Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/26/2006, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

I am in amityville. We may have met at old oak beach inn i spend a lot of time there during the summer fishing and going for easy picking's of tropical fish. When do you plain to start collecting again. If it stays worm i may start off in june but if it's going to be norm temp then in july il start.
Old 03/27/2006, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ManEatingGuppy
hmm, pretty interesting. were do u go to collect fish at hawaii? can u take the fish back home or it just stays in hawaii?
You can collect fish anywhere so long as the area you are collecting in doesn't have any restriction i.e. Hanauma Bay. If you get the free permit the animals are for personal use only. If you get the commercial permit you may sell and export fish and inverts. I lived on the windward side of Oahu so I normally found myself anywhere between Kaneohe Bay to Cockroach Bay collecting things from intertidal areas down to about 20-30 feet since I was free diving (i've been deeper but only while spearfishing). Fringes of fish ponds are excellent places to catch juveniles specimens btw. I used to also have a great spot to catch squirrelfish (which I used for my senior year research project.) saron shrimp, lionfish, and coral banded shrimp using no more than a light and dip net at night. Its a lot of fun catching your own livestock but a big responsibility to limit yourself. It was also nice to catch some of these things literally in your backyard as releasing them back into the wild could be an option for those stubborn fish that wouldn't eat and would have wasted away in my tank.
Old 03/27/2006, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SerranidTerror
I call BS on catching a flame angel off Oahu unless you work for coral fish hawaii. I dove out there for 5 years and never saw a single one. Coral Fish Hawaii has a honey hole or two for those but they also dive nitrox so I know they are pulling those flames from real deep around there. Just my two cents.
I thought you were just bad at finding fish, until you posted that you only collected in the intertidal. Just because you haven't seen something in your limited experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Flame angels are rare on Oahu, but there are spots where you can find them pretty reliably.

It also appears you don't know much about nitrox...
Old 03/27/2006, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ManEatingGuppy
hmm, pretty interesting. were do u go to collect fish at hawaii? can u take the fish back home or it just stays in hawaii?
Since I live here, I've never had to take fish off the island. I know people who have carried fish on the plane with them, though - apparently it's not difficult.

I catch most of my fish scuba diving at various spots around Oahu. Usually between 40 and 150 feet deep, but sometimes deeper. Catching fish on scuba can be very difficult and requires a lot of practice! If you're a beginner the easiest way is to look in tidepools or shallow reef areas at night. You can find some really cool stuff in tidepools - even dragon morays if you're lucky (true story, but not mine sadly).
Old 03/27/2006, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

I catch some of my own out of the Gulf of Mexico

pompano, blue tang, french angel, different types of damsels, butterfly's, red and gag groupers, seahorses.....lots of different fish
Old 03/27/2006, 05:02 AM
30 year and over club

Fish finder. It depends on when they put my boat in the water.
I haven't been to the Oak Beach Inn in a few years because I am usually in the Sound. Of course in the Sound collecting is limited to inverts and just a few fish. Do you do any SCUBA diving out there? Or is all your collecting near the beach?
Paul
Old 03/27/2006, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Paul B. I do both free style diveing and on shore net collecting. I was sick for some time and had to get a hip replacement about 2 year's ago so ive been recovering ever since. Ive been cleared to do scuba about a month ago so im very happy. Ive been pestering my doc about it for some time now since i realy want to learn what i consider the next stage. Do you know any places that i should go to learn?
Old 03/27/2006, 04:22 PM
30 year and over club

Fish Finder, since I was certified many years ago, all the places that I went to are out of business. The only place I know left is near Fortunoffs on Old Country Road. I think it's SCUBA Depot or something like that. I also think Danny's Dive Shop is still in business in Baldwin.
I have a scene net ans enough dive equipment for three divers which I am sure we won't need.
Paul
Old 03/27/2006, 07:38 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fish Finder
thank you Paul if you wish to come along with me when i go collecting on the beach reef's you can come along. On a good day you can catch about 30 lookdowns in about a hour. where i go is a known place but i go farther down where no one go's and i have ok from ppl that live there. Of corse i can't give out the location or else everyone on here from long island will go there. Where on LI are you?

