Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Wont it just stick to the sheet pans too? I havent done that but i would only imagine... The reason people are using the sand and rock is because it will stick to them, but they can easily pick it up and the salt will evaporate or the sand will just flake off or be there (not sure, i didnt use sand) Maybe you should just consider sand since you dont care about the flat bottom and you wont be risking your time in the rock and the cookie sheet as well? Just a thought but im sure i will be corrected by one of these !Q of 150 guys lol
Old 10/27/2006, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

I just figured sheet pans would be cleaner than sand, not that it matters too much. Sand would be pretty easy. Maybe I'll mix another batch this weekend...anything to postpone rebuilding my sump.
Old 10/27/2006, 11:50 AM
My Life for Aiur!

It doesn't stick to the sheet pans. If you use Wax Paper, make sure that you have the wax side up. I made the mistake of the wax side down, and it stuck to the rocks.

FWIW, many people dose Aluminum in their reefs. You might want to pry around for some information on it and see if it something that you would like to do
Old 10/27/2006, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Aluminium is a toxic metal and souldn't be added to a reef aquarium.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

You need to get that out of the rock before you use it.
Old 10/29/2006, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone used calcium chloride in their mix as an accelerator?
Old 10/29/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROR
Has anyone used calcium chloride in their mix as an accelerator?
Yes, at aragocrete workshops an accelerator is a good idea since the rocks generally would have to be transported home within hours. If you are making the rocks at home outside in cold weather, it could be useful too but I haven't used it that way yet.

A latex fortifier is something I've tried the last couple times and it is now an essential IMO. You get very little crumbling and reduced excess alkalinity to neutralize or to leach away.
Old 10/30/2006, 10:12 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Interesting. Tell us more about that, Red Algae
Old 10/30/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Interesting. Tell us more about that, Red Algae
I'm sure there are other brands, but I've tried this one.
http://www.packagepavement.com/concrete_addons.html

It seems like you can make lighter thinner rocks with finer surface detail by adding this, and the pH neutralization time is much better. I put about 50# in a 100 gallons of rainwater this summer and it was useable within two weeks. The fw plants and algae in the half filled 175 vat may have had some helpful effect, maybe.
Old 10/30/2006, 01:24 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Cool. How much does it run in your area, and how much rock does it help make?
Old 10/30/2006, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

WOW.....43 pages!! What a read!!!

I am inspired, and will be at Home Depot when they open tomorrow!!

Thanks to all for your experiments and postings!
Old 10/30/2006, 11:05 PM
Obsessed

ok quick question.

whats the diffrence between curing and kuring?

im guessing curing is the cement hardening.. and kuring is the salt and ph leeching out of the rock?
rigth or wrong? feed back?
Old 10/30/2006, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

AFAIK...:

Kuring: cement leeching out salt and pH. Hardening might be part of this.

Curing: rock growing bacteria for aquarium use.
Old 10/30/2006, 11:31 PM
Frag from Mr ROWA himself

Quote:
Originally posted by Zestay
ok quick question.

im guessing curing is the cement hardening.. and kuring is the salt and ph leeching out of the rock?
You are correct
Old 10/31/2006, 02:21 AM
Premium Member

Rhodophyta, quick question if you may. In the hyperlink you provided for latex forifyers, I could only find a product that is an acrylic fortifyer. Same thing? Do you use this product in the mixture before you form the rocks or do you seal the rocks after they've hardened?
I've been trying to Kure my DIY rocks for 8 weeks now and the pH is still very high. There's so many pages to this thread. I think I've read somewhere that someone added vinegar to the water to kure it or did I imagine that?

parameters:
78-79F
alk 7dKH
sg 1.026
pH 8.2
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
calcium 400
Old 10/31/2006, 06:53 AM
Obsessed

also so i make sure i did everything correctly, i mixxed my rocks, formed them, let them sit for 48+ hours, put them im a batch of water. and change the water about everyother day.. do i need a period of them being dry at all ( after the inital 48 hours? )

