Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 06/20/2007, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

its too late the main one killed off the rest, mine were about 2.5-3"
Old 06/27/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Pseudoanthias Hutomoi.

Male flashing.....

Normal Look....

Old 06/29/2007, 02:23 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by copps

These are not mine, but I'm working on getting some... I photographed these in about 130 feet of water off the coast of the island of Niihau in Hawaii... they are endemic to Hawaii, and carry the appropriate Pseudanthias hawaiiensis name...

Male on the bottom of this shot...

Male on the right here, you could see the difference in color bwteen the two males...
Well, about a week and a half ago I finally scored a trio of Pseudanthias hawaiiensis! These are near impossible to find. Well, on the Big Island there's a collector who gets them about three miles offshore somewhere who's from what I know the only one getting these guys in decent shape. I received a male and two females in great shape... the females began eating right off the bat and have adapted amazingly well, but the male has yet to eat and his prospects don't look good unless he starts very soon. Yes I've tried feeding everything... After speaking with Charles Delbeek in Waikiki (one of the few people with experience with these guys) this is apparently common with the males... and now he tries to get females, which I was already thinking of doing before talking to him, but that confirms it. I'll do the same in the future, and just allow one to change on its own. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the females have done, and am past the point where infections would result from the needling they receive (remember these guys are DEEP). For those going to the Waikiki Aquarium, there are two of these on display in the deep reef exhibit with the new potter's/fisher's hybrid angel!

Anyway... here's some pics before adding them to quarantine... this is one of those fish that I got really genuinely excited to get... I've always loved them (they are the photo on the front cover of Scott Michael's "Reef Fishes Volume 1") and seeing them in person last year, if only for a the few minutes I could spend at 120 feet, only added to this!
Check 'em out guys!

females...

the male...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/29/2007, 02:55 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Nice specimens! Too bad about the male

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 06/29/2007, 03:02 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks Peter... it sucks, but I no longer get upset about losing fish when I know I've done everything for them. Life is much less tressful when you only worry about things that are under your control! Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to add females to the group in the future...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:49 PM

Totally agree with you!

Are you planning on housing them with other anthias?

Old 06/29/2007, 03:57 PM
angelfish nut!

No... they'll be the only anthias... they're smaller and a bit cryptic, so I don't want them bullied by other anthias... we'll see... still keeping my fingers crossed...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 06/29/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Very nice! Thats a shame about the male. He looks to be pretty young since his head has not taken on the features of the older males in your previous pictures or maybe it is just the way it looks in your new pics.

Carl
Old 06/29/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

so does anyone think that a pair of pictilis anthias are worth the price?

or should i stick with a group of other anthias
Old 06/29/2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyice
so does anyone think that a pair of pictilis anthias are worth the price?

or should i stick with a group of other anthias
I don't know...they never look too good when I see them for sale. Especially after seeing super healthy ones at the Georgia Aquarium...

Old 06/30/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

well my main concern is that the only good place around here cant get me in any female ignitus, unless when im there i can tell the wholesaler that i need what he calls dispars but 4-5 of them have to have blue eye rings with no yellow fork in the tail and then ONLY one male which has the fork in the tail, another option is to go with a school of about 5 bartletts but then at that point they seem to be hard to distinguish between male and female, which brings me to my last choices, to buy bigger, more aggressive anthias that seem to be hardier which leaves me with Bimac's, Squarespots, lyretails, and Pictilis

im not too much of a fan of lyretails so that throws them out, i have a few options i could go with but i still have time to think about it
Old 06/30/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

I have a male squarespot that is still hiding all the time. He was coming out and swimming in the open, but I moved my tank a week ago and he has been hiding ever since. He's come out a few times, but when he does, he bolts through the tank like lightening, bouncing off the bottom and even jumping once (thank God my tank is covered!). I added a female squaminipinis in hopes it would chill him out. No change yet. Is this typical? I know he's eating but I've never seen a fish so traumatized by a move.... Oh my, as I sit here typing, my 18 year old cat has JUST discovered my tank. I've never had furniture right next to it where he could get nose to nose with the fish (he and my firefish are trying to figure each other out). Again, glad my tank is covered!!

