Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish

Old 12/22/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

advice wanted on kind of seahorse

I am in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tank for seahorses. It will be several months before I actually get the horses, as I want the tank to be well cycled. I would like advice on what kind and how many seahorses that I could safely put in the tank. The only other live things that will be in the tank is a cleaner crew. I have been doing alot of reading, but still would appreciate advice from people who have seahorse tanks. Thanks so much and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. :-)
Old 12/23/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Happy Holidays to you, as well!! A 30 gal could house up to two pair of Erectus, Kuda or Reidi. For two pair you'd have to be diligent with your maintenance and water changes to ensure a healthy environment for the seahorses.

I have two pair of Southern Erectus in a 29 gallon, quite honestly the males are huge and they are looking cramped. I have 6 Northern Erectus (which are a bit smaller than their Southern relatives) in a 46 bowfront and they are quite happy.

Remember - do NOT mix species, keep the temp at 74F or lower, only buy captive bred, and purchase direct from a breeder if possible.

Hope that helps a bit....

Tom
Old 12/23/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Our 30 gallon originally had two pairs or Reidi and it required much more maintenance than we liked ... we relocated one pair and the difference is HUGE! Its just much better balanced with the two... our 55 gallon is fine with two pairs-
Old 12/23/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

I have 2 juvenile erectus, a mature Reidi and Erectus in a 29h. They do fine. I do keep a close eye on water conditions and do changes. They were purchased from a fellow reefer and have been together for quite a while.

My plan is to set up a custom built, in wall, seahorse colony tank. About 125 or so. I am so excited

Happy Holidays and good luck with your new tank
B
Old 12/23/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for all of your advice....I currently have 2 tanks running...a bowfront ( I think 48 gallons) measurements are 36x14x21 high and a 65 gallon( I think) tank that measures 36x18 1/2 x 21 1/2 high. After Christmas I am getting a 150 gallon tank and I am going to combine the two tanks mentioned above. Would one of those be better for the seahorse tank? If so, which one?? After reading many posts on this forum I am thinking that the 30 gallon may be to small for the seahorses. Whichever tank I don't use I am going to convert to a freshwater tank with silver dollars in it. If I am going to do this, I want to do it right the first time. Thanks again.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Yes, go with one of them ... both would make great sh tanks.

BTW, I commend you on your willingness to be patient and do the necessary research. Both with figure greatly into your degree of success.

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Thank you. I have decided to go with the 65 gallon tank for the sea horses. I plan on setting up a 10 gallon tank for a fry tank if I am lucky enough to have babies. The 65 gallon tank already has nice red coraline algae all over the back and on the live rocks. I keep it scraped off the front and sides. Now I am going to start getting the "hitching posts" for the little guys. There is alot more to taking care of the sh than I thought at first. !!!! I think they will be worth all of the effort envolved...Thanks again..
Old 12/24/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by connieyvonne
I think they will be worth all of the effort envolved...
More than you know.

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.