or just wait till my water tests come back normal?
Old 10/31/2006, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lildraken
Rhodophyta, quick question if you may. In the hyperlink you provided for latex forifyers, I could only find a product that is an acrylic fortifyer. Same thing? Do you use this product in the mixture before you form the rocks or do you seal the rocks after they've hardened?
I've been trying to Kure my DIY rocks for 8 weeks now and the pH is still very high. There's so many pages to this thread. I think I've read somewhere that someone added vinegar to the water to kure it or did I imagine that?
Acrylic fortifiers are what I'm talking about. I incorrectly called them latex, a common faux pas since they smell just like latex paint. They are added to the dry mix replacing about half of the water, before the rocks are made. Kuring is a made up word, only known on this thread. Kuring = cleaning. It is easier to spell than neutralizing or leaching, the two cleaning processes really going on after the concrete begins to cure or harden. Neutralizing happens when an acid like vinegar or muriatic acid is poured over the rock. Leaching happens with water changes, whether continuous like in a stream, or periodic like in the tank of a toilet, or set out in the yard in a rainy climate, all mentioned earlier in this thread or it's splitoff. I'm sure the invented word was intended to reduce confusion between the hardening/curing process and our attempt to clean off excess alkalinity in the next step. It think it seems to be confusing more people than it has helped. All we are doing is cleaning the rock so it can be used, and cleaning has two general approaches leaching and neutralizing.

Old aquarium water seems to be a good choice to clean the rocks. The more mulm the better. After you have leached or neutralized the rock for a while, you can add old aquarium water, and then add plain household ammonia. Once the ammonia has all converted to nitrate, rinse them off with more old aquarium water, and test them again before use. The ammonia does not clean the rock but it does encourage the growth of thigmotrophic bacteria, the good ones we want anyway. They seal off the rock and naturalize it.
Old 10/31/2006, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
also so i make sure i did everything correctly, i mixxed my rocks, formed them, let them sit for 48+ hours, put them im a batch of water. and change the water about everyother day.. do i need a period of them being dry at all ( after the inital 48 hours? )

or just wait till my water tests come back normal?
After the rocks are made, it's important to mist them whenever they begin to dry out, or cover them with plastic to hold in humidity, for one week before cleaning (Kuring) them. If you shorten this step to 48 hours, it's likely the rock will not be fully cured, and lots of needed calcium will be unbonded to the rock, weaking the rock and elevating the pH.
Old 10/31/2006, 08:47 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Zestay, in simple terms, yes. Curing is the act of hardening the rock. Kuring, like Rhodophyta has stated, is just something used in this thread to alleviate confusion since the process of decreasing the pH was also called Curing. So, instead, the act of the rock becoming stronger is Curing and the act of decreasing the pH is called Kuring.

Now, the process of Cured and Uncured live rock is the act of "uncured" rock that has die off and organic decomposition to give the bacterial population a chance to catch up. I have even occassionally heard the act of making base rock/DIY rock into live rock Curing, too. But I normally just call it aquaculturing
Old 10/31/2006, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

This may sound strange, but I’ve actually used this stuff before and it did appear to help a lot and it is cheaper than dirt. It’s called ‘Right Now Bacteria’ made by Hiatt Distributors Limited Products www.hdltd.com

Right Now Bacteria Page:
http://www.hdltd.com/products/p_rightnow.html

My idea was to use this product to ‘help colonize’ the DIY Rock with bacteria. This company does make almost unbelievable claims like “Right Now! Bacteria is a totally different way of addressing the Nitrogen Cycle. Instead of 28 days, following our protocol at 25oC, the Nitrogen Cycle will be established in one day every time”. I don’t know about all that, but it did truly help me with some problems I was having with my system when it was relatively new and I was very new to this hobby. It also helped a few others that I have previously suggested it to.

After reading their site a bit this is my impression: Based on what they say about ‘how it works’ I assume that it would be necessary to use old tank water to bathe your rocks. I would run the water change water through a filter sock to get out any gunk first. The RN Bacteria supposedly requires some ammonia or fish in the rock holding tank in order for the bacteria process to begin. They say that the more surface area for bacterial to grow the better. Well a tub full of DIY Rock sounds like a lot of surface area to me. It’s worth reading into.

They sell carbon for the intended use for maximum bacteria colonization many times used inside of a carbon tube (just a simple tube filled with carbon which water passes through). I don’t think that’s necessary.
Old 10/31/2006, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Zestay, in simple terms, yes. Curing is the act of hardening the rock. Kuring, like Rhodophyta has stated, is just something used in this thread to alleviate confusion since the process of decreasing the pH was also called Curing. So, instead, the act of the rock becoming stronger is Curing and the act of decreasing the pH is called Kuring.

