Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 08:37 AM
Guardian of Little People

Some things I don't understand

A local woman was recently beat into a coma by her boyfriend, who then set fire to her house (twice) while she was in the hospital. He was 33, she is 40.

A candlelight vigil/fundraiser for her was held last night. Her friends spoke out about what a wonderful person she is, and all the normal things you would expect a friend to say. Hundreds of friends and family were in attendance.

The part I don't understand: the boyfriend is a known meth addict, and has been jailed/in prison several times. No one deserves to be beaten into a coma, but I have to wonder why someone who is supposedly "bright, intelligent, funny" would let a convicted felon move in with her and at least one child. Couldn't one of the hundreds of friends and family had said to her, "Are you nuts"? before this guy makes a punching bag out of her?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/25/2007, 08:41 AM
On "The List"

hey, woman beating arsonist meth addicts need love too, maybe she had a big heart and thought she could save him

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 10/25/2007, 08:43 AM
Simply Complicated

I would have told her but I don't have friends for that very reason. Very few people like that fact that I say what I think.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:46 AM
Moved In

Well the people I know that are kind of like that, just have some kind of need to 'help' people. They have the delusion that they can change them.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/25/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

a true friend stabs you in the front.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

gotta agree with ya there Brian, unfortunetly its not the first time and wont be the last...
Old 10/25/2007, 08:49 AM
Simply Complicated

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwd5813
a true friend stabs you in the front. [/QUOTE

YEP, that's the way I see it.

BTW, your socks don't match.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aliie
I would have told her but I don't have friends for that very reason. Very few people like that fact that I say what I think.
you have friends - hugs

Now do these pants make my butt look big?.. u know like the Search engine makes Carries look big?

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10/25/2007, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

yes they do, just not each other!
Old 10/25/2007, 08:51 AM

http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2007/1...a316073633.txt

Old 10/25/2007, 08:53 AM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
you have friends - hugs

Now do these pants make my butt look big?.. u know like the Search engine makes Carries look big?

Nope no friends, just my keyboard and it loves me unconditionally.

No the pants don't but that hat makes your head look big.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

she allowed it because she has ZERO self esteem, doesn't think a "normal" man would want any part of her, she takes the first thing that comes along because she's terrified of being alone. you can bet it isn't her first abusive relationship and if she lives through this one, it won't be her last.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:57 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

Ok, people may be forgetting that maybe the guy wasn't always like this. Maybe he became addicted after they had been dating some time, and its not easy to leave someone you love when they are in need of help. Sometimes it is the only thing you can do, but its still not easy!
Old 10/25/2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by snulma1
Ok, people may be forgetting that maybe the guy wasn't always like this. Maybe he became addicted after they had been dating some time, and its not easy to leave someone you love when they are in need of help. Sometimes it is the only thing you can do, but its still not easy!
Based on his rap sheet, unelss she was dating him when he was 15, I think she knew what she was getting.

Old 10/25/2007, 09:05 AM

http://www.judici.com/courts/cases/c...NATHY,%20JASON

The above link is to his arrest record just in this county, going back 15 years. At least one case (I didn't look at all of them) was 3 years ago with an order of protection filed against him by a different woman.

Old 10/25/2007, 09:07 AM
Simply Complicated

I think every person these days should request a criminal background check and a medical clearence before getting involved, don't you Brian?

Old 10/25/2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I think every person these days should request a criminal background check and a medical clearence before getting involved, don't you Brian?
Meaning what?

Old 10/25/2007, 09:17 AM
m0delgator

Re: Some things I don't understand

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
All things I don't understand
Fixed it for you.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately, when people are "in love" they don't listen to their friends and family. The abusive person also starts out slowly isolating the victim from family and friends and then starting the abuse which worsens over time. They also think that their love is different and the person will change. No one ever changes and the cycle is repeated.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 10/25/2007, 09:28 AM

Aliie, sorry, my response didn't come across well. Remember that I live in a small community, and you really don't have to do background checks. This guy's troubles have been well-documented for years and years, and his name is well known.

Old 10/25/2007, 09:29 AM

Carrie, that is very sad.

Old 10/25/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or serious, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't blame people if they did do that nowadays.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:37 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
she allowed it because she has ZERO self esteem, doesn't think a "normal" man would want any part of her, she takes the first thing that comes along because she's terrified of being alone. you can bet it isn't her first abusive relationship and if she lives through this one, it won't be her last.
DING DING DING DING

We have a winner.

I've had unfortunately too much experience with family members in this area.

Too old for women to care
Old 10/25/2007, 09:40 AM
Simply Complicated

Quote:

Quote:
Meaning what?
I was just trying to say that it's not common for anyone to ask these kinds of questions of someone they are interested in having a relationship with.

Quote:
Aliie, sorry, my response didn't come across well. Remember that I live in a small community, and you really don't have to do background checks. This guy's troubles have been well-documented for years and years, and his name is well known.

If it was known by her before they started seeing eachother then she's just stupid IMO. If she wasn't from the same town or didn't know first but others that claim to be her friends did and never said anything, they are pieces of crap.

I totally see your point but humans rarely think rationally when it comes to emotions.

We're good though Right?
Old 10/25/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
If it was known by her before they started seeing eachother then she's just stupid IMO. If she wasn't from the same town or didn't know first but others that claim to be her friends did and never said anything, they are pieces of crap.
My only question is how long does it take a person to figure out they are dating a drug addict? Especially someone addicted to meth. Even if it took a few months, you aren't so emotionally vested in the relationship that you can't get out. I think Nina hit the nail on the head. She won't leave this relationship ever. He may end it someday, but she won't.