Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2005, 03:03 PM
Huh?

Some general guidelines for phytoplankton?

Okay I have many times heard of what products that are on the market that people can use. But there are a lot of things that I definately had a hard time finding and some things are still unanswered. So I thought I would try to start a more definitive post for those out there that culture their own food.

As many of you know there are many types of phytoplankton. That I know of as useful for clams Nanno. seems to be a favorite for growing as it is hardy and very durable. That I have read Isochrysis is often used as a better food for the cell wall is much softer and more digestible. The problem is that it is much more difficult to culture, because it is rather sensitive. What I would like to know in this section is: 1) Which is a better phytoplankton to culture (whether it is listed or not) that best satiates the diet of the Clams? 2) Does the pattern of feeding differ based on the type of phytoplankton?

The other much more difficult section in this topic is dealing with the amount to feed. What I would like mentioned would be a general rule of thumb, though vage it is still better than no guidelines at all. For instance of much phytoplankton would you feed (To both clams and other phytoplankton eating being) on a lightly loaded tank, a medium loaded tank, and a heavily loaded tank. Though all of our perspectives on this is going to be different.. again a general rule of thumb is being achieved, nothing too specific.

Now let's mention about what times is it considered best to feed these clams of ours? I was led to believe that feeding them at night was best, but I have read some readings that say otherwise. What is considered the best time(s) to feed the home-brew phytoplankton?

What techniques do you culturers use when raising these phytoplanktons? Do you simply use a stiff rob that air is pumped through, or are you more gentler on the phytoplankton due to sensitivity? After cutting the phytoplankton do you stick it in the fridge, wait some time and then dain the top layer of water, then shake... giving you double your concetration?

What light periods do you employ, and with what lights? Do you tend to cut more often then the expected 7 days? What temperature do you try to keep the cultures in?

Okay I think thats all I got...
Old 06/16/2005, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Just started culturing myself, here's my setup; stick the 2L bottles by the window, 1.020 SG, put in fertilizer, room temperature, run a hard rod for aeration. When ready (6-9 days), put 1/2 in new bottle add fresh made water, add fertilizer, repeat.

When I first started, my culture crashed after a few cultures. I think it may be attributed to re-using the same bottle as culture. So now, I am trying new bottles after every few harvests to see if that helps.

I started with one type but now just started 3 other types. We'll see if I have success or the patience for it.
Old 06/16/2005, 02:57 PM
Huh?

yeah keeping the same bottle for culturing will crash it because of bacteria consuming the fertilizer.

What three types of cultures are you brewing and what are you using them for specifically?
Old 06/16/2005, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Started with Nanochloropsus, just added Nannochloris, Tetraselmis and Isocrysis as well. In general, just to feed a variety to the tank.
Old 06/16/2005, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Here is what i have been doing with 100% success so far. Three batches...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=594796

I clean everything in between batches with "one step" santinzer.. www.northernbrewer.com

And use a micron bacteria filter for the air pump--- cheap, www.northernbrewer.com (midwest based) or www.morebeer.com (california based)

The way i do it is sanitary enough to ferment beer and has convenient spigot to pour out phyto...
Old 06/16/2005, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Drewpy, nice thread and thanks for the link, I'll be getting the 1-Step and the micron filters.
Old 06/16/2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

botp2k1,
FYI you will need to use some snug sized tubing to convert the micron filter down to air line hose size (it's a little larger)... You can see what i did in one of the pictures... easy

And the one step requires no rinsing-- works like hydrogen peroxide and leaves nothing behind... Use warm water though to get it to dissolve better
Old 06/16/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Electrobes,

I would ask some of your questions directly to clams direct and/or Anthony Calfo... I would be interested in the answers as well
Old 06/16/2005, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I see, looks like you used 3/16 to ridgid tubing to 1/4, correct?
Old 06/16/2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I have that tubing around for a while and honestly don't know the size.... Bring the filter into home depot with you with a piece of airline tubing-- thats is where i bought everything a while back... Won't take you but a minute to get something that works and is nice and snug.
Old 06/16/2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

If you need to clean the filter ever, you can put it in a cup of water and microwave it for a minute (boiling)... wouldn't go too much longer (plastic)... However they make one that is more expensive that can withstand autoclaving...IMO not necessary, the cheaper takes short boiling with no problems..

I just sanitize the end of tubing that goes into the phyto (basically anything that touches phyto sanitize), that is sufficient. (you will never have a sterile environment but you can very substantially reduce bacteria infections)
Old 06/19/2005, 12:02 PM
Huh?

Thank you guys for responding, I kinda gave up after a while in this thread... just now started checking it out again since I started my own website. Drewpsy I really like the way you have it set up, especially the micron air filter!

I have been brewing the ghetto way.. just an air pump, a container and thats about it. The culture is in my porch with a temp probably around 82-84 degrees.. which basically translates into harvesting a bit faster than usual. I used to use Miracle-grow but then got pressured into using the Micro Algae grow by Florida Aqua Farms. The stuff works well, but as now I am back into culturing phyto, and see that others are using it I think I will just forget spending the 9 bucks or so and just go to Home Depot and pick some up. Its nice too because I can start my culture today