Now, the process of Cured and Uncured live rock is the act of "uncured" rock that has die off and organic decomposition to give the bacterial population a chance to catch up. I have even occassionally heard the act of making base rock/DIY rock into live rock Curing, too. But I normally just call it aquaculturing
How about this:

Queuring: RF conversion of the word for cement hardening.

Kuring: cement leeching out salt and pH.

Curing: rock growing bacteria for aquarium use.

Seriously, I'm ready to get started. My rocks will be the 2:1 mix as discussed, but I'm going to add whole oyster shells rather than crushed oyster. I'm creating an oyster reef and the blennies that I'm going to breed prefer to breed in clumps of oyster shells rather than loose ones laying on the bottom (yes, LOL, there actually was a study confirming this). I'm going to mix shells into the rock and then stick some on the outside to simulate live oysters. I may make a few rocks with mussel shells too. Should be fun. I'll post pics when I'm done. Gotta gather the materials first. The easy part is the stuff from the store, the oyster shells are a bit more difficult but I have some good leads

--Kevin Wilson
Old 10/31/2006, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
ok quick question.

Yes curing = the true hardening of the cement. Keep the concrete misted or covered with plastic for one week before going to the next step. Rushing this will release lots of calcium that should have become part of the chemical structure of the cement, and mean that you have a problem completing the next step.
"kuring" = the cleaning of the cement. One part of cleaning is to neutralize excess alkalinity; the other part is to leach away excess alkalinity.

The cleaning process transforms into "cycling". As the beneficial bacteria colonize the surface of the rock, they seal it up, and any sealed in calcium will have an opportunity to gradually bond chemically with the concrete making it harder and stronger over time.
Old 10/31/2006, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Rhodophyta
How much calcium chloride are you adding to your mix? I tried 200gm of flake mixed into 4 litres of water. I'm not sure if I couldn't have gone a bit more. Are you saying that holding off submerging the rock in water for a week will speed up the neutralizing process?
Old 10/31/2006, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROR
Rhodophyta
(1.) How much calcium chloride are you adding to your mix? I tried 200gm of flake mixed into 4 litres of water. I'm not sure if I couldn't have gone a bit more.

(2.) Are you saying that holding off submerging the rock in water for a week will speed up the neutralizing process?
1. I didn't add the calcium chloride myself. I bought a quick curing mix that already had it in the ingredients. I would follow the instruction on the container if I bought the calcium chloride as a seperate ingredient.

2. Yes. Yes. Yes. I was trying to say it clearly, but during that one week curing period, water molecules combine with the calcium compounds in the portland cement, recreating the molecules that were in the limestone the portland was made from (by having superheated it enough to drive out the H's and O's, releasing water). No amount of heat lower than kiln temperatures is able to drive out the water once it has chemically recombined. it is much harder to dissolve this reverted compound than to dissolve the unrecombined portland. But if you submerge the concrete early, you interfere with this chemical process, and instead of a strong concrete in which the calcium compounds are chemically bonded with water, you greatly increase the amount of alkalinity that has to be neutralized or leached away. I can't think of a perfect analogy, but if you've refinished furniture, it would be like not waiting for the shellac to dry before steel wooling it. Instead of just smoothing off the dry shellac imperfections with the steel wool, you'd gouge out swaths of wet shellac and clog the steel wool instantly.
Old 10/31/2006, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

So just a recap for those who are following the evolution of the ultimate DIY rocks.
1. dry mix consists of cement/ rock salt (or Calcium Chloride)/ acryclic fortifyer
2. after shaping the rocks. Allow them to harden in a moist or humid environment for a week before soaking them in water
3. Once the pH neutralizes (in a couple of weeks) soak them in ammonia and old aquarium water to start the nitrogen cycle.
4. Once the ammonia is converted to nitrite then to nitrate, rince your rocks off and it should be safe to put in the the aquarium.

do I have that right?
i've been waiting for 2 months already for my first batch of rocks to stop raising the pH. this new method seems like it would cut the time in half.

parameters:
78-79F
alk 7dKH
sg 1.026
pH 8.2
phosphate 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
calcium 400
Old 11/01/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

A quick update: I was able to move my rock, and it was quite solid after 24 hours. About 3 times faster than before without the added calcium chloride.

I am using:

3 parts sand
1 part crushed coral
1 part white cement
1 part rock salt
water- 200gm calcium chloride to 4 litres of water