Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2006, 08:34 AM
RC Sponsor

might be patent infringement and it prolly isn't reliable enough to be a massed produced add on kit.
Old 06/29/2006, 11:00 AM
Moved On

More likely though is that this "add-on" would not be profitable enough to justify the development and testing efforts required. Not only that but the cost of new tooling for mass production would be substantial as well.

Who knows though.... Maybe they are working on an add-on for this for all we know.
Old 06/29/2006, 12:43 PM
RC Sponsor

after tooling the parts would cost them like $2 .

they would have to come up with a better stopper that wouldn't harm the prop . sure it wouldn't be that hard.
Old 06/29/2006, 01:04 PM
Moved On

The better stopper would be easy to do given the right tool and material to work with. I imagine a shroud with vanes inside which can be used as prop-stopper as well as flow director. This shroud if made from a more pliable plastic would allow the vanes to give more and won't damage the prop blades.

D.
Old 06/29/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

The stopper shown here http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=18901
works really well without any damage to the prop. Probably would not work with the tube through magnet method currently in favor.

Jon
Old 06/29/2006, 02:03 PM
Moved On

Yeah I saw that. It is a good idea to move the stopper lower so that it doesn't need to hit the propeller to stop. The only thing with that design is that it is a bit too permanent. Once assembled and glued in place, there would be no way to take the magnet/propeller assembly out again for cleaning or repairs.

And you're right it will also not work for the tube in magnet method of doing the mod either, unless one was to add on to the rigid tube to compensate for losing the MJ impeller drive dog.

D.
Old 06/29/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Well I have to say that after reading all this I was almost obligated to do this to my MJ s. I ordered everything from Maxijetmods and it all fit great. No extra drilling only superglue
I am using the Dumas 3004 and a MJ 1200 I did the one tube assembly(break the plastics from magnet). I just wanted a suggestion on where I should place the prop? Will it vibrate if placed to high in the shroud? I have it 1/4inch or less past last vent in shroud. I am getting a little rattling and I am wondering if that is the issue some how?
Old 06/29/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Well I have to say that after reading all this I was almost obligated to do this to my MJ s. I ordered everything from Maxijetmods and it all fit great. No extra drilling only superglue
I am using the Dumas 3004 and a MJ 1200 I did the one tube assembly(break the plastics from magnet). I just wanted a suggestion on where I should place the prop? Will it vibrate if placed to high in the shroud? I have it 1/4inch or less past last vent in shroud. I am getting a little rattling and I am wondering if that is the issue some how?
Old 06/29/2006, 04:09 PM
Lemming

Sorry, I didn't mean to get hasty, but this thing is driving me crazy.
I am using the regular build (with the airline tubing connecting the two parts together). I am using a Maxi Jet 900 with an Octura 1435 prop (from mjmods.com).

Stopper is 1/2 inch long and is positioned an 1/8 inch down. I will have to look to see if the magnet spins around the shaft freely. I bought one of the small pre-cut shrouds from mjmods.com, so I don't know if the prop is pulling to much water or not.

Thanks,
Vishy
Old 06/29/2006, 05:33 PM
Moved On

Hoiw far forward do you have the propeller? Meaning how long is your rigid tube?

Again a picture will tell a thousand words

D.
Old 06/29/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

are most of you using one propeller on the maxijet 900?
Old 06/29/2006, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

So I have a question similar to the above posts. MaxiJet 900, MJMods shroud, end caps, carbon fiber rod and an Octura 1435 prop.

If I look through the slots I can barely see the curved end of the prop in the slot that is farthest away from the MaxiJet body. Is this the correct location?

From the end of the thrust bearing to the end of the prop is 3 1/3"

Flow is OK but not insane. I suspect that if I move the prop forward I will get better results
Old 06/29/2006, 10:41 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazysps

If you want to minimize on vibration and noise try this.
Instead of using the rigid airline all the way through the magnet, cut in half the plastic tube on the MJ's plastic end caps that you broke off. Then use this end cap and inner tube to guide and keep the rod centered so to speak. Then just insert and glue inplace the rigid airline.