Concerned in Chico ('bout the anthias, not the cat)

"Well behaved women never get any respect" -- Benazir Bhutto
Old 06/30/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

welli passed up the chance on a pictilis pair today even though the male was 90 and the female was 55 just because the male wasnt eating at all and the female wasnt eating very well and the male had an eye parasite so no no on that
Old 06/30/2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyice
welli passed up the chance on a pictilis pair today even though the male was 90 and the female was 55 just because the male wasnt eating at all and the female wasnt eating very well and the male had an eye parasite so no no on that
Good call. I think anthias are enough trouble when starting out with healthy individuals

Old 07/01/2007, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

yeah this place had the most amazing selection of livestock in terms of rarity but the prices were so outrageous

1100 - male cross hatch trigger
600 - female crosshatch trigger
1400 - for the pair on sale!!!
350 - passer angel about 8"
475 - goldflake angel
90 - an infected male pictilis
450 - queen trigger
65 - baby flame angels
95 - female bluethroat

and thats not even the worst of it, all of the workers were young punks that werent doing anything, the owner was just sitting behind the counter eating food without helping anyone out, the store looked like crap because there were just tanks laying everywhere, just crap laying all over the place, and the first thing when you pull in is you see broken tanks sitting in front of the place, i will definitely not drive an hour to go to that place again, but i will say it is the first place that i have seen a complete supermale lyretail anthias and i was definitely impressed by it, it was about 5" long, passed the red stage to be more of a golden orange color, streamers on every fin on the fish, and the first dorsal spine that you see males display was about 2-3" on this guy, even more wierd two supermales in a 675G tank but they were right next to eachother the entire time
Old 07/01/2007, 09:22 AM

In that size tank having more than one lyretail male is not surprising. I think someone on RC has two in his 300g tank.

BTW, they were right next to each other the entire time because that's what they do...constantly sizing each other up. I saw it over and over at the Georgia Aquarium with lyretails.

And yes, those prices are crazy. Just order from LiveAquaria then...

Old 07/01/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

What a coincidance (sp?) just visited the geogria aquarium a few days ago. Anyone looking for real anthias that it the place to be. I almost had to sit down when I saw pictilis and bimacs swimming with achilles tangs, moorish idols, and black tip reef sharks. Truly amazing.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:57 AM

Bartlett anthias pair:

Ignitus anthias. Orange male...pink probably submale:

My mixed school (bartlett, ignitus, lyretail):

Old 07/04/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

the pink one is a submale, i can tell by the fork in the tail, females will have an all orange tail and a blue ring around the eyes, but that is a beautiful school

after seeing the supermale lyretail i kinda want to get a small school of them, and by supermale i mean completely full supermale with tail streamers everywhere and more of a dark golden orange
Old 07/04/2007, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I've seen the pics of the dinky female ignitus. These guys are huge! I've seen no aggression in the least so far, so I'm happy. And the pic doesn't show it, but they both have blue eye rings.

Be aware, that lyretails from different areas get diffrent male colors. Mine is a Maldive lyretail. Some of the more red versions come from closer to the Red Sea, I suspect, since the Red Sea males are very red, with yellow scales. Indo ones are purple/lavender with red fins and no yellow highlights on the scales.

Old 07/04/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

i kind of miss my ignitus, the best thing for me to do is to give the LFS owner a description of the females and males and then get them that way, plus i know i can get just about any species of anthias i like so i might even be able to get a trio of pictilis
Old 07/04/2007, 01:47 PM

I have to admit, a LFS here has a pair of pictilis now for weeks, they look very fat...just a little faded though. Unfortunately they want hundreds of dollars for them

Old 07/04/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

for the pair? or each? i must say that the way to go in terms of fish is to buy online or to find somewhere close that sells online at a good deal
Old 07/04/2007, 11:04 PM

They were asking $300 -$400 (can't quite remember) for a trio, but I never saw a second female, so not sure what was going on there...point is they were pricey. And they were HUGE! after seeing the ones at the GA, I would never try to keep them in anything less than a multi hundred gallon system.

Old 07/04/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I'm interested in purchasing Lyretails. Are they aggressive toward inverts (shrimps in particular) and how often should they be fed?