Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2006, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Hi Michael (64Ivy),

Attilla is an amazing looking fish - I'm sure due in no small part to the conditions you're providing. I also checked out your website - absolutely fantastic! A great read and amazing photography! Nice work!

Lee
Old 03/18/2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

64IVY is getting some play on this thread ! LOL How about some more photos of tanks with different mixes of Tangs !! Where are the Tang police when you need them anyway ?
Old 03/18/2006, 06:22 PM
Moved On

heres a pic of my first tang, i just put him in wednseday its and atlantic blue about the size of a softball
Old 03/19/2006, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Nice looking Tang. I love the look of Atlantic Blue Tangs. Very common fish when snorkelling in the Caribbean but gorgeous nonetheless. In the wild they congregate in schools. Anyone have luck with this in a home aquarium ???
Old 03/19/2006, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

some pics of mine......

Old 03/19/2006, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

My first picture!
Old 03/22/2006, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Speaking of Atlantic Blues....

Strange that I am finding all these threads with Atlantic Blues in them. Anyway, I love the fish too and think they are very underrated. The 2 in those pictures I caught when they were less than an inch and yellow. Come to think of it, I may have the pictures.. hold on...

Found the pictures:

There they were the day I caught them. Very small and yellow. Unfortunatly 1 of them didn't make it (he was killed by the other 2 about 2 months ago). But the 2 I have left are doing great and seem to get along without too much bickering. Anyway, nice fish, more people should keep them (provided they have a big enough tank).
Old 03/22/2006, 02:27 PM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Yellow, Purple, Black, Tomini, and Powder Blue/Whitecheek hybrid amongst others during feeding time...

Copps

Hey is the Tomini as dark as it looks in the pics? Do you have any other pics?
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 03/22/2006, 02:32 PM
Coral Killer

Fredo, SpongeBob, and Violet

Fredo is the PBT, he was the nicest one I"ve ever seen. Stuck float valve took him out last month.

Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 03/22/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Of all the massive tanks on RC, where are all the Tang gurus ?? Let's make this the largest thread ever on the reef fish forum !!!
Old 03/22/2006, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

The Atlantic blues are sweet looking.
Old 03/22/2006, 03:59 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
Hey is the Tomini as dark as it looks in the pics? Do you have any other pics?
The tomini is that color... when healthy and settled in good water quality they are this color usually... when stressed, unhealthy, or in systems where they're not too comfortable (like many LFS tanks) they are much lighter... sort of like yellow tangs... unfortunately many of the photos of this rare fish are taken under these conditions and so many people are surprised at it's beauty when they see it in my tank... during a move in late 2004 I nearly lost him and while he was sick his color was much lighter... this is an excellent alternative for those wanting a Ctenochaetus bristletooth without having to settle for a kole (while the chevron is also nice, their color goes to near black at maturity)... Incidentally, for those looking for one, liveaquaria has them in stock here.

Here are a few more pics... I don't have many close up except for the first, but I searched and found a couple where he's in the corner... The last is him in my old system two years ago where you could see him in the corner...

PS- For those interested in Atlantic blues they are cheapest and in stock at etropicals here.

Finally one I found with all five of the above listed tangs shown huddled in the bottom... I also have a scopas, jewel, half-black mimic and eiblii mimic in other tanks...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 03/22/2006, 04:36 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy

My 13" vlamingi

Beautiful vlamingi! Here's a pic I took diving in Micronesia where entertainment was provided during safety stops by vlamingis feeding on chicken wings (shown in the center) thrown from the boat ... Put that in your cubes Ocean Nutrition

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 03/22/2006, 04:45 PM
angelfish nut!

These are not mine, but worthy of a tang thread...

An aberrant Ctenochaetus sp.

A white Zebrasoma flavescens...

The holy grail... Zebrasoma gemmatum...

And last but not least, a full grown orange shoulder I shot in Hawaii... these guys are a site to behold and beautiful when full grown...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 03/22/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

tang_man_montreal, I have never been interested in the desjardini until you posted that pic. really gorgeous. The ones I've seen at LFS never have good coloration like that. Are they pretty peaceful?
Old 03/22/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

LauraCline,
Yes, I love my Desjardini. He actually changes colors as well when stressed or displaying. He can go all white except for the yellow stripes. Truly amazing to see. I've never been lucky enough to have the camera around when he does it.

As with any Zebrasoma, he can be a little aggressive... but not as aggressive as a Purple tang though.
Old 03/22/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

That full grown orange shoulder reminds me of an Orca :P
-10g. Reef
Old 03/23/2006, 12:31 AM
I done killed it

about 6 or 7 years old. 6"-7"

Old 03/23/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Copps - Your tanks are gorgeous. What size is the tank with the Regal, all the tangs, MI, etc. ??? That is what I envision having some day.

Zfunk007 - I spent some time reading the MI thread today and I was very impressed with your banter. LOL Does your shop ship out to customers ?? I live in Maine and the local shops all carry the same stuff and there are way too many leather corals and boring fish to mention. I am primarily looking for a good source of fish when I upgrade.
Old 03/23/2006, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Beautiful vlamingi! Here's a pic I took diving in Micronesia where entertainment was provided during safety stops by vlamingis feeding on chicken wings (shown in the center) thrown from the boat ... Put that in your cubes Ocean Nutrition
Does the Vlamingi grow a horn at all?
Old 03/23/2006, 01:16 PM
angelfish nut!

No... just a hump...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 03/23/2006, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
No... just a hump...

Would a tank raised one ever look anything like that? And if so, how long would it take?
Old 03/23/2006, 01:27 PM
angelfish nut!

A topic in itself... refer here... so as not to jack the tang pic topic...

Jackrent... my display is a 180 with total volume of system over 400 gallons... upgrading display soon...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 03/23/2006, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

copps and hdtvguy great tanks and tangs. copps how long have you had that idol in your tank? Looks great man. Tangs are the coolest fish ever.
Old 03/23/2006, 02:13 PM
angelfish nut!

The idol's been yanked after he started EATING an A. prostrata colony I have... not picking... attacking with gusto... I had him for quite a while before that started happening... It was and is a healthy colony and was not being eaten after it already was going downhill, which is common with certain angels in sps tanks...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus