Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

I still try to catch the woodright shop on PBS when I can
Old 08/27/2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

I'm with you on that. True craftsman/tradesman are far and few between and are getting rarer. Yes, it is nice having automation for some things....but...

Part of the problem is the cost. The cost of the product these folks must charge to account for their time, materials, etc. It's just not productive and/or cost effective. Society has become so focused on money, which is the cause for the items costing so much. Whenever someone/anyone wants to make more money, it ends up costing everyone more money. It is mainly theoretical, but I believe there really is only a finite amount of money. If someone wants more money for an item, the person needs more money to purchase it, so they must charge more for what they do, ....and on and on it goes.

I miss the time where people took out things in trade. I need something you are good at doing and you are in need of something I need or am good at doing. No money passes hands, but we both got when we needed. Our first house was built that way...it was awesome...we only paid for the materials to build it.

But again, so many folks want to make tons of $$ and there is a price to pay for it.

Again, Don, you have done some amazing work. I'm anxiously awaiting to see how it all comes together.

Last edited by medic29; 08/27/2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08/27/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by medic29
Part of the problem is the cost. The cost of the product these folks must charge to account for their time, materials, etc. It's just not productive and/or cost effective.

Again, Don, you have done some amazing work. I'm anxiously awaiting to see how it all comes together.
More accurate than you could ever realize. Here is a rocker that will set you back $3500 and net me minimum wage before taxes. Thats slave labor Well worth it to me but Ive got to eat and that isnt going to cut it even for top ramen.

Old 08/27/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Wow! That rocker is absolutely gorgeous! Is that one of yours Don? I'm loving this thread, and I can't wait for more pictures. Fantastic woodworking.
Old 08/27/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Man, that´s wonderful !
Anderson.
Old 08/27/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Yes, but to get back on the real subject. I did finaly order my log from the sawer for the doors so the stand should actually be finished in the next two weeks. Then I can set up the spray booth and get it shot with lacquer. My acrylic came in for the tank with a big gouge so I have to wait another week for more. Which is fine it probably safer not being in my shop. I'll get more pics up pretty quick.

Don
Old 08/27/2007, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

That, i believe is a sam maloof rocker. Speaking of bandsaws being the most important tool, Sam cuts all the curves freehand on the bandsaw to shape those beautiful Rockers.
On a side note, what laquer are you using to finish your stand. Nitrocellulose?
Old 08/27/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jstraka1
That, i believe is a sam maloof rocker. Speaking of bandsaws being the most important tool, Sam cuts all the curves freehand on the bandsaw to shape those beautiful Rockers.
On a side note, what laquer are you using to finish your stand. Nitrocellulose?
Definatly not a Maloof but it is a copy. Sams work is by far superior. Sams rockers are cut with hand drawn templates and his mortice machine is the coolest thing Ive ever seen. I dont think their is anyone that can reproduce the seat. Its a dead give away to tell a copy. I will use just good old fashioned deft thinned down a little so it flows through the hvlp gun.
This is my first real aquarium stand so we'll see how it holds up.

Don
Old 08/27/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

I used Deft on my Knotty pine kitchen counter tops about 5 years ago. It doesnt hold up to moisture and heat very well. It was a beautiful finish though. Water spills clouded up instantly, but faded pretty fast.
Old 08/27/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I was given a 5 gallon can of deft finish back in junior high by the shop teacher. I had an unfinished project to take home (stereo cabinent) and he just gave me the whole damn thing. (I guess when the stuff still had a good ol high VOC content). I was very happy with the finish and the stereo cabinent served as a stand for the oscar tank for 10 years. The finish did very well.

I am not well versed in finishes and struggle with them almost every project. I have read thousands of pages on the wreck and and have come to the conclusion that it is like religion and something not to discuss among mixed company.

I have been using the General Finished brand that is sold at WoodCraft and been very happy. I did a church bench and some other stuff. I do like it much better than anything I have ever touched by minwax.
Old 08/27/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

The finish on the old table in the back ground is close to 15 years old and has had more beer than bean. Its been abused, sits under a window and has been left out in the rain.
You do have to make sure you use a few coats deft sanding sealer prior to the final finish. I spray it on everything from chairs to tables and have not been alive long enough to see it get worn out.

It still looks good except for the big gouges here and there.

Old 08/27/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Nobody or nothing has had more beer than bean I have spilled more beer than most have ever slurped.
Old 08/27/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Nobody or nothing has had more beer than bean I have spilled more beer than most have ever slurped.

I think your right finish is somthing everyone has their own way. I use the old high voc deft for anything shiny. I have a blend of poly tung and beeswax that I use on anything natural. I also think the key to a long lasting finish is good old johnsons paste wax. You have to take care of anything that is expected to last.

