Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/10/2008, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I think I will try this in areas as I imagine you have to watch your PH as you are destroying mass populations of pest fauna....
Old 01/10/2008, 05:24 PM
TRC Leader

You better have all your pumps off to avoid it landing on other stuff.

If it is thick, I don't see how it would help with the hair algae.

This is Maiden's Hair, btw. It grows straight up, from a single base. When you reach in to pluck it, it comes out in a group going down to a single point (like a hair folicle, I guess for lack of a better description)
Old 01/10/2008, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

The blades are not straight like that, I wonder if its just regular hair algea. I notice it on my overflows. Anyway I wish my tang would just eat it, maybe I will move the rock lower so the tang can get to it easier.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:51 PM
TRC Leader

If it was easy, it wouldn't be called nuisance algae.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Good point Melev.

Does it feel coarse like steel wool or slimy? If it is slimy and waves in the current that is hair algae.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cannarella
Good point Melev.

Does it feel coarse like steel wool or slimy? If it is slimy and waves in the current that is hair algae.
Its slimy, when I pull it its like goo.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
If it was easy, it wouldn't be called nuisance algae.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

That would be green hair. Check phosphates.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That would be green hair. Check phosphates.
Just curious wouldnt my tang eat that? I will go get some phosphate media for my phosban reactor, I have just been running carbon in it.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Well I hit some of the aptasia (why is it that aptasia knows when you work on the tank and hides?) and some of the areas of the hair algae. pH remained unchanged, the tang is a little upset most likely because I had to take apart some of the rockwork. I am going to do a phosphate test and run some phosphate media in my reactor as this stuff is not growing all that fast but its not going away. We will see how everything looks in the morning but things look happy right now. Hopefully the tang will forgive me for re-arranging some of the rock. I am probably going to pick up another phosban reactor so I can run both carbon and phosban at the same time on the new system. They are cheap and I have a second pump to drive it. I will be happy if this kills off some of the aptasia and hair algea, but so far it looks pretty safe. I only used 5ml of the solution (so only 1/2 a TBS of seachem kalk), I didnt see it on the reef calculator so not sure how much impact that will have on an 80G system.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

If you can go without lights for a couple days that can help also.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Don't know. Mine chowed down on it when I got him.

If you can go without lights for a couple days that can help also. Algae needs light to grow. So a combination of recuded phosphates, reduced light, and trimming will take care of it.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Don't know. Mine chowed down on it when I got him.

If you can go without lights for a couple days that can help also. Algae needs light to grow. So a combination of recuded phosphates, reduced light, and trimming will take care of it.
Is trimming better than pulling?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

By trimming I mean pulling. The bad part about both is that little fragments will escape into the water column and possibly reattach somewhere else. So getting those phosphates down is the key. Have a small bucket of water available to dip your hand into so the algae will come off. That way you are not shaking your hand to get it off and it goes everywhere.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Thanks I will try that, do you know if anyone has had sucess with the 3 days of darkness and SPS corals? Just curious if thats even an option for my tank.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Think of it as being cloudy for 3 days. I will let someone with more experience chime in. Melev?
Old 01/11/2008, 01:50 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
Thanks I will try that, do you know if anyone has had sucess with the 3 days of darkness and SPS corals? Just curious if thats even an option for my tank.
I did it in my tank, and lost a couple of frags to it. But it might have been something else unrelated to the lights out period. All my cyano went away.

Don't expect darkness to make Derbasia (hair algae) go away. Pluck, and rinse. Pluck, and rinse. Pluck, and rinse. Do it until you can't stand it no more. Stop. Do it again tomorrow. Keep at it daily. Once you've done the brunt of the job, put 5 huge Mexican Turbo snails in your tank, fresh from the LFS. They'll be starved and rarin' to go. If you can't get the huge ones, get a bunch (10 to 25) Astreas. Put them on the areas covered with algae. Every time you see them elsewhere, put them where you want them working. They work for you, after all.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Pluck, and rinse. Pluck, and rinse. Pluck, and rinse. Do it until you can't stand it no more. Stop. Do it again tomorrow. Keep at it daily. Once you've done the brunt of the job, put 5 huge Mexican Turbo snails in your tank, fresh from the LFS. They'll be starved and rarin' to go. If you can't get the huge ones, get a bunch (10 to 25) Astreas. Put them on the areas covered with algae. Every time you see them elsewhere, put them where you want them working. They work for you, after all.
That's the part I have been missing............the big turbo snails! Brilliant!!!

I have been plucking and rinsing for weeks and I am past the point where I can't stand it anymore. It just grows back.

Turbo snails to the rescue!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I did it in my tank, and lost a couple of frags to it. But it might have been something else unrelated to the lights out period. All my cyano went away.

Don't expect darkness to make Derbasia (hair algae) go away. Pluck, and rinse. Pluck, and rinse. Pluck, and rinse. Do it until you can't stand it no more. Stop. Do it again tomorrow. Keep at it daily. Once you've done the brunt of the job, put 5 huge Mexican Turbo snails in your tank, fresh from the LFS. They'll be starved and rarin' to go. If you can't get the huge ones, get a bunch (10 to 25) Astreas. Put them on the areas covered with algae. Every time you see them elsewhere, put them where you want them working. They work for you, after all.
Hmm and I just removed al my large turbo snails as they were moving corals around and now I have hair algae. I guess I just need stronger glue!

I am not sure I am going to use the kalk napalm again, it hasnt been very effective and the process seems to have stressed out my yellow tang. Maybe I over reacted to my new hair algae problem.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

phosphates tested at 0ppm, nitrates are at .5ppm I am assuming this is all due to me removing he turbo snails. I will go get some smaller ones at the lfs, maybe I can trade them big ones for small ones.