Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/02/2008, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

With greatest sympathy

Just got this sad email.

Colleagues:

It is with profound sadness that I inform you of the untimely and sudden passing away of XXXXXX, the younger daughter of XXXXXXXXXX. XXXXXXX and her family was in France when this terrible incident happened. XXXXXXX, who is 12 years old, and her 6-year old cousin were taking a shower when they both were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from a water heater in the shower room. The best efforts of paramedics could not save them.
We mourn the loss of XXXXXX and share the pain of XXXXXXX, her husband XXXXXXXX and their elder daughter XXXXXX. During this difficult time we, colleagues in the XXXXXX family, can provide support and strength to XXXXX and her family to face this tragedy. We will let you know what is the best way to reach out and help the family.

Regards

Folks, if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, please get one.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:44 PM
Crap Under User Name

I'm sorry, but no. They would have gotten sick first. First you get a terrible headache, followed quickly by nausea. Then you pass out, then you die. The CO levels would have had to have been so high to kill anyone in the span it takes to take a shower, even a long one, that the burner on the heater would have been starved for oxygen.

Do you know the sender or the family involved? Can you post a link to any news stories? This would have made national news here rather quickly and your post is the first and only thing I've seen about it anywhere. I typically do not buy these sad e-mail stories, but they usually try to hit you up for money towards the end, so I don't know.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.