Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/17/2006, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

I am so excited! Today is the first day that i saw my little regal eating spectrum pellets!!!!!! Got him last saturday so it's been 6 days now. Anyways got a lil photohappy. Enjoy!
Old 02/17/2006, 04:25 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Cool! Nice pics too. I guess spectrum gets an other notch on their belt.
Old 02/17/2006, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

So a 60 gallon is fit for a regal and a powder blue now? Im not criticizing you of doing something wrong b/c u might be planning a bigger tank or something but i was told earlier that a regal was to big for my 58. i see you have a 240 gal. sump also so that could make a difference and you also probably have more expereince. Anyways how wide is your tank. I think the fish is pretty sweet and understand that they take a lot of care. im just curious. btw the tank looks cool.
Old 02/17/2006, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

haha, yeah i thought i might get flamed for that. I already ordered my 225 and it's set to come here at the end of the month.

they're in a 24"x24" box. The powder blue is about 3.5" and the regal is even smaller. As you can see, they are about as long as my mystery wrasse.

The 240 sump has over a 100lbs of lr for the high bio load.
Old 02/17/2006, 08:57 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

No aggression between the PBT and the RA in that small of a tank?
Old 02/17/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Ah, it all makes since now! Sounds pretty wicked. Sorry bout that.
Old 02/17/2006, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

i put them in at the same time. I learned that when you put in fish at the same time there is less aggression.

Later i'm planning on 2 more tangs(purple, and maybe my old yellow) but then they'll both be bigger than the powder blue and i'll put both in at the same time to disperse aggression.
Old 02/17/2006, 09:19 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Quote:
Originally posted by john37

Later i'm planning on 2 more tangs(purple, and maybe my old yellow) but then they'll both be bigger than the powder blue and i'll put both in at the same time to disperse aggression.
In the new 225 right?
Old 02/17/2006, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

yes, yes. Dont worry....it's all under control. This is a regal angel thread, so i;m going to stay on topic.

The regal doesn't eat all the spectrum i put in the tank, but at least he's eating some. I'm also going to try the frozen cyclopeeze and see if he/she likes it better. Also my two new sunbursts need something other than mysis.
Old 02/17/2006, 09:31 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Was'nt your eating a little mysids? If so you can try to soak the pellets and mysids together. Have you tried the clam or mussle deal?
Old 02/24/2006, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

My regal is with me about 4 months. I think my regal is a girl. Anyone here can help me to confirm it? she eats everything that I put into the tank.

[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...64166_6645.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02/24/2006, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

I think sexin regals is not an very studied matter, but for wath we have been talking here look like a girl to me. Primary for the short gill spine.

Regards
Old 02/25/2006, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I took a clam and served it in an open shell. Mine took to it quickly. Ate the whole thing. For the finicky Regals give it a try.
Old 02/25/2006, 07:06 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Live or frozen clam?
Old 02/27/2006, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

It was a frozen clam. I've been feeding one clam every three days. He finishes it clean. I leave the other two days so he might be hungry enough to try other foods.

So far he eats frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis, frozen Angel formula from Ocean Nutrition, and formula 2 flake.

He has also finished off all my zoanthid covered rocks. I think I am going to grow zoanthids in my frag tank from now on to give him a treat every once in a while.

Mine is the yellow bottom Red Sea type.
Old 03/02/2006, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

I've read almost this entire thead (save a few pages) can someone tell me directly what the expert care involvig Regals is (maybe a list)? I understad that they are delicate and can be difficult to get eatting, what else deems them expert fish? I just want to gauge how close I am now that I have a couple years under my belt.
In most places in the country, voting is looked upon as a right and a duty, but in Chicago it's a sport. In Chicago not only your vote counts, but all kinds of other votes--kids, dead folks, and so on.
-Dick Gregory
Old 03/02/2006, 12:12 PM
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by bthomas
I've read almost this entire thead (save a few pages) can someone tell me directly what the expert care involvig Regals is (maybe a list)? I understad that they are delicate and can be difficult to get eatting, what else deems them expert fish? I just want to gauge how close I am now that I have a couple years under my belt.
Well I'm certainly no expert, having acquired my very first Regal about a month ago but it seems to me that the most important factor is getting a healthy fish to begin with. Make sure it looks good, behaves 'normally (a little research will tell you what 'normally' is), and that you SEE it eating before you bring it home. After that, it doesn't seem like they're much more difficult than any other angel.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Bthomas

You seem to have the answer already. They are extremely delicate and they dont like to eat. They are just so sensitive. Dont let a few success stories(those who post all the time) with their freak regals fool you into thinking that regals are easy. I got lucky with my first regal and then learned with my second that they are very tough.

