Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/06/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy

Anyone else seen this on their Idol? Other than that change, he's doing great. Nice and healthy looking and a constant swimmer.
Its only been a few months but i have notice that each time its lots its fin it would regrow but more harder and longer and towards the end soft like.. It hasent lost it latly its just been growing like crazy. I think since i removed the other idol it has been stress free and now hopefully "thriving" for the most part.
Old 08/06/2007, 03:06 PM
30 year and over club

Chevy, this one that I saw in Bora Bora had a streamer like that.
For some reason some of them have the hard streamer, I don't know what it signifies.
Old 09/04/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

If I post the success with my Idol I will also post my failure.

My idol disappeared a week ago or so. I could look it up but I believe I was nearing the 8 month mark with the fish.

For all the horror stories of Idols I had found mine quite easy to keep. I feed heavy 3 times a day in a heavily skimmed sps tank and the Idol had been gaining weight and looked as fat as most of the wild Idol photos I've seen. Unfortunately there is always a downside to these stories.

The down side. I believe mine died from aggression. Having raised fish since I was a kid I have seen cichlids rip the crap out of each other, tangs in nightly knife fights all come out fine. My idol it seems got his come upins. He ran my tank lauding over a hippo tang and a yellow tang that he seemed to enjoy picking on. I got the final fish I wanted in my tank a Powder blue tang. At fish the Idol picked on him but at some point the powder realized he was better armed. Back and forth a balance had been struck. A stand off between dominate fish always seem to be a good thing to achieve but slowly the Powder blue gained ground.

The aggression evolved slowly basically the most I would see was the PB tang would chase the Idol everyday before lights out. The lighting is on a timer so they knew when it was coming and the chase would go on for around 10 minutes. Never any nipping and only the ocassional tang knife slash. Again seemly not serious by the standards of the dozen of types of fish I've kept.

Then one morning I fed and my piggy Idol wasn't first in line. I never found the fish and baring some odd ball thing this is the best theory I have as to why the Idol died. They don't seem to handle aggression well

Great fish I will try again at some point.
Old 09/05/2007, 08:49 AM
Moved On

you think maybe the stress of being in a 150 did him in too?

mine seems very cramped in a 125 so i am putting him in my 220, its not a HUGE difference but I hope it helps
Old 10/16/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Well next week is will be 7 months for my idol just thought i update this thread with some pictures... enjoy!