Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2006, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Greetings Hiroyuki,

Thanks for creating and posting the table I had requested. I had hoped you would have experience with P. bellae. Do you have any pictures at all? Can you make this one of the early species that you discuss. Thanks in advance.

~Steve~
Old 04/23/2006, 11:46 AM
Fish Addict

8 line flasher---never flashes though....
Old 04/23/2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Paracheilinus bellae Randall, 1988
Bell's Flasher Wrasse
It ranges the Marshalls (type locality; Kwajalein), Palau and Iriomote Island (the Ryukyus, Japan). Probably more wide spread.
It can reach 10cm including the long filaments of caudal fin.
The yellow area on the caudal fin is characteristic, and more than ten narrow lines and numerous fine dots on side.
I have never seen it alive. So I show here a shot of holotype from Kwajalein photographed by John E. Randall.

Old 04/23/2006, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

The photo is used in various books and shown as P. bellae but I do not believe. It was taken by Hiroshi Nagano in Palau, and is 75mm.
The male is differing from P. bellae in having several stripes, and no yellow area on caudal fin, etc. It would represent an undescribed species, but no specimen is available.

I need more shots of P. bellae and similar species from the northern Pacific, and could any reader kindly provide me with photos ?

Old 04/23/2006, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for your picture, moonpod.
It is still a young specimen and I think that yours can not display. I believe that it will grow to adult stage and then it would do.
Old 04/23/2006, 04:37 PM
Fish Addict

Interesting....it's already pretty big for a flasher wrasse....
Old 04/23/2006, 05:03 PM
Old Man

Hmm this one is very similar to the one I posted the top has more yellow and blue in the dorsal but otherwise very similar.

and the one I bought recently

I will see if I can get a clearer picture but my camera hates my lights.
Old 04/23/2006, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Hiroyuki,
If I am lucky, I have a possibility of acquiring P. bellae in middle May. If so, I will be happy to provide images. If am not lucky then, there is still a possibility in later May. I will keep you advised.
Thanks for providing the information out of sequence.

~Steve~
Old 04/23/2006, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

moonpod,
How long is it ? The fin coloration seems transparent, but as you say, if it is over 7-8cm long it can flash. The reason for non-display seems that there is no other "males" of Paracheilinus or environment of your tank. I always turn off all the light in the room but that of the tank, and you may see it flash in the evening to night.

scchase,
Yes, yours is very similar but the dorsal-fin color is differing a bit. It also has a purplish body like P. cyaneus. Anyway keep me informed and get more pics to show here, please.

snorvich,
Thank you for your future pics, and I will greatly look forward to seeing them.
Old 04/23/2006, 06:00 PM
Fish Addict

Dr Tanaka, it's about 7cm. The fins are not transparent. I have a couple other flashers in there but I dunno male/female. I have a bunch of fairy wrasses in there and definitely a couple of males. However I see virtually no aggression between the wrasses.....
Old 04/23/2006, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

moonpod,
Thanks for info of your fish and tank. It is very hard to make them form a harem in a tank even if a group was captured in their natural habitat, and they will behave individually.
Your Paracheilinus octotaenia (Eight-line) would become a larger one soon and I hope it to flash someday. However, most of them will not excite when they are kept for some period, and it means that they settle down. I will add larger new specimens of other species or same one and then I expect that the old male would excite or even flash. Another way to see it flash is to change your tank circumstance totally or pick it up and move to another smaller tank, and add new specimens of the genus.
Old 04/23/2006, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

The third species, Paracheilinus carpenteri Randall & Lubbock, 1981.
Distribution; Western Pacific, southern Japan (Izu Islands~), Taiwan, Philippines, Palau, and one sighting in Bali.
It reaches 85mm.
It is greatly similar to P. mccskeri but has two to four filaments on dorsal fin, and often a blackish area on caudal fin. Inappropriately called "Pink Flasher" and it is applied to many hybrids and other species until now. It is often available from the Philippines.

The same specimen (8cm male) in normal coloration (upper) and displaying (lower). You may see how it changes.
Old 04/24/2006, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

The similar but valid species, P. flavianalis, 7cm, male.
It is known from Indonesia (sulawesi, Bali~Flores) and Western Australia.
It gains its size of 8.5cm
Males have an totally yellow anal fin, and then it is called The Yellowfin Flasher, and also one to four filament(s) on dorsal fin.
It is closely allied to P. carpenteri and P. mccoskeri that have a red area on anal fin.
One of the very popular species regularly available at shops.

Old 04/24/2006, 04:59 AM
Premium Member

It is a 80mm-male from Indonesia, displaying.
Note the second (but short) filament on D fin. In Bali they tend to have three or four filaments there, but males from Western Australia and Flores with a single one.

Old 04/24/2006, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

not meaning to change the subject, but is there a definitive way the dr. or anyone else has for that matter on how to mix these wonderous fish with themselves and or the faries with minimum aggresion?
Old 04/24/2006, 03:39 PM
Moved On

Hiroyuki,

here's a pic of my very first Flasher... please help me verify if this is a McCosker's or a Carpenter's... he's about 1" big right now...

Thanks
Marvin
Old 04/24/2006, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Thank you Dr. Tanaka! Awsome stuff.
Old 04/24/2006, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Marvin,
It seems to me carpenteri, but I am not so sure; if it has two or more filaments on D-fin it is surely carpenteri, but if it is a single it is mccoskeri. Where did it come from ?
Old 04/25/2006, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Next one shows Paracheilinus octotaenia, Eight-line Flasher Wrasse. It is said to reach 9cm but this one measures nearly 12cm, that made an ichthyologist in Hawaii astonish.
It ranges the Red Sea only and has a football-like shape without any filament.
Usually fins are orange but when males excite median fins turn red, and stripes on side become blue like this.
It is somewhat aggresive toward other fishes when it is quite large but in most cases it does not give serious injury.

Old 04/25/2006, 08:40 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
Marvin,
It seems to me carpenteri, but I am not so sure; if it has two or more filaments on D-fin it is surely carpenteri, but if it is a single it is mccoskeri. Where did it come from ?
Thanks for the reply.. I'll find out where my LFS gets their fishes... so far, it only has 1 filament so I'll wait it out til he gets bigger..

Marvin
Old 04/25/2006, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Marvin,
If yours has a single one it is not carpenteri but mccoskeri; keep observing how it grows.
It is a young male, 5cm of P. carpenteri with shorter filaments on D-fin.

Old 04/26/2006, 01:53 AM
Premium Member

Paracheilinus octotaenia, male, 12cm almost non-exciting but with bluish lines on side. It is the same specimen with the first photo shown above. Fins are not so intensely red.

Old 04/26/2006, 03:16 AM
Premium Member

It is a male just in display, 9cm.

Old 04/26/2006, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

mine when in acclimation:
Old 04/26/2006, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

fishfanv,
It seems a large male of P. flavianalis deeply colored. I hope you to see its displaying coloration soon.
This is a 5cm long young male of the species with a single filament. Shipped from Bali so often.