Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 07:50 PM
I am a super nose picker

Old 12/30/2007, 07:51 PM
I am a super nose picker

Old 12/30/2007, 07:51 PM
I am a super nose picker

Old 12/30/2007, 07:52 PM
I am a super nose picker

Old 12/30/2007, 07:53 PM
I am a super nose picker

another FTS halides are off(both pics) so its not as bright
Old 12/30/2007, 08:02 PM

looks pretty bright to me.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:04 PM
I am a super nose picker

Thats just the T5 lights.They are pretty bright but with the halides on its brighter.I am happy with the lights I ordered better quality bulbs because I know the ones I have are cheap.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
looks pretty bright to me.
I was going to say "Shame the owners not", but thought better not

I take it there's an older pic in there, considering the Bi-colour. Also I've heard the firefish are jumpers, so do you have your tank covered in any way? Fish look really good, a good turn around in fortunes.

FTS looks good, your islands would make good spots for some sps and lps. It's going to look good with some corals in it.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:25 PM
I am a super nose picker

I got another bicolor this one is much smaller than the first.I also got 2 fire fish and 2 cleaner shrimp when LFS had a sale for boxing day.The fire fish are pretty calm.They tend to stay down near the bottom of the tank.This angel is very nice and active.He spends all day picking on the rocks.Its very strange sometimes how much of a hit or miss it is with fish.My second clownfish diapered.I don't know what happened to it.The other one is doing great.I can't understand why such an easy fish to keep died on me.I know the tank is running fine and no more soap incidents.I cleaned the skimmer and did a 40 gal water change.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:27 PM
I am a super nose picker

So you are saying that I am stupid!!This coming from a drunken Aussie HMM.Now I am insulted
Old 12/30/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Ahhh, Picked up another nice one then. Yeah clownfish are funny bugga's. Apparently their easy to overfeed which causes their stomach to explode.

The firefish are a nice fish, the LFS had them dirt cheap, but I was worried about tank jumping.

I hope they all do well for you this time, especially the angel. Beautiful fish
Old 12/30/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb

So you are saying that I am stupid!!This coming from a drunken Aussie HMM.Now I am insulted
My misses reckons your not far wrong there mate. I doubt you'd be insulted, not a member of disturbed reefer
Old 12/30/2007, 08:33 PM
I am a super nose picker

knock on wood so far so good.I will be away for a few days so we shall se what happens.I can always cover the top of the tank while I am gone just in case.I did have a goby jump on me.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:34 PM
I am a super nose picker

No I never get insulted but I can dish them out! I still want J to use his avatar here.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

My wrasse did to, but I was lucky my wife was home and seen it. Picked it up, and chucked it straight back in. Alls good.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
No I never get insulted but I can dish them out! I still want J to use his avatar here.
Yeah it's a pearler all right.

How long do you think I would last here with mine
Old 12/30/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

I love your flame angel. Tank is looking good. Are you going to do anything for a back ground?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/30/2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
Yeah it's a pearler all right.

How long do you think I would last here with mine
Less than 5 minutes. If you posted in my thread, I would guess about 30 seconds.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Less than 5 minutes. If you posted in my thread, I would guess about 30 seconds.
30 seconds might be dropping the ball
Old 12/31/2007, 09:37 AM
I am a super nose picker

I was going to use a wall of pond foam(in the tank) for a back round but I decided not to.I figured I will just let coralline grow all over the back of the tank.I did that with my old tank.I had a blue back round in my old tank but it got kind of boring so I just let the coralline grow.Plus If I add a back round I would have to clean the back wall of the tank witch I don't have the space to get back there with my magnet so I would have to scrape it with my hands.I have easy access but I prefer not to stick my hands in the tank.I try not to place my hands in there if I can.Because I don't want to contaminate the water.I am still waiting for the legs for my lights.This will make moving the lights more simple.I have them on pvc pipes so If I want to move them its a bit of a pain.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:16 AM
Carpe Noctem

The tank is looking better as things color up
Old 12/31/2007, 10:24 AM
I am a super nose picker

Thanks.I wanted to order some salt.I have bought enough lately but I wanted to buy a better quality salt.I was looking to get tropic marine pro and read sea pro.Dr fosters was $ 13.99 to ship 3 buckets but it can take up to 7 business days.I didn't want my cousin to lift heavy buckets of salt so I will order the next time I go down.I wanted the salt to get to his house when I was there.This way he wouldn't have to lift a finger.I also didn't want the salt to get there after I leave.He would be stuck storing it till I visit again.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I was going to use a wall of pond foam(in the tank) for a back round but I decided not to.I figured I will just let coralline grow all over the back of the tank.I did that with my old tank.I had a blue back round in my old tank but it got kind of boring so I just let the coralline grow.Plus If I add a back round I would have to clean the back wall of the tank witch I don't have the space to get back there with my magnet so I would have to scrape it with my hands.I have easy access but I prefer not to stick my hands in the tank.I try not to place my hands in there if I can.Because I don't want to contaminate the water.I am still waiting for the legs for my lights.This will make moving the lights more simple.I have them on pvc pipes so If I want to move them its a bit of a pain.
I would think that I black background on your tank would look good and hide all of your wiring. Your overflow is black, are you going to scrape that of coraline? Keep it uniform and I think that you will like the look. I film background can always be removed if you don't like it down the road....JMO
Old 12/31/2007, 10:31 AM
I am a super nose picker

No I plan to leave the coralline to hide the wires and the back of the tank.I should have left more room behind the tank but because my basement is small I wanted the tank to stick out as little as possible.I didn't know my lights would have plugs on both ends.I would have preferred they had all the plugs on one end of the fixture.This way I would have had wires on the sides only and not in the middle.If the lights were suspended it would make it look better plus I could try to do something with the wires(wrap in pvc pipe or something like that)My wife doesn't want me to hang the fixture.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:37 AM
I am a super nose picker

If I had a canopy I could maybe get away with hiding the wires a bit easier.I could make the canopy a bit bigger than my top of the tank and have the wires on the side so you would only see them coming out my stand.I don't want to drain the tank to move it forward.The lights were a fair price so if I ever want something else I could sell it down the road.I will maybe see about getting my friend to build me a canopy to match my stand but I will also add molding to my stand.You would still see the wires on the side but the top of the tank would be covered