This pic is from a midnight trip i went on we got them all in slack tide 40 min window. (note to all these fish are in qt in this pic they were all moved to a big 700G display tank once the qt was over in a week)
Lets see the display tank!
Old 03/27/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Lets see the display tank!
I second that
Old 03/28/2006, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
Fish Finder, since I was certified many years ago, all the places that I went to are out of business. The only place I know left is near Fortunoffs on Old Country Road. I think it's SCUBA Depot or something like that. I also think Danny's Dive Shop is still in business in Baldwin.
I have a scene net ans enough dive equipment for three divers which I am sure we won't need.
Paul

Sweet il be looking around with in the next few weeks. Do you know how long ball park it take's to get certified?
Old 03/28/2006, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfishh
I second that

I wish i could but the guy live's out of state and ive since lost contact with him but don't you werry by the end of the summer i will deff have pic's of a whole bunch of them in a 500G tank that ive been requested to fill with lookdown's
Old 03/28/2006, 05:04 AM
30 year and over club

Fish finder, it is totally different now from when I got certified. It is a lot shorter now because they want you to keep going for different courses. When I went I had to learn everything. I would imagine it is about 4 weeks now a couple of nights a week but I am not sure. Of course you can get certified in a few days in the Caribbean.
Paul
Old 03/28/2006, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

yea i know that down there it's super fast. Once i compleat this i will be officaly a all around collector and i am also going to be starting my mac certification once i start collecting this summer
Old 03/29/2006, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Stykthyn do you have any pictures of the fish you have collected?
Old 03/29/2006, 05:11 AM
30 year and over club

Whats a mac certification?
Old 03/29/2006, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Marine Aquarium Council certification

http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/subpage.asp?section=13
Old 04/13/2006, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGBMatt
I thought you were just bad at finding fish, until you posted that you only collected in the intertidal. Just because you haven't seen something in your limited experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist....

It also appears you don't know much about nitrox...
Jeez Louise man. I dont know much about nitrox either, thats just rubbing salt in my wounds. I hope I can pass my nitrox test one day, then I can dive sooooo deep and catch a giant squid! Chee Doggie! $1,000,000 divers price!
Old 04/13/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Stykthyn do you have any pictures of the fish you have collected?
nothing recent, but the water is starting to warm up, so I will be collecting soon. I will get some pics in the near future
Old 04/14/2006, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

the idea of having a fish that you collected must be very very rewarding
Old 04/14/2006, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

you know it, specially when most of them stand out just as well as most of the tropicals ou would find at the pet store.
Old 04/15/2006, 12:11 AM
Grouch Potato

PaulB and FishFinder, I am in Montauk and want to join you this summer. I am certified (rescue) also.

Out here we collect everything, Stripers, Blues, Fluke,Sea BAss, Cod, Wolffish, triggers, blackfish. Sea PErch, Sea Robins, Tuna, SHark, Wahoo, Marlin

I am hoping to come across someone ditching a large tank (400g+) soon so as to start a local species tank in my garage. I have some lobstermen friends and they get all kinds of neat stuff in the traps. Have never dove locally though. Need to start!
Old 04/15/2006, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Hey, I collect stuff too. Hey Justin, I want to collect with you also. Maybe I can drive my 19ft boat from Hawaii to NY.
Old 04/15/2006, 01:08 AM
Grouch Potato

Ummm, forget it. I am coming to hang w/ you in Hawaii. Stay a month or so if you don't mind.
Old 04/15/2006, 05:43 AM
30 year and over club

I can drive my 24' boat to Hawaii and meet you half way.
Jnfallon, I am in Montauk all the time, but stripped bass don't fit in my reef.
I have over 200 dives in local NY water but none in Montauk.
I plan to be living on the north fork in two years.
Paul