Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2005, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Juv. Cirrhilabrus joanallenae
Old 02/05/2005, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Bronco,

Do you have any pictures of a yellow flange fairy wrasse and a red margin fairy wrasse? Also do you have pictures of a male and female solor fairy wrasse they dont have to be together in the same picture just so i can see what a male looks like to a female.
Old 02/06/2005, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Chris,

If you look through the begining of this thread you'll see a pic of a male red-margin. I also invite you to see my photo gallery
Old 02/06/2005, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Is that a male solor in your gallery also i only saw a pink margin fairy wrasse no a red margin fairy wrasse.
Old 02/08/2005, 05:20 PM
Art and science

know what this one is
Old 02/08/2005, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Carson Lee
Looks like a Solar fairy Wrasse-Cirrhilabrus solorensis
Old 02/08/2005, 09:21 PM
Art and science

thanks tstone
Old 02/09/2005, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

I love these fish. except I just lost my $70.00 scotts to jumping. I have halides and use eggcrate. went right thru the egg crate. glass tops will either crack due to the heat or keep the tank so hot my chiller probably wont be able to handle it. they are gorgeous fish but thier jumping is a major issue
Old 02/09/2005, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bronco7777
Chris,

If you look through the begining of this thread you'll see a pic of a male red-margin. I also invite you to see my photo gallery
Chris

I love these fish. what do you have covering your tank to keep them from jumping? I lost a gorgeous scotts to the carpet
Old 02/09/2005, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

My canopy then. This mesh im not extactly sure what is called but it covers the holes that are in the back.
Old 02/11/2005, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Chris 777,

I think your confusing the Pink Margin Fairy with a Red Margin......actually that I know of there is no such thing as a Red Margin.

The Pink Margin is a Cirrhilabrus Rubrimarginatus and it's common name is a Pink Margin fairy. I would imagine that some dealers will call it a Red-Margin because the fish has a red trim strip on the tip of it's tail. But the true name is Pink - Margin and that's the fish that is pictured in my gallery and should also be listed at the begining of this thread.

The solar fairy male has a turqouise-blue body with a red and yellow head. A dead give away of the male besides the turqouise body is the black trim shading around the gill cover. However, this species of fairy is a VERY VERY close cousin to the aurantidorsalis (Orange-Back fairy) and the leutovittatus (Goldbar or Yellow-band fairy). It's thought that there may even be some inter-breeding going on and that is why Solar fairy males are highly variable in color.....even for the males. For example, males from the Flores and Banda seas take on a dark red-orange-purple body instead of the turqouise blue that is most commonly seen in the trade.

In any case the females tend to look the following way: The head is a dark cranberry-purple-magenta and that color fades into a yellow back half of the body. Alot of times some LFS will label females as Ruby head fairy or Purple Parrot Fairy wrasses.......when in all likelyhood it's a female solar.

Chris I'd like to suggest that you purchase Rudie Kuiter's book on Rainbow and Fairy wrasses and you'll get all the pictures you want that will break each fairy down by male and female and juvenile.
The pictures in that book will portray the fish better than I can describe it here.
Old 02/11/2005, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Chris 777,

I think your confusing the Pink Margin Fairy with a Red Margin......actually that I know of there is no such thing as a Red Margin.

The Pink Margin is a Cirrhilabrus Rubrimarginatus and it's common name is a Pink Margin fairy. I would imagine that some dealers will call it a Red-Margin because the fish has a red trim strip on the tip of it's tail. But the true name is Pink - Margin and that's the fish that is pictured in my gallery and should also be listed at the begining of this thread.

The solar fairy male has a turqouise-blue body with a red and yellow head. A dead give away of the male besides the turqouise body is the black trim shading around the gill cover. However, this species of fairy is a VERY VERY close cousin to the aurantidorsalis (Orange-Back fairy) and the leutovittatus (Goldbar or Yellow-band fairy). It's thought that there may even be some inter-breeding going on and that is why Solar fairy males are highly variable in color.....even for the males. For example, males from the Flores and Banda seas take on a dark red-orange-purple body instead of the turqouise blue that is most commonly seen in the trade.

In any case the females tend to look the following way: The head is a dark cranberry-purple-magenta and that color fades into a yellow back half of the body. Alot of times some LFS will label females as Ruby head fairy or Purple Parrot Fairy wrasses.......when in all likelyhood it's a female solar.

