Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2006, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Holy Cow ... that stuff is not cheap at all! That stuff costs about as much as 2 prefab needle wheels.

Anyone already have some? If interested I'll PM you.
Old 11/09/2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyStacyE
Holy Cow ... that stuff is not cheap at all! That stuff costs about as much as 2 prefab needle wheels.

Anyone already have some? If interested I'll PM you.
that stuff it's the original material that ATI use on the eheim pump and i test both with this stuff the pump will pull more air .
Old 11/10/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

man what a great job. did you leave the impellar intact and just mount the scrubber stuff on top?
Old 11/10/2006, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Nice DIY. Did you cut the neddle off the impellar on SD5000 than put 3 layers of the mesh on?
Old 11/11/2006, 07:11 AM
Limestone cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by kentrob11
I was curious about the sp3- Based on my 4100 numbers I was thinking it would be pretty doable to get 800LPH out of a Gen-X 2400. If someone wants to donate one to me I'll work with it and see :-P.....I am getting 480LPH out of a Gen-X 1500 so I think it's definately feasible. It would be pretty nice to get 4 2400's for the price of 1 Eheim with the same performance. 23LPM seems a bit low for a 6000 though- I'll bet 30 could be achieved with a little pump modding.

Jasen- Thanks for the compliments but the only thing I can take credit for is the spraydown system- I shamelessly copied everything else :-P
What about a oceanrunner 3500? Has anybody tried one of those?
Old 11/11/2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

da colts
you mast cut the pins from the wheel impeller .

Creetin

it will work great on all type of pump even on small PH .
Old 11/12/2006, 09:02 AM
Limestone cowboy

I have an ocean runner 3500 and a un used MR2 beckett skimmer.
Thinking on using the 3500 on that and removing the beckett.
I will keep my BM though i could never change it. Just curious if i couls make that Mr2 run better than a beckett would.
Old 11/12/2006, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
I have an ocean runner 3500 and a un used MR2 beckett skimmer.
Thinking on using the 3500 on that and removing the beckett.
I will keep my BM though i could never change it. Just curious if i couls make that Mr2 run better than a beckett would.
you will surprise with this mod how it will work. if you can post picture on the O/R impeller.

the BM can changed to and i am working on it , but it's will take some time .
Old 11/12/2006, 06:05 PM
Limestone cowboy

I have 2 impellors the neelewheel and the regular impellor.
I'll get a pic of the needlewheel tomarrow. Thats the one i want to mod into the meshwheel
Old 11/12/2006, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

I did this mod on my Sedra 5000's and I'm very surprised with the increased performance. I went from between 5 & 10 lpm to between 10 & 15 lpm. I had to lower the level in my skimmer because the bubbles were overflowing over the collection cup. I tested with 2 different types of media for the mesh and it didn't seem to make a difference, I also tried them thicker and thinner and wider but nothing seemed to increase it anymore. I'm using a heavy duty scrub pad that I got from Ace Hardware.

Rich
Old 11/12/2006, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Holy crap Kent, that is just rediculous! I would like to think you cut your porverbial fabrication skills making my little sump a few years ago now, ha.

So, having said that, do I get a discount when you start making these for sale?
Old 11/12/2006, 09:55 PM
kz skimmer rocks

kent

i have a gen-x 2400 you can use --- let me know
Old 11/12/2006, 10:43 PM
Team RC Member

I'm going to order a stock Gen-x 4100 with their needlewheel and venturi and see what I can come up with when I mod it.
Old 11/12/2006, 10:56 PM
Weed Reefer

Thanks chad- We'll head over to John's house at some point And I'll get it from you then. Andrew- Don't bother wasting the money on the needlewheel version of the 4100- Just get a regular stock one for cheaper and make your own venturi and meshwheel for cheaper....
Old 11/12/2006, 11:18 PM
Team RC Member

Guess Ill go that way than. It's only $7 less for the standard impeller.
Old 11/13/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h20cooled
I did this mod on my Sedra 5000's and I'm very surprised with the increased performance. I went from between 5 & 10 lpm to between 10 & 15 lpm. I had to lower the level in my skimmer because the bubbles were overflowing over the collection cup. I tested with 2 different types of media for the mesh and it didn't seem to make a difference, I also tried them thicker and thinner and wider but nothing seemed to increase it anymore. I'm using a heavy duty scrub pad that I got from Ace Hardware.

Rich
what type of media you use can you post picture ? i am interesting to see what is the media you use , by the way to pick up from 5 to 15 it's a lot and you going to see the result in your collection cup
Old 11/13/2006, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

Do you have the name/brand of heavy duty scrub pad from ACE? I am interested to try the mod myself.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by h20cooled

Rich
Old 11/13/2006, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

has anyone moded a maxi-jet? the deltec mce300 is using a maxi-jet pump. i was fiddling around with a threadwheel design but had to leave for new york. i will take pics when i get back. there is not much room in the propellar housing.. so this will be interesting..... great idea by the way guys. i moded my sedra 9000 for my ER cs8-2+. man that thing works good!
Old 11/13/2006, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

LA-Lawman,
What did you use for your sedra 9000? Did you get a 2nd impeller or use the stock one and cut off the needlewheels?
Old 11/13/2006, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I modded my Sedra 9000 this weekend. Cut the pins off the needlewheel, and cable tied a course grinding pad to it. Definitly draws more air, but the pump is chattering and making a humming noise. Cant be good for it.
I'm trying to find the GG material or something else.
Old 11/13/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Do you think the zip ties are causing the problem?
Old 11/13/2006, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Interesting Hef. Did you get any pictures?
Old 11/13/2006, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hef
I modded my Sedra 9000 this weekend. Cut the pins off the needlewheel, and cable tied a course grinding pad to it. Definitly draws more air, but the pump is chattering and making a humming noise. Cant be good for it.
I'm trying to find the GG material or something else.
that is the problem with the mesh and because of that ATI connect the pump to the skimmer body with flex pipe and put under the inlet rubber to reduce the noise.

first you want to check if the zip ties not tuch nothing , look on the mesh and check that it's free and match to the wheel impeller.try to make it (the shape round and equal top and side of the mesh)

after try to put under the pump (pump holder) or some rubber in each corner , try if you can to put on the outlet flex tube and then connect it to the elbow maybe you will need to pickup the skimmer body but the noise will gone.
Old 11/13/2006, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisrush
Interesting Hef. Did you get any pictures?
you can cut the pinwheel on the impeller .look some post back i put here picture .
Old 11/13/2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LA-Lawman
has anyone moded a maxi-jet? the deltec mce300 is using a maxi-jet pump. i was fiddling around with a threadwheel design but had to leave for new york. i will take pics when i get back. there is not much room in the propellar housing.. so this will be interesting..... great idea by the way guys. i moded my sedra 9000 for my ER cs8-2+. man that thing works good!
ther is a mode on the AQUA CLEAR pump and it's better then the MAXI JET .

here is the link :

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=955274