Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/11/2005, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Talking I'm so excited over my new Spotted Mandarin!!!!

I am VERY pleased to announce that I found a very healthy and gorgeous Spotted Mandarin that was eating MYSIS!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to have this little girl in my tank. She has the most inquisitive bright orange eyes This morning I soaked some mysis in some Kent's garlic extreme and watched as she chased down a few pieces and ate them!!!!! I only purchased her yesterday and she already appears at home in my tank. She has a little cave that she slept in last night and all morning she has been cruising around the tank looking for pods and exploring. I've always wanted a Dragonett but could never find one that was eating frozen. I am really excited about her which is kind of evident by my post, but I just wanted to share my good news!
Old 09/11/2005, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

That's great you found a healthy one! Good luck with her .
Old 09/11/2005, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Got pics?
Old 09/11/2005, 02:10 PM
Go Sooners!

Congrats! I know how you feel. We just brought home a mandarin yesterday as well. Very fat and healthy. Started picking off rocks as soon as he went in. They're cool little fish.
Old 09/11/2005, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I got a pic of her while she was acclimating and a few this morning. I will try and load them onto my comp and then I will post them. She is so cute (her name is Bella)
Old 09/11/2005, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of her. It's a pretty bad pic and top down, but it's the best of the bad pics

Old 09/11/2005, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Oh and BTW I thought my Clarkii Clown might pick on the Spotted Dragonette, but it was the contrary. The Clarkii is actually being protective of her and really seems to like her. It's really cute.
Old 09/11/2005, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Nice.
Old 09/11/2005, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

great news!!
Old 09/11/2005, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

That mandarin's a FATTY! Nice score

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 09/12/2005, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the nice words!! This morning I fed the tank, but noticed she only takes mysis if it falls on the sand so I turned off the powerheads and put about 10 mysis in her area and one by one she found them and ate them. She'll be rolly polly if she eats like this everyday She's deffinately a juvenile though because today I noticed how small she still is. She's about an 1.75" long but a chub.

My Clarkii acted strangely towards her today... The Mandarin made her way across the tank into "clarkii cave" I thought the Clarkii would clobber her, but all the Clarkii did was swim next to her and kick up some sand and then did the clownfish dance to get her attention... It was hilarious. I think my Clarkii found a new best friend. That's the beginning of another good day with my Mandarin lol
Old 09/12/2005, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

They are great fish. I had one for over 2 years. then one day it was gone- never to be seen again.. I would keep feeding it mysis. THis will help keep the natural pod population higher as well as re-enforce the particular eating behavior of being fed.
Old 09/12/2005, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

When I put my first mandarin into the tank a few days ago, my female Ocellaris tried to tail whip it a couple of times. Lol, freaked me out because that was the last thing on my mind back when I was planning how to set up the tank to include a mandarin. Things have settled down though, and they both seem to ignore each other now, although the mandarin is never afraid to get right up in the clown's face, despite the early hostilities.

Anyone ever had an experience similar to this before? I mean, I could understand a Maroon acting like that, but I thought the Percs and Ocellaris were supposed to be the most laid back clowns. I added a firefish before the Mandarin and he swims right between the female Ocellaris and her mate, and never even got so much as a nip.
Old 09/13/2005, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

I have a question regarding food for my Mandarin. What else can I try to feed her besides mysis? What other foods have people gotten their Mandarins to eat??? Also how much is enough for a Mandarin?? She gets maybe a combined total of 8 pieces of mysis per meal (I feed once per day)

She loves mysis and I make sure she gets her fair share. It's so difficult to feed her because she is such a slow eater and eats the mysis off of the sand. I have to turn all of the pumps off... and I also have to fend my shrimp and other fish away from her area so she can get enough. It's worth it though and I really enjoy watching her eat. she still looks so healthy and fat.
Old 09/13/2005, 07:49 PM
Girl Geek

Great to hear your good news! Here's an interesting article that would be perfect for you: http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html.