Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2006, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Bluezooaquatics.com has the chaots. They're so pretty...
Old 08/21/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

"Please call for availability on this item prior to ordering as it is seasonally available and may delay your order. You may make a request for this item on our wish list and we will be happy to contact you regarding it’s availability."
Old 08/21/2006, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Oh, nev mind. But they'll pull that bull$hit on anything. I ordered a thornback cow they supposedly had in stock, they sent me a different species (scralwed), and still didn't get it in regardless of the site saying they had (and still do) it. I just got a refund and won't order again...
Old 08/21/2006, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

I've had a Leopard Wrasse for maybe a month and a bit. He was very scared when i put him in and quicky darted down into the sandbed where he stayed for a couple of days. He slowly started coming out but hung out at the tank.

He isnt that shy anymore. My coral beauty is a bit rough at feeding time but the wrasse stays down low. He tries to eat crushed pellets, but his diet (at the moment) is mainly Mysis and pecking at the algae.

I didnt see him much at first, but he got used to the lighting schedule and he is always out of the sandbed before i wake up and usually goes back down when i switch off the main lights at dusk.

They are really cool fish, very relaxed, he likes to inspect EVERYTHING, even my hand if i have to move something in the tank. Leopard Wrasse are very beautiful fish, and so far, Reef Safe.

(Sorry for the poor quality of photos, best i could do at the time)

Old 08/21/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

wow. ive never seen that one before. maybe its the photo but wow
Old 08/21/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Shawnt, most LFS can get any leopards. the choats they cannot.
Yes, I work at a LFS, top sales associate, and Yes we can get the melagris in very often.. try to keep them in stock, so far we have had good luck with them, with only 1 dieing of stress.. and that was several days after we had it....

the one I have came from work, it hid for a week in the sandbed... and then suddenly one day TADA out and about... eatting very well.. she was a keeper, so I bought her QT'd her and here she is today!..

I suppose it depends on the supplier and the method of collection..

I have seen Chaots available a couple of times through one specific wholesaler.... they were fairy high, as expected.

Im looking for a Bipartus... can you keep one with a melagris?

BTW: My achilles tang is wanting to chase... well, pretty much EVERYTHING including my small blackline fang blennys... anyway!
he is wanting to chase my leopard every once and a while.. just a bit... the wrasse runs away and continues hunting... but I am worried that this is going to stress the wrasse out too much?.. what do you think?
Old 08/23/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

i cant wait to get a lepord wrasse
Old 08/23/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Loads of people find leopard wrasses and fall in love with them!.. They are a WONDERFUL BEAUTIFUL REEF SAFE wrasse that just requires good established tank with a ssb and some prey (amphipods) as well as some mysis shrimp and they do great!

Just make sure when you are purchaseing your leopard that you ask to SEE IT EAT before you buy... its much more easy to get one on fat and happy if she/he is willing to eat prepared frozen foods....

and of course, make sure she/he is fat, not skinny and malnourished.

good luck!
Old 08/23/2006, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Well just found out that my order with liveaquaria is nearing "expiration", as they can't find me a leopard wrasse. They said they'll keep it open for one more week, and then if they can't find one it'll be cancelled. This sucks considering they told me last week that they'd ship mine out tonight for tomorrow delivery. Seems like I won't be getting one after all.
Old 08/23/2006, 09:34 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Old 08/25/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09/06/2006, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

well marine center came through. after ordering from them before the fish never even shipped out. but today is different. today ups dropped of a beautiful 2.5-3".....CHOATS WRASSE!!!!!!!!
once i begin to acclimate him i will start tacking pictures. im so excited even though i know my chances are slim in keeping him happy and healthy. my splendid and black leopards are all over the place and out all the time so i hope ill be ok. pods in the fuge, pods in the overflows, pods in the tank. im ok. anyways im soo excited. wish me luck!!!!
Old 09/07/2006, 12:16 AM
Who dat?

Old 09/07/2006, 02:21 AM
Premium Member

best of luck on the choats... my favorite leopard and of course it does the worst in captivity!
Old 09/07/2006, 04:04 PM
The only GreenMako

Here's ours.

300Gal SPS tank
Old 09/08/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

well i did see my choat's today even if for only a little bit. i will post a few pictures of him that i took yesterday this weekend
Old 09/08/2006, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Keep us updated on the choati's progress, achillesheel. I've been very tempted to order one from Marine Center. Did you ask if they could ship with some live sand?
Eat them up, yum!
Old 09/21/2006, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by achillesheel
well i did see my choat's today even if for only a little bit. i will post a few pictures of him that i took yesterday this weekend
achillesheel, how's the choat doing?
Eat them up, yum!
Old 09/21/2006, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Curious if you can keep these in tanks with a DSB? With their tendency to burrow, is it just asking for trouble?
Old 09/21/2006, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

didnt make it. it lasted about a day and a half. i have a couple bad pictures. he was stunning but next time id like to try a smaller one. this one was about 2.5"-3" and i seem to have a little better luck with smaller ones (1"-2"). I will be trying another one someday.
Old 09/21/2006, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by achillesheel
didnt make it. it lasted about a day and a half. i have a couple bad pictures. he was stunning but next time id like to try a smaller one. this one was about 2.5"-3" and i seem to have a little better luck with smaller ones (1"-2"). I will be trying another one someday.
Sorry to hear that. Good for you to at least give one a shot but like others have said, it's seemingly futile with these guys. Sure is tempting, though, every time I get those "in-stock" emails from Marine Center.
Eat them up, yum!
Old 09/25/2006, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I would love to know the sizes of these fish. I've got a M. melagris that is about 2" eating pellet, live, frozen and nori. I'd love to get another so that I can pair them, but am not sure about introducing a new melagris with an established one. This one is still female.

Would others mind posting the species, size and what your fish eats?

Old 09/25/2006, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Here's a pic of my 2" bipartitus.

Been eating like a pig since I got him several months ago but I haven't noticed any growth. According to this article adding an additional one should be fine.
Eat them up, yum!
Old 10/26/2006, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

I just recently purchased a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse from Live Aquaria. After acclimating then it came out right away. My tank is an established 100 gallon reef so I am hoping there is enough natural food for him already. He hasn't taken to Cyclops frozen food but seems pretty happy eating off the rock so far. My only concern is a humungous serpent star which roams this tank. Is the star capable of digging up the wrasse while it is sleeping? There is about 2-3" of sand and the wrasse is only about 2" long.
Old 10/26/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

The star is fine, think about that one... wouldnt a LIVE fish flee from something trying to climb on top of it?

Cyclops are too small for the wrasse, go to your LFS and get some Mysis shrimp, most arrivals eat this within a day!

good luck!