Basically this way, the rigid tube only goes through half way into the magnet if that makes any sense.

D.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:45 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by tcottle
So I have a question similar to the above posts. MaxiJet 900, MJMods shroud, end caps, carbon fiber rod and an Octura 1435 prop.

If I look through the slots I can barely see the curved end of the prop in the slot that is farthest away from the MaxiJet body. Is this the correct location?

From the end of the thrust bearing to the end of the prop is 3 1/3"

More likely you have the propeller extended too far forward IMO.
You should move the prop back until the whole thing is exposed to the inlet area but that the last inlet slot does not go too far beyond the end of propeller. That is the sweet spot IME for flow.

D.
Old 06/30/2006, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I must say these things are insane. I orginally put one on the ground in my BB on the orginal 3 suction cup bracket. This thing blew the maxi jet off of the bracket and sent the MJ flying around like a misguided boat. Since I have super glued and it is amazing. I made one with carbon fiber and it is whisper quiet. The one I made with SS maybe I bent the rod or something. I will retry with that orginal end.
Old 06/30/2006, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Instead of using the rigid airline all the way through the magnet, cut in half the plastic tube on the MJ's plastic end caps that you broke off. Then use this end cap and inner tube to guide and keep the rod centered so to speak. Then just insert and glue inplace the rigid airline.

Basically this way, the rigid tube only goes through half way into the magnet if that makes any sense.[/B]
For some reason I totally cannot picture this. Can you explain further? A pic would help if you have one...
Old 06/30/2006, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
You should move the prop back until the whole thing is exposed to the inlet area but that the last inlet slot does not go too far beyond the end of propeller. That is the sweet spot IME for flow.

D.
Would a prop positioned this way cause flow to be directed out the last one or two 'inlet slots'?
Old 06/30/2006, 09:51 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon770
For some reason I totally cannot picture this. Can you explain further? A pic would help if you have one...

this is the cap tube he is talking about.

Old 06/30/2006, 11:57 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by TA
Would a prop positioned this way cause flow to be directed out the last one or two 'inlet slots'?

No it will not IME. Infact you would be getting the best possible flow like this. If your prop is completely covered and not exposed to the inlet area, it will have a much harder time spinning as it would take much more force to suck in the water through the inlet area behind it.

D.
Old 06/30/2006, 12:03 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon770
No I don't have a photo of this and can't really take one since I am in the process of packing the house for my big move

But Snarkys posted pics that should help. If you have the broken off end cap from the MJ you would know precisely what I'm talking about. There is an inner tube that connects both end caps on the stock MJ magnet (the top end being where the impeller drive dog is). When you break the drive dog, the whole thing will slip out with the inner tube still intact and connected to the bottom end cap. Now just cut that tube down to half its size and glue the entire thing back inside the magnet.

Hopefully that made it clearer for you.

D.
Old 06/30/2006, 02:01 PM
Lemming

My rigid tubing is probably the problem. I was going over the instructions again from mjmods.com and saw that it said to have the prop a 1/2" from the stopper. I think my prop was more like 3/4" from the stopper. I will be getting some new props to work with, and will let you guys know if that was my problem.

Thanks,
Vishboy
Old 06/30/2006, 07:48 PM
RC Sponsor

really, if you try everything and dont know what it is , take it apart and try again : )

id try the new impeller build next time.
Old 07/01/2006, 03:59 PM
Crazy Is As Crazy Does...

Anyone using any sort of wave maker/timer on this mod MJ?
I just ordered a "Natural Wave" off ebay, new for $36 total. Was planning on using it to create a tank I can teach my cat to surf in...

lol...
Old 07/01/2006, 04:25 PM
RC Sponsor

look at page two
Old 07/01/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I am using something similar on 2 MJ 1200's. It cycles every 2 minutes. Seems to be working pretty well.