Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Kalkwasser auto top off qestion

I am looking to by an auto top off system, probably from aquahub. I want to use kalkwasser solution as the top off water. ?f i mix a weeks worth of kalkwasser for the auto top off container, do i need to put a small power head in the bucket to keep the solution constantly mixed? Eventually I hope to get a calcium reactor and change the top off to just RO/DI, but money only permits me to invest in a top off system.
Old 10/26/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

I didn't have to. I just made sure to mix the kalk very well when I added it to the topoff reservoir. At the time I was using a 5 gallon bucket mixed to 1/2 saturation with 1/2 gpd evaporation -- so it lasted ~10 days and it upped the calcium,ph nicely while keeping KH stable.

FWIW, the topoff system I use came from autotopoff.com and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 10/27/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

http://www.cbkaquatics.com/ has a real nice affordable autotop off/kalk doser system. I use it and have gotten great results.

I mix the kalk in a seperate bucket before I dump it into the doser. This helps it to be more disolved in the water so I don't have to clean out the bottom of the doser.

It has been keeping my calcium at 460ppm, and my ph even more stable than before. KH also staying very stable because of it.
Old 10/27/2007, 02:12 AM

In my very honest opinion, I wouldn't recommend using Kalk as a topoff water.. just so many things that could go wrong. For example - if your 75G loses around 2G per day, there is no way you will top off 2 gals of Kalk in one day to replenish what was lost. Personally, my ideal setup would be two peristaltic pumps - one for RO/DI topoff and one for Kalk solution. I have been using this method for YEARS and it works fine. I'm sure there are other methods out there, but I'd like to share what works for me.. hope that helps
Old 10/27/2007, 02:16 AM

Re: Kalkwasser auto top off qestion

Quote:
Originally posted by paulallen
....... do i need to put a small power head in the bucket to keep the solution constantly mixed?
You could, but you have to clean the pump almost every week. Mine kept getting stuck after a week once saturated Kalk clogged it up.. then it wouldn't start anymore. I switched to a smaller 1 gallon container so I don't have to keep mixing it. I do have to replenish it every other day though.
Old 10/27/2007, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

When using Kalkwasser (limewater) It is highly recommended to drip it. If you use an ATO and it has a (let say for conversation purposes) a maxi jet pump, depending on where you want your water level to be before the ATO kicks on and how much water is being dosed into your system you could cause a serious PH spike if you use limewater. TOO MUCH LIMEWATER AT ONE TIME CAN CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS.
That is why you should use a dosing pump and a timer if you want to use limewater (Kalk).

Now there is a thing called Kalk slurries, that's where you make about 1/2 gallon (I think)of saturated limewater and pour it into your system over a period of like an hour or two.

Like XTM said there is a lot that can go wrong w/ using Kalk (limewater) if you dose it incorrectly. But if you dose correctly it will help you MAINTAIN your ALK and CAL. Also if you have issues w/ low PH it will raise it.

It is also recommended to dose it at night when your PH levels drops. That will prevent a super spike also it will keep your PH stable.

There are alot of DIY Kalkwasser reactor out there. Look in the DIY forum one of there first threads in there.
Old 10/27/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Mine drips constantly. I go through 2 or 3 gallons of evaporation per week, not per day. My tank is in my cooold basement.
Old 10/27/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Technically, I believe you're better off letting the kalk settle out before dosing as opposed to the slurry or constant motion approach. There was a study done that showed the impurities in the kalkwasser powder tend to precipitate down to the bottom. By letting it settle, and extracting only the cloudy water above, you will not introduce those impurities into your tank.
I would say more about CBK Aquatics but I own the company and it's against the rules of this forum to promote my business.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

Agreed! You want to stir it well first (in-fact, if you can, stir it in a separate container, than just add everything except the gunk on the bottom) When well mixed, kalk will create a protective film at the top that you also don't want to disturb. After that though, putting a powerhead or something in it just doesn't make sense to me.

FWIW, I was automatically topping-off with purely saturated kalk for a short while (~10 gallons at 2tsp/gallon) with no serious adverse effects. Mind you I wasn't dosing anything else that would cause a precipitation event, and I had low pH to start with. My Calcium went a little higher than I would have liked (~490) and my Alk climbed to 11 -- so I cut it down. This was after I removed my glass top and started evaporating 1.5 to 2.0 gallons per day. I use an FT-70 pump from autotopoff turned down very low so as not to shock the system.

That being said, everyone's tank is unique, so I'd strongly advise starting slowly if you plan to go this route. I didn't have much of a choice -- in a 70 gallon tank with a sump and a topoff reservoir, space gets a little limited to start adding paristaltic pumps, kalk reactors, calcium reactors and CO2..

Just my newbies depreciated $0.02 though
Old 10/27/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Just use a power head to mix it the first day. After you put it online you don't need to stir it anymore. It doesn't have a great shelf life but its good for a week or two.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I was only talking about using the powerhead for mixing purposes, not as the delivery system for the AOT. I thought about the possible problems that could occur with malfunctions and over dosing. I have heard stories of what appears to be a snow shower in tanks. I was also thinking of using the peristaltic pumps. What do you use as your float switch xtm? Also, do you have both pumps run at once when it calls for more water? Or do you have them set differently?
Old 10/29/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I use an aqualifter to dose mine, I have only had to clean the pump once in a year and it is still going strong. I run a gallon of kalk water through it every day.

Quote:
In my very honest opinion, I wouldn't recommend using Kalk as a topoff water.. just so many things that could go wrong. For example - if your 75G loses around 2G per day, there is no way you will top off 2 gals of Kalk in one day to replenish what was lost. Personally, my ideal setup would be two peristaltic pumps - one for RO/DI topoff and one for Kalk solution. I have been using this method for YEARS and it works fine. I'm sure there are other methods out there, but I'd like to share what works for me.. hope that helps
Or, just mix the strength you need. If you evap 2 gallons a day but only need 1 gallon of kalk, mix it at half strength.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjj175
Technically, I believe you're better off letting the kalk settle out before dosing as opposed to the slurry or constant motion approach. There was a study done that showed the impurities in the kalkwasser powder tend to precipitate down to the bottom. By letting it settle, and extracting only the cloudy water above, you will not introduce those impurities into your tank.
I would say more about CBK Aquatics but I own the company and it's against the rules of this forum to promote my business.
This was my understanding, and is how I do mine. I live in a very dry area, and I evaporate about 1 gallon a day.
I mix up 3 gal at a time and drip it after it settles, and that takes a couple of hours.
Just my $.02
HTH
Spleify