Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/10/2003, 03:20 AM
I'm Not Creative

awesome man, just along to learn what I can!

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 12/10/2003, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

UHHHH UHHHHHHH UHH <--- Speechless WOW man great job! Are you not going to use any protectant on the inside? I polyurathaned mine but it set me back 1-2 days waiting for it to cure and dry. Keep it up!

Travis
Old 12/10/2003, 10:24 AM
Was "platapus"

Thanks

Im basically pre-fabing everything while I wait for the tank, I wanted to get the water dynamics worked out in the garage because of the 45 gallon surge.

Im going to do a rough sand, paint, and polycrylic the inside....

I will do this when I break everything down, wrap the stand in MDF, build the canopy, throw on a high gloss black paintjob, and seal it....then I can move everything inside for the final assembly. The location were this tank is going currently has my 100 gallon reef . . . Im actually going to move everything to rubbermaid tubs in the guest room this weekend. The stand on the 100 gallon, is made of laminated partical board, and over the years because of all the flooding on that tank, it has actually swelled, 2 nights ago I notice the entire bottom of the stand has cracked and buckled up...yikes!
Old 12/12/2003, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Just curious, how much room is there on either side of the 180 in the stand? Is there enough room for it to "swell" or bow when full of water and not contact the sides as it seems pretty tight.
Old 12/12/2003, 11:03 AM
Was "platapus"

doh!

-lol ....god I hope so!

Yes - That tank was actually build already bowed in the center ( at the ends tank measures 24" wide exactly, in the center, it is 24 3/8", I dont know if this was a mistake or not? )

Second, that tank is somewhat old, with out water in it, it is natually pot bellyed <---is that a word?)

I divided that tank with a 3/8 acrylic, which seems to keep it from bowing out a little less.

And the space it is in is 25 1/2" wide, so there is just enough room!
Old 12/13/2003, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Looks awesome!!!! Tagging on to monitor this ones progress.

The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert..........
Old 12/15/2003, 11:46 PM
Was "platapus"

12/15/03: Break Down Existing 100 Gallon Tank - Last night I started on breaking down the 100 gallon tank, it has been up for 3 years. I setup my LR and what is left of my corals in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank along with 4 x 20 gallon tubs in our guest room.

Last edited by Foster; 12/16/2003 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12/15/2003, 11:57 PM
29 Gallon Reefer

Can't wait to see how it turns out..
Old 12/16/2003, 02:04 AM
I'm Not Creative

in that last pic, what is the bucket fro? (the one that is sitting on top of the cooler?

Old 12/16/2003, 04:05 AM
Member Registered

Whats up Henry. What ever happened to the lights you ripped me off on. They still don't work and I still don't have my money.
Old 12/16/2003, 11:04 AM
Was "platapus"

Quote:
Originally posted by gumbybc
in that last pic, what is the bucket fro? (the one that is sitting on top of the cooler?
I think your asking what is it for? It is almost full of LS - I used it as a fuge with no light, but will be using the sand in my new 67 gallon fuge, so I just hooked it up intacked with pump and all. All of the other buckets are weither full of LS or LR, one of them has rogue crabs I have been trying to get ride of!

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G Blenny
Whats up Henry. What ever happened to the lights you ripped me off on. They still don't work and I still don't have my money.
uh oh! Is this a post for vendor experience? Is someone not playing nice?
Old 12/16/2003, 11:47 AM
I'm Not Creative

yeah, that is what I was asking, sorry i forgot to put that part in. Everything is looking awesome, excited to see the rest of it!

Old 12/16/2003, 11:52 AM
Was "platapus"

me too - The tank has been delayed an additional week ( that seems to be the norm for ordering tanks), so hopefully I get it in 2 more weeks!
Old 12/16/2003, 10:06 PM
Was "platapus"

12/16/03 - AutoTop Off unit is Complete: I have finished wiring the auto top off unit which consist of 2 float switches, a 120v solenoid, and latching relay. The solenoid controls the on/off valve on the water inlet that goes to the RO/DI unit. This tank will evaporate 6-10 gallons a week I would rather not have to constitaly keep up with the evepoaration manually. It worked the first time! This was a design by H20ENG on ReefCentral.

Here are some pics:

#69585K45 relay, DPDT, 12vdc coil, $7.26
#7122K22 matching socket for relay, $5.35
mcmaster.com

Polypropylene solenoid- Part 7877K53, for $18.12 each

Floats are out for testing....

Panel
Old 12/17/2003, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Awsome ! Enjoyed your site too.
Old 12/18/2003, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Top notch quality all around!
Old 12/22/2003, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

well done so far.. i do like seeing a setup where so much attention has been focused on the little things that make it easy to maintain later on
Old 12/28/2003, 03:33 AM
Registered Member

This project looks awesome, any updates?
Old 12/28/2003, 04:22 AM
Flea Slide

Interested in a canopy design??

Old 12/28/2003, 02:30 PM
Was "platapus"

At this point, Im just wainting for the tank which has been delayed in production a couple of weeks. I have been doing little things on the stand to keep me busy. Once I get the tank, I can finish the plumbing and start on the surge tank! I have also been working on the kalkwasser, which I will post some pics of this week.

I will be building a custom canopy designed around the plumbing, and designed to attach to the side cabinet...thanks though!
Old 12/29/2003, 07:24 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I stopped by and checked out Platapus' setup last week. The thing is huge!
Nothing like doing it right the first time!
Cant wait for more info!
Chris

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 01/06/2004, 11:37 PM
Was "platapus"

Sorry for the delay!

UPDATE:

01/06/04 - Limewater Reactor: Progress is slow, tank still has not arrived. While waiting, I went ahead and built the limewater reactor, this will get installed in the lower cabinet, the RO/DI will feed the reactor, which will then overflow into the tank as part of the auto top off system. The pump on the bottom will be on a timer that will run for about 1 minute every 6 hours to help mix the kalkwasser. The chamber is made of 6"OD x 20" acrylic tube, with a MAG 2 pump installed at the bottom. Here a a couple pic of me testing for leaks. The down tube for the inlet will be extended to the bottom of the chamber...

Im pretty much done with the sump, here is pic of the float switch brackets I just installed. They constcist of 2 - 1.5" acrylic tube taped with a 1/4" nylon thumb screw.

Old 01/07/2004, 02:25 AM
Ozone Sniffer

Lookin good, Dude!
You may want to put in a bypass line from the ro/di feeding the reactor. With the float setup having the ro on for longer periods, you may overdose the kalk.
You could set it up with a couple of small valves. Restrict each one to set a good flow rate for the reactor and still feed the sump straight DI water for topoff. It may be easier to just feed the reactor separately though.
Sorry to hear of your delay. At least you were somewhat prepared for the wait.
Chris
PS, Thanks again for the sand!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 01/07/2004, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

Your sump

You might want to take all your 90Dg elbows an use 2 45's instead. I ran in to a flow problem with 180G. once i put in 45's it made the water fall into my sump almost twice as fast.
Old 01/07/2004, 08:14 AM
Troll

You mentioned a flat top overflow box. I had one of those one time and found that snails would go over the top, get in the plumbing, restrict the water flow, and cause a tank overflow. I use overflows with teeth/slots now. The snails won't climb out of the water to go over the top.