The only chance of keeping a regal for a extended period of time is to start with a plump healthy specimen which is so difficult to obtain. The are just inherently skittish and sensitive fish.

64 ivy
I have to disagree. They are much more difficult to care for than a average angel even if you pick a good specimen. If you look through this thread there are countless regals (red sea and indo-pacs) that just drop dead after what appears to be healthy few months or a year. They dont survive any small mistakes by hobbists expert or otherwise as many other fishes would.

If you read wetwebmedia and countless textbooks, it categorizes regal as "doomed" species for a reason.

There is a reason why only one person has a regal that lived past 5 year mark who happens to be the guy that helped you pick the regal if I remember correctly.

Henry
Old 03/02/2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

There is probably not that much you can do in the first instance, apart from choosing the right fish. Early success seems to be very much dependent on the fish itself with the three main factors being; was it healthy to start with, will it decide to eat and will it be intimidated into not eating and generally giving up on living, by it's tank mates?

If you successfully get past these issues then diet may well be the critical factor at keeping it long term. An inadequate quality (note not talking about quantity) diet may gradually weaken the fish and make it more susceptible to disease and parasites.

My first regal attempt, over 6 years ago, lasted about 4 days. It was never given a chance by it’s tank mates. My current Regal has been very successful BUT my importer, who I have known for a long time and trust totally, thought it was the healthiest and most active regal he had ever seen (in the business over 20 years) and had selected it personally when he saw it in a holding tank in Singapore.

I don’t think it is a freak, I just think that it is as good as they get and I was very lucky to ask the right question, during the right phone call, at the right time. Even though it has got over the first hurdles well, I am still very concerned to give it an excellent diet and have put more effort into getting and making the right food for it than ever before.

Steve
Old 03/02/2006, 04:13 PM
Reefer

I have to agree with what has been said so far. But I consider stress just as important as a fish that is eating. In my opinion you'll stand a lot better chance of success if the regal is the top fish in the tank. They just don't handle the stress of being around more rambunctious fish, at least in the beginning. I've had mine for eleven months, and it's still somewhat skittish. If I approach the tank to quickly it will dive for cover.
Old 03/02/2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Served a mussel open faced today. Regal went right at it. Even got a little aggresive towards the six line wrasse. I think he was saying, "it's all mine." I really am a believer in the open faced shell fish. Clams, Mussels. The amount of energy that my Regal spends to eat it, tells me he likes them more than flake or brine shrimp.
Old 03/02/2006, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Unfortunately mine has decided after 9 days of living peacefully, it likes the taste of Crocea clam mantles. I thought I'd try adding a Crocea since the Regal never bothered my Maxima clam. So I tried diverting his attention to a zoo covered rock. Well all the zoos were eaten in no time at all (about 30 zoos) and then the clam was back on the menu.

So the clam is now under glass where the Regal can't bother it. Looks like I'll have to sell the clam after the bite marks grow out Oh well, I tried and the Regal got a zoo treat out of the ordeal.
Old 03/02/2006, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HOZERTHEBONEFISH
Bthomas

There is a reason why only one person has a regal that lived past 5 year mark who happens to be the guy that helped you pick the regal if I remember correctly.

Henry
Here's where I'll disagree with you. I had a Regal Angel for 10 years that died in 2005. I have another one that's going on 5 years in captivity. I also know of others in captivity for extended periods of time. While I agree that they're sensitive and not as sturdy as some other genera of angelfish, they are far from "doomed." Now I should add that I'm referring to the Red Sea/Indian Ocean variant. The Indo-Pacific Regal Angel IS virtually doomed in captivity; although I've heard of a few "exceptions."

Greg
Old 03/02/2006, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

BTW, it's been my experience that the Indo-Pacific variant of the Regal Angel is more likely to pick at corals and clams compared to Red Sea/Indian Ocean specimens. I think this has something to do with their natural dietary preferences and may be a contributing factor into why they're more difficult to keep in captivity.
Old 03/02/2006, 07:15 PM
B'rer Reefer

I guess when I said once the fish is eating and behaving normally, they don't seem much more difficult than any other angel, I should have specified the Red Sea variant. And while I also understand the Regal in general is a lot more sensitive to human error or outright neglect than other angels, I've seen too many that seem to be surviving under basic care to be considered anomalies. Maybe not 5 years (yet), but 5 years ago, I wouldn't have taken one home for free because I was under the misconception that NONE of these fish would live long no matter what we did. Hopefully, as we continue to learn from our shared experiences, it won't be long before the five year mark is common.