Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2007, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

reefs in a salon?

Anyone know if its feasible to keep a reef tank in a hair OR nail salon?
Old 07/08/2007, 11:14 PM
The Iron Knight

well when i lived in maryland there was a nail salon that had a fish only with a couple mushrooms. other than that i'm not sure if the hard coral would do to well

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi
Old 07/08/2007, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

I'm reminded of the time I had to go into a nail salon on my most recent job. I remember noticing that the employees all had this dazed, glassy-eyed look, and it was understandable, because the fumes were enough to knock you on your rear end. I can't say if that's the norm, though, because going to get my nails done isn't on my weekly to-do list.

Now, I'm not sure how fumes in that quantity or any other would affect a fish tank, but if it's a hair salon then you've got stuff like hairspray floating around and settling on surfaces - which would include water in a fish tank. I know that it's usually recommended that tanks be uncovered, so if that's going to be the case there might be a chance of some sort of chemical getting in to the water and upsetting things. And remember, since you're talking about a business, you've got stuff being sprayed for at least 8 hours a day for five or six days a week.

Again, I'm not sure if that's enough to be detrimental to a fish tank, but it's something to consider.

On the other hand, if the tank is going to be in a waiting area separate from the actual work area, then it sounds do-able.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

I'd not doing it unless it was an inwall unit with a closed off fish room area to service it.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Hairspray is evil. Read this thread. It'll be helpful.

swimmer
Old 07/09/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I can stay in ther for 2 secends. I don`t think the fish would ether. If I go in to a lfs, and smell animal poo I walk back out the door!
Old 07/09/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Well if there is an air exchanger you could run an fresh intake line into your canopy. This way there would always be a negitive air pressure pushing the bad air away from the tank. Just make sure your canopy is half decently snug fitting and I really can't see why there would be a problem.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Sorry I ment to say possitive air pressure not negative air pressure.