Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Cool

I seriously need to move to the coast when I graduate...the only thing I can collect from is Lake Michigan
Old 06/18/2006, 11:24 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I caught a hi-hat last week in stuart florida.. I love those fish.

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 06/19/2006, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fish Finder

A pic of one batch of seahorse fry

[/B]
you have some great collection of fish you got ... anyways how cute that batch of seahorses can be.... amazing really beutiful
Old 06/19/2006, 10:39 AM
Keeper of Tangs

i have a highhat also and have a a file fish i caught for over a year.
Old 06/19/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

There is a chance that after college I will end up in southwest Florida, Ft Myers area. Anyone catching anything in this area? Also say I went out and spent the $800 to get scuba certified and got all the necessary equipment. What process would I need to go through to sell collected fish to people online or local stores? What equipment are you guys using?

What quarenteen process do you guys put your collected fish through, do you treat them with anything?
Old 06/19/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

talk to the local fish and wildlife office to see about a permit to sell collected animals. From what I have heard it is pretty hard to get.
Old 06/20/2006, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

a few questions for you NY guys!

What depth is everyone collecting from?
Has anyone seen or collected any angels up in NY?
and of course..........

How many of you have seen or collected any of those east coast lion fish?

-B
Old 06/20/2006, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowtruck75
There is a chance that after college I will end up in southwest Florida, Ft Myers area. Anyone catching anything in this area? Also say I went out and spent the $800 to get scuba certified and got all the necessary equipment. What process would I need to go through to sell collected fish to people online or local stores? What equipment are you guys using?

What quarenteen process do you guys put your collected fish through, do you treat them with anything?
I will type a response to your question tonight when i have more time since there is a lot of info to cover.
Old 06/20/2006, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Armson
a few questions for you NY guys!

What depth is everyone collecting from?
Has anyone seen or collected any angels up in NY?
and of course..........

How many of you have seen or collected any of those east coast lion fish?

-B
In the 5 year's ive been collecting i have caught at least one angel per year. very very rare though up here. And as for the lionfish. I only ever caught two which was last season. So maby this year i will get more. I only free dive so i dont do more then 30FT dept.
Old 06/20/2006, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Great post folks. Keep those pictures coming. Fishfinder I would love to see a pic of those angels
Old 06/20/2006, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I am looking for information on everyone's methods and procedures for collection as well. I am wondering if anyone does any collecting from deeper waters (75+)

What is vis usually like off the coast of NY?
Old 06/20/2006, 06:20 PM
Moved On

Can someone tell me how to net catch fish???
Old 06/20/2006, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfishh
Great post folks. Keep those pictures coming. Fishfinder I would love to see a pic of those angels
If i catch any this year i will make sure to take a pic for everyone to see.
Old 06/20/2006, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Great to hear that your interested in collecting fish and going the right way on doing it. Basicaly to sell to anyone first you will have to make a store name and regester it to get a tax id number. Second you have to get permit's from the state your from (fish and game). You will need a system that is capible of holding a large amount of fish.

My QT process is very easy and effective. Once the fish is collected it is placed into my 250G QT system that has copper in it. The fish only stay in there for no more then 48 hours. Then they are moved to my 1600G QT system where i watch for dezises and get them eating frozen (most collectors don't keep the fish till there eating frozen. I do because i beleave in offering the best to the wholesaler's so they come back). The 1600G QT system is the last stage till they are shiped out usuly i keep the fish for 1-2 weeks (untill there eating and healthy).

The equipment i use is very simple. When collecting in the shalows i just use sine net's i perfer using a 30' or a 50'. When free style diveing i will use gill net's and even the green net's that everyone has in there house that you use on your tank's. There surprisly quite effective.
Old 06/21/2006, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

Fish Finder
Could you post some pictures of your QT setups? What process did you go through when first starting and were finding buyers?
Old 06/21/2006, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

nice catch
Old 06/21/2006, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Fish Finder
Could you post some pictures of your QT setups? What process did you go through when first starting and were finding buyers?
I second this request
Old 06/21/2006, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

here is a pic of the first stage QT system 250G's.

I have it in the basement so i don't have to wery about it going anywhere.

For everyone the process is different. For me i am well known around long island in store's and wholesalers. I have been doing this hobby for some time now. Once i started with my collecting for the first year i was giveing a lot i mean a lot of stuff away to store's and wholesalers. There for they could see how well my fish are and when they sell out they will come back for more. I have been successfull in doing it this way. But rember what work's for one person won't work for anouther.

Here is a little goodie. Would you ever think something this nice would be swimming around the inlit???????

Old 06/21/2006, 01:01 PM
Keeper of Tangs

nice setup fish finder
Old 06/21/2006, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Fish Finder
How do you go about figuring out pricing for fish that you sell to stores and wholesalers? Sorry for all the questions but this seems like a great way to possibly make a small living from this great holiday.
Old 06/21/2006, 09:41 PM
A. Millepora

nice set-up...every fall our club does a trip on the south shore and get a few of those lookdowns and butterflies that are your QT tanks........
Old 06/21/2006, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Fish Finder
How do you go about figuring out pricing for fish that you sell to stores and wholesalers? Sorry for all the questions but this seems like a great way to possibly make a small living from this great holiday.
Prices are based on demand and avalibility. I only sell to wholesalers and no one else (i don't like to deal with the BS from everyone with wholesalers you just sell them the fish and that's it). For you to get a idea on how the marking work's. I sell a fish for $5 to the wholesaler. As you see i don't make a lot of money on my end but then again take that number and time's it by 50-100 fish at $5 per order. you will see how it add's up.
Old 06/21/2006, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKE NY
nice set-up...every fall our club does a trip on the south shore and get a few of those lookdowns and butterflies that are your QT tanks........
Yes I have been told that your group dose a trip every year. I believe your group go’s to shincock inlet. Right??
Old 06/21/2006, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Hey Paul B we have to get togeather some time and go collecting. we will do it the easy way with the sine net's heheheheee. If you would like to get togeather and go collecting just let me know.
Old 06/21/2006, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Fishfinder thanks for the pics. Your setup looks awesome