it is a happy community (a clown pair, a coral beaty, 4 blue chromis, a watchman gobbey, a royal gamma, and a fire fish (not sure this is the right name).

Are there any reef maintence crew members I can add to help me out with the xenia problem? I really don't have the time to spend hours each week peeling the damn stuff off the live rock.
Old 09/30/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

you can feed them zooplex or zoomax, you can buy ethier of them at your local pet store
Old 10/01/2007, 01:46 PM
clams are your friends.

I've had those grow like crazy in tanks with feeding nothing but light.
Old 10/02/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

I've had mine for 3 months and the only growth I've seen is 1 new polyp on the side about 4 weeks ago. All the polyps extend though.
Old 10/04/2007, 12:35 PM
Keeper of Tangs

i feed mine zooplex.
Old 10/04/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

You could ship some to me ill pay for shipping of course.