Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/09/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Yellow watchman always hiding...

I've had a yellow watchman for about 6 months, but he always seems to hide. Maybe he will come out once or twice a day. Anyway I can make him feel more confortable, or entice him to come out?

Alex
Old 12/09/2007, 10:46 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Not really, mine does the same thing.
Old 12/10/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

This is their natural behavior, so just about impossible to change.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:39 AM
King of the white corals

its not actually impossible........my reef is lifted with acrylic rods......can see any of them from the front view of the tank...but the reef is hollow and I can see 100% of the sandbed.

I think it ticked off my pink spotted watchman pretty good for while, but he camps under the same rock 24/7 and I can watch him all day long.

here is his rock.....and my pb invading his space...lol

Old 12/13/2007, 09:19 AM
This is my Passion

What other fish do you have? He is probably intimidated by one of them. I have a pair, the female is more shy and hangs back. But the male is out alot...especially since I downsized my fishload.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

My 1+ year old yellow watchman prefers the sump under the return pump it's been there for 5 or 6 months, it's pretty funny as soon as I put it in the display tank goes straight to the over flow and down the drain. It acts like it's been trained to do that
Old 12/13/2007, 09:32 AM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by cristhiam
It acts like it's been trained to do that
most likely by the damsels or dottyback...
Old 12/13/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

I've a YWG paired with a pistol shrimp for over a year now and in the beginning it'll only come out for feeding the dash right back. Now it'll open it's mouth wide open and push other fishes away when they are in front of their area and will swim out in mid column to get the Dragon Gobies away. Otherwise I don't see the YWG much but it has grown quite a bit over the past year and it's not picky when it comes to food.

I don't think you've much to worry as long as it's eating and no other goby is harrass it. My YWG & pistol has tunnels to couple of areas toward the back of the tank so they always have an escape path if threaten.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waterfaller1
most likely by the damsels or dottyback...
Yeah probably the dottyback
Old 12/13/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I have a pink spotted watchman as seen above. He/She? is out all the time mainly feeding. The most agressive fish I have are damsels though. They are a fun fish!