Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/07/2008, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Anthias wont eat

My anthias wont eat. I have had them for about 2 weeks and i havent seen them eat.I have tried mysis, live brine and prime reef. Whenever i feed they just go hide in the rocks like they are afraid of the feeding activity of the other fish which are 2 true clowns and a loubbox(sp?) wrasse. At times when food is in the tank they get excited and look like they are going to eat but just go back in the rocks. They swim around normally, however they are still a little skiddish. They look healthy, no signs of disease or sickness. Any suggestions on how to get them to eat.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

have you tried live fooda .lot of times anthias need live food first to get them to feed. what kind of anthias are they?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:58 AM
Our man in the East

I always get new anthias started on finely grated frozen. Can you let us know what type of Anthias they are.

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 01/07/2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:01 AM
Moved On

I believe he said he has tried LIVE BRINE. Anyways, have you tried soaking some mysis in garlic? Anything that could drive that hunger out of them.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Try frozen cyclopeez. I got some small (2") ones that would eat nothing but this stuff for their first few weeks.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

They are bartlett anthias. I have two females. Forgot to mention that i also have a royal garmma. No I havent tried the garlic, i assume that i just defrost some mysis with some chuncks of garlic in it, let it marinade a little bit and take the garlic out and feed it. If that is the case and it checks out as ok i will try that. I will try the cyclopez first, see how that goes and resort to the garlic if i have to. If there are any more suggestions i am open to anything. Thanks
Old 01/07/2008, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Try to place ur food infront of the powerhead or wavemaker. Let the current push the foods so that they are moving.

Personally i think anthias perfer fast moving food particle.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I generally use a turkey baster and squirt the food infront of one of the powerheads. Even if i dont i have so much current that any food in the tank is getting moved around at a pretty good rate.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I tried the garlic, no results. Now now of them is going to die, it is in the back of the tank, wedged between a rock and the glass on the bottom breathing really hard. I origanaly bought a trio, 2 females and 1 male and the male did that just before he died. Any thoughts on why they are all dying? I have not had any problems with other fish, except the goby that i just bought and he was fine for a few days then found him sucked up inside a tunze that somehow started running in reverse. He was fine sifting sand,and swimming around at night then in the morning he was dead. What is up with my fish all the others are fine eating, no disease h20 pram are great, and i do weekly water changes(sometimes i skip a week, life happens). *** is up with my fish?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

I have had sucess with anthias (lyretail, disbar, squareback) but never bartletts for some reason. Try soaking food in zoa...that is what I have had luck with...Good Luck
Old 01/08/2008, 01:57 AM
Moved On

There something wrong when it doesnt even respond to garlic. Thing is, bartletts arent picky eaters at all. I've found they are of better fishes when it comes to eating. Were they quarantined before entering the tank? Is something stressing them possibly?