Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 10/21/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

T5 Lighting or PC?

I currently have a PC lighting system with 2 96 watt lamps on my 40 gallon tank. The ballasts blew and the lights no longer run. A guy at the pet store recommended that I replace my lights with 36" 39 watt T5 lighting. I have an assortment of soft corals, fish, and a bubble anemone.

Would it be best to purchase a new power compact system or to get the T5 lighting? The T5's operate at much cooler temperature but I worry about the low wattage. If anybody has any direction on what would be best that would be appreciated!
Old 10/21/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Man, go T5 no doubt, didn't you know that the watt/gallon meassure is useless now?, T5 will put on so much light and you will use less wattage. T5 are comparable to MH, PC are low intensity and last 9 months only.
Old 10/21/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Yea, T5 for sure. I would go bigger on the lighting though. A double bulb fixture with 2 39watt bulbs in it, 1 10K bulb and a 1 actinic bulb will show the colors of your corals off better.
Old 10/21/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
If you go 4 x 39w T5 you'll have a system that can keep just about anything. 6 x 39w and you'll be wearing sunglasses indoors.

There is no comparison between PC and T5. The T5 technology is FAR superior. Just make sure you get quality reflectors......that's the key to T5 success.

swimmer
Old 10/21/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

My house glows at night with T-5's.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

I have a 520 watt pc fixture (4 130w pc's). What would be a comparable T5 set-up?
Old 10/26/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Quote:
Originally posted by neepsync
I have a 520 watt pc fixture (4 130w pc's). What would be a comparable T5 set-up?
If you used a 48" x 6 bulb or a 48" x 8 bulb fixture you'd have enough light to keep anything in your tank you desired. Assuming of course you didn't use all actinic bulbs

swimmer