Chris I'd like to suggest that you purchase Rudie Kuiter's book on Rainbow and Fairy wrasses and you'll get all the pictures you want that will break each fairy down by male and female and juvenile.
The pictures in that book will portray the fish better than I can describe it here.
Old 02/11/2005, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

bronco7777
I really want to thank you for all the information and assistance you provide.I have searched on line and have been unable to locate this particular book.Do you have a source?
Old 02/11/2005, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot bronco for the info. I plan on getting the book just havent had a chance to get it as only one place has it that is some what close to me so i havent had a chance to get out there. Now i see what my problem is with my 2 solors not liking each other. As far as the pink margin fairy mine looks far different i dont know if mine is a juv or maybe a female but i will have to get that book sometime soon here and thanks again for the info.
Old 02/12/2005, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Rothie,

It's been a while since I was in the market searching for that book so I'm not quite sure where to find it these days. I'll take a look around.

I'm sure that Amazon.com and other simialr sites can also find you some pricing. Go to google and search under Rudie Kuiter Fairy Wrasses.

I'm sure you'll find some links.

If I come across something I'll post it on this thread
Old 02/12/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Here ya go guys.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...2004+2024+2035
Old 02/12/2005, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Only one of my lfs's carry the book which is is about a hour a way and i havent had a chance to get out there to get it.
Old 02/12/2005, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

tstone
Thanks for the link.I see it is new.That is probably why I couldn't find it on Google search last month.None of the on-line book dealers had it.
Old 02/12/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I just did another search and came up with a lot of sources.I probably couldn't spell last month!
Old 02/12/2005, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Rothie I am learnign to splel also.
Old 02/13/2005, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's how my LFS sold them here's a pic of mine before he was killed by my Hippo

BTW great thread Bronco I've always admired your collection thanx for sharing

Old 02/13/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

cheeks69 sorry to hear about your wrasse my Red Sea Sailfin killed my Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus). I only had him for 1 day but it was the most beautiful fish I have ever had.
Bronco thank you for all of this wonderful information I will get another fairy wrasse but not until the Sailfin has been booted from my tank to our larger tank and maybe the other tangs can pick on him the big bully i am still a little ****ed at my once favorite fish. I never thought a tang would have a problem with a fairy wrasse totally different bodies and colors. We had planned on adding some leopard wrasses to our 220g tank but we have a sixline in it and I have been searching for info and keep getting conflicting reports. I have been told it should be fine if we add them at the same time or majorly rearrange the rockwork but from what you posted we should just forget any fairy or flasher wrasse with a sixline which I would believe you more considering your extensive list of wrasses you have and direct experiences. So again thank you for sharing your knowledge it really is very helpful. My next tank will be at least a 180g and I plan to have peaceful fish that I can have multiples of each in it living together so the fairy wrasses would be perfect I was wondering about purple firefish or zebra dart gobies would they be compatible? I have read some say flasher wrasses would harass the gobies any thoughts on this?
Thank you!
Old 02/13/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Cheeks,

Sorry to hear about your Pink Margin. He was a great looking fish.
Thanks for the encouragement on the thread. I just like promoting these fish.

Mercedes,

In my experience Sixlines are just so pugnacious that I would not try sending a fairy or flasher in with one of those guys. I know that some hobbyists have reported being able to keep some sixlines with fairies but that IMO is not the norm but the exception............kinda like those people that buy a dwarf angel for a reef tank and it works out, the fish doesn't pick on the corals. However, those experiences are few and far apart.

As far as the gobies and the firefish go, you should have no problem with a flasher or a fairy. The fairy wrasse will not pick fights with either of these fish. The one thing to keep in mind is that firefish are pretty nervous fish...and maybe the constant swimming back and forth from multiple fairies just might make him a little more likely to jump.
Other than that, I think you should be fine.
Old 02/13/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the fast reply I know you are busy what you say about the sixline is what i figured. The one we have now is fairly mellow and leaves the firefish and dart gobies alone but they had been in the tank 2 years when the sixline was added so that may have made a difference. Does your eightline wrasses cause any problems? Do they eat flatworms also like the sixline does? Sorry for all the questions it is just nice to talk to someone who has these fish.
Old 02/13/2005, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Do you mean the eightline from the sixline family or the eightline from the flasher family?

If your asking about the eighline flasher I have him in a separate tank with a helfrich firefish and a orchid dottyback. He does not cause any troubles and I have not seen him eat flatworms. Pretty much he'll try and hunt pods but he's pretty used to my feeding schedule. No problems at all with that guy.