Don
Old 08/27/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

I wish I knew about the Deft sanding sealer 5 years ago, oh well, I kinda like the distressed look anyway
I agree everyone has their own way to finish. I like the hand rubbed Tung/poly. Finishing is an art many overlook.
Old 08/30/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

i like the deft but not the spray nozzel, are you using a spray gun? Right now i have some Helmsman spar urethane spray i plan on using. Any suggestions ,
Old 08/30/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bayreef
i like the deft but not the spray nozzel, are you using a spray gun? Right now i have some Helmsman spar urethane spray i plan on using. Any suggestions ,
I have a hvlp spray sytem it works real well. You do have to be careful. High voc origonal deft is toxic. I set up a plastic spray booth when its time to spray and use a exhaust fan and respirator.
I spray everything so dont really have any tips on application other than dont buy cheap brushes if thats how your going to apply it.

Don
Old 08/30/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

This is the first build where the stand is getting more attention than the tank i love it LOL
Old 08/30/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andbigdaddy2
This is the first build where the stand is getting more attention than the tank i love it LOL
I'll get there the stand and electronics is the hard part. Tank is just plastic. It will all sort of jump together all at once. I just finshed the research on the underlighting that will be recessed into the top of the stand. Now that that is figured out I can move on.

Don
Old 08/30/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I made a Padauk veneered bookshelf back when the kids were little. Since my daughter spends most of the year at school, she swapped rooms with her sister, and that bookshelf kind of "reappeared". It was finished with Deft and the color is about the color of rust on a bolt now. Not sure of the exact reason, since I have Padauk veneer and lumber in the shop that's still the beautiful bright orange color.

I was curious if you gave some thought to what the heat from the hqi's will do to the veneers in the fixture?

Very nice work! What bandsaw are you resawing your veneers on?

Bean, there's a bunch of smaller benchtop lathes out there now.
Old 08/30/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralnut99
I made a Padauk veneered bookshelf back when the kids were little. Since my daughter spends most of the year at school, she swapped rooms with her sister, and that bookshelf kind of "reappeared". It was finished with Deft and the color is about the color of rust on a bolt now. Not sure of the exact reason, since I have Padauk veneer and lumber in the shop that's still the beautiful bright orange color.

I was curious if you gave some thought to what the heat from the hqi's will do to the veneers in the fixture?

Very nice work! What bandsaw are you resawing your veneers on?

Bean, there's a bunch of smaller benchtop lathes out there now.
I have a little 14" jet with a riser block and a 24" powermatic. The little saw is much easier for small stuff 6" wide or smaller.

My guess is that you used a sander on the padauk.

Don
Old 08/30/2007, 05:24 PM
Slightly Obsessed

double post.
Old 08/30/2007, 05:24 PM
Slightly Obsessed

Absolutely amazing. The woodworked lighting canopy is gorgeous, as is everything else. Well done!

*follows along*
Old 08/30/2007, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

great work.
mag7 for the sump return
kalk reactor , refugium ro/di unit
asm g3 skimmer ,
Old 08/31/2007, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

No sander. When I made it (about 20 yrs ago, man I feel old typing that !), a handheld was the only thing I had of that nature, and even then, I knew enough not to belt sand veneered panels. I know the Deft darkened it some right out of the can, but over the years it's just darkened so much, it looks more like Cocobolo.

I always wanted to put a riser block in my old taiwanese bandsaw, but just thought I would be in for an alignment nightmare. When my involvement in my son's baseball seasons starts to dwindle, it's high on the list of things to do.
Old 08/31/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralnut99
No sander. When I made it (about 20 yrs ago, man I feel old typing that !), a handheld was the only thing I had of that nature, and even then, I knew enough not to belt sand veneered panels. I know the Deft darkened it some right out of the can, but over the years it's just darkened so much, it looks more like Cocobolo.

I always wanted to put a riser block in my old taiwanese bandsaw, but just thought I would be in for an alignment nightmare. When my involvement in my son's baseball seasons starts to dwindle, it's high on the list of things to do.
I dont use sand paper or even a hand sander on exotics. It will never retain the color after being sanded. If it is sanded it has to be re aged before finishing. If it has places that need to be sanded then I just let it set for about three weeks with both the front and back sided exposed to air. Also you have to sand and re age the entire piece so it will not look funny. Sanding padauk will produce orange wood. Scraping and slicing the wood will produce red wood. Take a look at my drain box a few pages back. That has no finish and is scraped. Scraping exotics will produce a polished look without finish.
Padauk is just a generic term for a few different trees. African is the most common and will do just what you are seeing. Andaman will hold it color the best and Burma is next in line.
African is also the cheapest, Andaman is usually double the cost. African is also what is used for commercial veneers.
All exotics are different but when you have a piece done with exotics it has to be taken care of differently. A oak piece will also change color but most find the change desirable. A Padauk piece needs to be waxed and taken care of to prevent it.

Don